Explorer 2020 Amplified Upgrades

Good morning - we are looking into a 9 night Explorer cruise in early 2021 and I was looking for info on the planned upgrades as part of her "Royal Amplified" drydock next year. Hard to find specifics for Explorer's upgrades, but if it's similar to other Vision ships like Voyager & Navigator, I assume it will be pretty similar? Stuff like: New water coaster and speed slides, upgraded pool deck, Playmakers, Laser Tag, Escape Room, etc.? Anything else I missed? 

Sky Pad is also part of the typical overhauls. With the Sky Pad shutdown, has anyone heard if Royal is planning something different for that space going forward or are they going to "re-engineer" the Sky Pad concept?

3 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

Good morning - we are looking into a 9 night Explorer cruise in early 2021 and I was looking for info on the planned upgrades as part of her "Royal Amplified" drydock next year. Hard to find specifics for Explorer's upgrades, but if it's similar to other Vision ships like Voyager & Navigator, I assume it will be pretty similar? Stuff like: New water coaster and speed slides, upgraded pool deck, Playmakers, Laser Tag, Escape Room, etc.? Anything else I missed? 

Sky Pad is also part of the typical overhauls. With the Sky Pad shutdown, has anyone heard if Royal is planning something different for that space going forward or are they going to "re-engineer" the Sky Pad concept?

Just for clarification, Explorer, Voyager and Navigator are all Voyager class ships.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Most similar to Navigator I would guess.  Have heard nothing about Sky Pad.

Nav was specifically refitted for the 3/4 night demographic. Since EX is spending time in Europe, I can't see her being the exact same as Navigator, especially in terms of the pool deck.

4 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Nav was specifically refitted for the 3/4 night demographic. Since EX is spending time in Europe, I can't see her being the exact same as Navigator, especially in terms of the pool deck.

Yeah, I've read similar things like Nav and Voyager having different versions of Amped, but when you look at the fleet guide, they list the same highlights for all of them. Oh well, guess time will tell... 

2018-2019-Fleet_Guide.pdf

1 hour ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

I’m curious how the duration of the cruises would impact the pool deck. Climate I can understand but  duration has me stumped 🤔 

2 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’m curious how the duration of the cruises would impact the pool deck. Climate I can understand but  duration has me stumped 🤔 

Certain amenities would appeal to certain demographics. A strong pool deck and unique waterslides helps sell Navigator to the short cruise clientele. Explorer, doing longer Miami sailings and being based out of Italy won't need that. Pools aren't really as important in the Med to begin with.

Edited by CruisingJoe09
5 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Certain amenities would appeal to certain demographics. A strong pool deck and unique waterslides helps sell Navigator to the short cruise clientele. Explorer, doing longer Miami sailings and being based out of Italy won't need that. Pools aren't really as important in the Med to begin with.

Interesting. I’ve only sailed in Europe and med sailings tend to have a busy pool deck. Even on popular ports like Barcelona or Rome there is always people who stay on board or cut short they’re time off the ship for some reason. We don’t spend the full day off the ship because we have young children and they want time to play. I’d hate to think RC would ‘short change’ Explorer’s future passengers based on planned itineraries. 

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

Interesting. I’ve only sailed in Europe and med sailings tend to have a busy pool deck. Even on popular ports like Barcelona or Rome there is always people who stay on board or cut short they’re time off the ship for some reason. We don’t spend the full day off the ship because we have young children and they want time to play. I’d hate to think RC would ‘short change’ Explorer’s future passengers based on planned itineraries. 

EX's passengers aren't being short-changed. Neither Mariner or Voyager will have an updated pool deck, and if anything, Nav's pool deck is a bit over the top.