Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
ctjon

Ships sailing together

Noticed that both ocean ships leave Fl (one Miami, one Ft lauderdale ) on Nov 24 both with sea day then both Grand Turk. I wonder if they will sail with each other.  Would be fun

I was onboard a number of years ago and yes the sea conditions were good and the ships shadowed each other for a number of hours until each went off in their own direction. 

On another occasion both ships met up in Grand Turk, crew members had great reunions, guests were allowed onboard the other ship with refreshments available in Palm, keycards had to be left with security on boarding. There was a "Battle of the Bands" where the crew member music groups played separately and together. A good time was had by all.

Jonathan that is a good question.  Either way it will be very exciting when they are in port together.

I see Symphony arrives to Grand Turk one hour before Serenity so the folks on Symphony will have great views as Serenity comes into port and when Symphony leave Grand Turk an hour before Serenity departs guests on Serenity will get to watch her leave port.  

These are events that are most memorable.  We've had encounters with Symphony two times and the former Harmony (Asuka II) a couple of times.  I remember them as if they took place yesterday and the first time was with the former Harmony 11+ years ago.

In 2014, We were on Serenity in Singapore when Symphony arrived and we had close to a day together.  We were able to visit Symphony which was terrific.

A few years earlier we were on Serenity heading from Miami  to Los Angeles while Symphony was heading Los Angeles to Miami.  We met at one point and each ship slowed down as we spent 30 minutes or so together.  I remember it was Josef Matt's Birthday so we all sang Happy Birthday to him.

One time in 2008 we were on Serenity and were together with Asuka II for about an hour as we both were in  Milford Sound.  Since Serenity has the pods and can turn on a dime, we danced with her.  In 2015, we were in port with Asuka II in Aukland but there were too many guests so we couldn't visit her.  At least we could walk up to her and take some photos.

Keith

Don't forget the meeting of Symphony and Serenity in 2018 when both met in Sydney on their respective world cruises. Serenity was anchored in the harbor when the Symphony passed us and led the Serenity back out to sea.

Rob

They were both supposed to be in Ft. Lauderdale but apparently there were too many ships there at least one of the days and Symphony was moved to Miami.  Perhaps just one day where that happened but moving just once would have violated PVSA.

Roy

When we  were in Hakodate  earlier this year in mall they had a display of ships visiting this year - up there was Harmony.  It would have been great to see her after all these years and remember the great times.

When in port together I wonder if any passengers or crew head to the wrong ship.

We are on the Symphony sailing during this time, I note in our confirmation we will be tendering in Grand Turk.  Hoping we can still visit Serenity, if this is the case, as we have plans to sail Serenity next year and it would be great to get an advance look.

41 minutes ago, jbandkb said:

We are on the Symphony sailing during this time, I note in our confirmation we will be tendering in Grand Turk.  Hoping we can still visit Serenity, if this is the case, as we have plans to sail Serenity next year and it would be great to get an advance look.

They will let you know when you are on-board.

Crystal has been very good about this so hopefully you will be able to visit.  We were able to in the past.

Keith

Thanks, we will consider it an added bonus if visiting is possible.

We are on the Symphony during this sailing as well and will be trying out the Serenity next summer for the first time.  It would be fun to get an advance screening.

How great!  We are on the November 24th sailing too on Serenity!  There is someone on the board going on Symphony then too . I thought were were sailing on the same ship at first.  Well, we can still meet up

I'm on the Symphony sailing so I guess that means Grand Turk will be another sea day, I absolutely detest tendering and avoid it as much as possible.

Ridiculous itinerary planning by Crystal.

32 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I'm on the Symphony sailing so I guess that means Grand Turk will be another sea day, I absolutely detest tendering and avoid it as much as possible.

Sorry the tender won't work out for you.  I realize some people can't or don't like tendering.

For what it is worth when we've tendered this one has been relatively easy with a very short tender ride.

We've done it both ways at Grand Turk.  Have been docked.  Have tendered.

We do enjoy the small island.  In the past we've walked over to the parking area and arranged for someone to take us around the Island.  You can see most of it in a few hours.  

For those who enjoy the beach there is a beautiful beach right at the pier with lots of sand and a few activities such as volley ball.  Within a few minute walk is shops and a pool area and restaurants.

I believe Carnival built the surrounding area.

For us it is one of our favorite Caribbean ports just to relax.

On the other hand on Caribbean cruises which often have very few sea days making a sea day on the ship can be nice when the majority of people go ashore.

On a related note, I see you list being from Bermuda.  Love Bermuda.  Unfortunately, last time we tendered there and unlike Grand Turk that tender was something like 30 minutes or more each way.  😀  That was a place where I wish we had docked.  

Keith

30 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

What the heck?  I get it, some people have difficulty tendering (or simply can’t), but it’s not like it’s a first choice for Crystal — it’s usually the decision to either tender because the port doesn’t have a dock or it’s not available, or not call there at all...  And there’s only so many times you can keep passing up ports that way before your itinerary looks like Swiss cheese.  I love sea days more than most, but I’d still rather tender most places than skip them altogether.  It’s always a lot cheaper and easier logistically and operationally for the ship to dock when it can.

Vince 

I have seen it say Tender on the itinerary but it actually docked.  Maybe the RCCL Monster of the Seas is there.

15 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I have seen it say Tender on the itinerary but it actually docked.  Maybe the RCCL Monster of the Seas is there.

Since we're talking Grand Turk and the "port" was built by Carnival Corp., it more likely is the Carnival Behemoth! 😱🤡

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Kathy I do agree that PCPC could be wrong.  It has happened before.  😀

I think in this case that one of the Crystal ships would be anchored.  If there is a mistake it would be which one As best .I can tell there might be four ships in port that day and that one of them is a Carnival Ship.  I think the other one is HAL.

This will be a busy time for the Caribbean.  It's part of their peak season. It's only getting more congested with so many new ships coming on line.  Same for some of the USA ports.

Keith

Posted (edited)

Keith, you were very unlucky to have to tender in Bermuda, our dock schedule is usually better controlled, tendering is seldom necessary.

As for GT, if there's going to be 4 ships in port (where there are only two berths so someone's tendering) it'll be crowded so I'm even more sure it'll be a sea day for me. I've been to GT many times before so I don't feel the need to go ashore, even to see the 'Bermudian' architecture in Cockburn Town (it kinda is) altho' I would recommend the little museum in town, it's one of the best small museums on the islands of the Atlantic and Caribbean. And sorry but that's a little bugbear of mine - Grand Turk, like the Bahamas and Bermuda, is not in the Caribbean, it's in the Atlantic - seems like a lot of people think that all the small islands are automatically in the Caribbean!

PS What I consider ridiculous about Crystal's planning is to have two of their own ships in a two berth port on the same day. And a port with a rather small capacity at that.

Edited by jollyjones

10 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

PS What I consider ridiculous about Crystal's planning is to have two of their own ships in a two berth port on the same day. And a port with a rather small capacity at that.

Not trying to start anything as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd guess that many more Crystal cruisers would find that as a feature rather than a bug! 😎

Patty

33 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Keith, you were very unlucky to have to tender in Bermuda, our dock schedule is usually better controlled, tendering is seldom necessary.

As for GT, if there's going to be 4 ships in port (where there are only two berths so someone's tendering) it'll be crowded so I'm even more sure it'll be a sea day for me. I've been to GT many times before so I don't feel the need to go ashore, even to see the 'Bermudian' architecture in Cockburn Town (it kinda is) altho' I would recommend the little museum in town, it's one of the best small museums on the islands of the Atlantic and Caribbean. And sorry but that's a little bugbear of mine - Grand Turk, like the Bahamas and Bermuda, is not in the Caribbean, it's in the Atlantic - seems like a lot of people think that all the small islands are automatically in the Caribbean!

jollyjones...Yes I would have preferred being docked.  I believe the priority goes to the ships that sail regularly plus given size of Serenity Hamilton of course is not an option.  We honeymooned in Bermuda and then returned with our children two consecutive years on Celebrity ships. It's funny I remember the days when no more than two ships in port and that was back when only Hamilton was used.  I also remember the days when they didn't allow cruise ships on the weekends but I believe the reason this one changed is due to the need to maximize tourism and increase the economy.  I also remember the days when to add hotel rooms they had to eliminate the same amount by taking down a hotel.  We will be returning to Bermuda in a few years on one of our Crystal voyages and hoping we will be docked.

It's funny how we all see things differently.  One of the things I do when itineraries come out and we make our bookings is to see if Symphony and Serenity will be in port together.  For me it is terrific when that happens for the possibility of visiting the other ship and seeing members of the crew who we know so well and if it's been awhile since we sailed the other ship to see any changes.  I also thought it was nice recently with Serenity in port when I believe one of the River Cruise vessels was in port in Amsterdam and to also see some familiar faces from the river cruise  headquarters in Amsterdam  getting read to welcome the guests.  For me it is a really treat when the ships are in port together and I wish it could happen more but realize that most times of the year they are sailing different parts of the world.

Cunard is into this and there are times when they are all together to celebrate events, etc.  We took Cunard only one time and coincidentally it was on one of the anniversaries for QM2 so they were able to have the other two Queens in port at Southampton and they had fireworks, etc.  We enjoyed it.

I do agree that Grand Turk will be crowded (at least the beach area).  For better or worse this is the reality of the Caribbean that time of year as similarly it is the reality of many ports in the Mediterranean in the summer months or Alaska this time of year.

Keith

On 8/18/2019 at 11:29 AM, Keith1010 said:

I think the other one is HAL.

It's the Nieuw Amsterdam, one of HAL's larger ships but not really a mega ship.  It has a capacity of about 2100.

I'm on the Symphony, having just gotten off Serenity 2 days earlier.  I'm hoping there will be some joint programs although I see no immediate need to visit Serenity again.

Roy

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'd guess that many more Crystal cruisers would find that as a feature rather than a bug! 😎

Patty

We're on Serenity for this cruise and event, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I mean it beats gawking at some other line's gargantua while quoting Star Wars: "Look at the size of that thing!"

On one sailing in Alaska, we were waiting to get into the College Fjprds when a Carnival Ship exited.  Some one shouted "Look - there are animals"  Everyone came running with their cameras and binoculars.  The same person shouted " Party Animals" 

hahahahahah