Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
tamilyn

Returned from cruise - who to contact about errors on billing statement?

We just returned from a cruise on the Equinox.  Had a great trip; however, there were some charges on our statement that I would like to question.  First, we had a "free" drink package as one of our perks.  Once onboard, we were told it was not a "premium" package, so we upgraded for $10 pp per day - should have been $70 each, right?  We were charged $84 per person.

Then, there were charges for $15 per day per person for gratuities.  We had already prepaid gratuities in the amount of $385 each.  We were told at Guest Services that the extra $15 per day per person was because we upgraded to the premium package - what???

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would like some further clarification.  Just doesn't leave a very good taste in my mouth.  My husband did go down to Guest Services after we received the bill on the final night, but the person he spoke with didn't seem very helpful.  We are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean, but this was our first time on Celebrity.  

If anyone knows who I could contact at Celebrity to get some clarification on this, I would appreciate the information.

The upgrade to the premium package includes a 20% gratuity...so $12 a day,  not $10.  So that is correct.

If you call Celebrity they will be able to see that you prepaid the gratuities and credit your account.   They are very good about this.

Would love to hear more about your trip!  Please share or  do a review! 

The drinks package upgrade is $10 + 20% per day per person so total for 7 days would $84.

$15 per day per person could be for the daily gratuities.

You have said that you prepaid gratuities of $385 which = $55  per person per day. Doesn’t seem correct. What did your booking docs say?

24 minutes ago, micheleata said:

The upgrade to the premium package includes a 20% gratuity...so $12 a day,  not $10.  So that is correct.

If you call Celebrity they will be able to see that you prepaid the gratuities and credit your account.   They are very good about this.

Would love to hear more about your trip!  Please share or  do a review! 

Ok, that makes sense that the $10 would include a 20% gratuity - hence the $12, or $84 total.

I will try to do a review soon - back to work this morning, ugh!

24 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

The drinks package upgrade is $10 + 20% per day per person so total for 7 days would $84.

You have said that you prepaid gratuities of $385 which = $55  per person per day. Doesn’t seem correct. What did your booking docs say?

Thank you, I think I understand the $84 now.  

Our booking documents say $385 per person per day for gratuities, which we prepaid, so I'm still a little puzzled about why we would have been charged an extra $15 per person per day when our final billing statement arrived. The person at Guest Services said it was because we upgraded to the premium drink package???  

27 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Yes, this doesn't sound like it was the daily gratuities.  A regular balcony is 14.5 pp p day = 203 (for a seven night cruise) AQ or CC is 15 pp p day = 210 and suites are 18 pp p day = 252.  Not sure what the $385 was....

To answer your question, just call Celebrity's main guest relations number and they can see your account: 1-844-418-6824

The $385 per person works out to $55/day, which was the daily price for the Classic Package until the last price change, and you may have booked before that price change happened.  The most likely scenario is that your booking invoice showed this charge with a credit elsewhere on the statement to show that it was included in the total price.  It can be confusing.  Was there a code associated with this $385 on your original booking confirmation?

46 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

To answer your question, just call Celebrity's main guest relations number and they can see your account: 1-844-418-6824

The $385 per person works out to $55/day, which was the daily price for the Classic Package until the last price change, and you may have booked before that price change happened.  The most likely scenario is that your booking invoice showed this charge with a credit elsewhere on the statement to show that it was included in the total price.  It can be confusing.  Was there a code associated with this $385 on your original booking confirmation?

Thank you!  Yes, this is the information I was looking for.  I will give them a call.  

It looks like the code on my original booking would be YEF5.

Just a quick FYI....these types of errors occasionally happen and I always tell our family & friends to be certain to check your bill closely before disembarking the ship and go to guest services with any questions prior to leaving the ship. 

Always take a copy of your cruise confirmation and any upgrades/reservations/grautities you pre-paid for so you have some documentation with you onboard.  It is much easier to get these things resolved on the ship than it is when you get home.

Good luck, Tamilyn.  Hope you get the corrections made.

If you want to pay a few thousand extra and book royal or penthouse suites they will throw in drink package 

11 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Just a quick FYI....these types of errors occasionally happen and I always tell our family & friends to be certain to check your bill closely before disembarking the ship and go to guest services with any questions prior to leaving the ship. 

Always take a copy of your cruise confirmation and any upgrades/reservations/grautities you pre-paid for so you have some documentation with you onboard.  It is much easier to get these things resolved on the ship than it is when you get home.

11 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Yes, we had all documentation with us and took to Guest Services before disembarking, but the representative wasn't very helpful and we were in a hurry, so we left without getting it resolved.  They may be correct, but it just seems a little deceptive to me, and I guess we will know better next time - lesson learned.  Although most everything else was great, we will probably be sticking with Royal Caribbean - this just didn't sit well with me, even though I'm willing to take the blame for not being as knowledgeable as I should have been, even after 25+ cruises.  I am going to call later.  This is my first day back at work, so it will have to wait.  Ugh!

Thanks for your help! 

Mistakes can and do happen. That's why I check my account everyday and after I make a purchase. I've found charges for sodas when I always have a Premium Package and once an excursion that I didn't purchase. The charges were quickly removed from my account. Much easier to correct errors while on the ship. 

Tamilyn ~ something doesn't sound right.  You shouldn't have been charged for the classic drink package on board if it was included in your cruise fare.  I know waiting on the phone can be a pain but I'd encourage you to see it through.

I know everyone is in a hurry to disembark.  I suggest checking your onboard account every day.  The type of thing you are talking about (the $55 charge) would have shown on your account early in the cruise.  Then check it on the final night before putting your luggage out and head down if there are problems.  If you aren't getting much assistance, ask to see the Guest Services supervisor or the Hotel Director.  Things do happen but they should be happy to help you figure it out before you leave the ship.  When you see these kinds of charges, always ask to see something that shows you actually "signed" for these charges.  They have to have proof that you incurred the charges.  

Don't blame yourself.  There is a lot of confusing things with all the various perks, etc today.  I do hope they will  help you figure everything out.  

Looks like Orator and I were posting at the same time 🙂

we had an issues with our accounts there was 7 of us and we all had $150 OBC from the line and then $150 from the TA.  We spent most of line OBC before we boarded so only had about $20-50pp max left. We then used an additional amount each all more than the line OBC that was left. However, when we went to get ouR TA obc credit on the last night we noticed that they did not credit the ammount of OBC that was left from the line saying that the TA OBC was used before the line OBC - we know this is not the case but had to leave and go back later to get a different rep to get it sorted out.  There seems to be a lack of awareness by the staff.

46 minutes ago, Orator said:

Mistakes can and do happen. That's why I check my account everyday and after I make a purchase. I've found charges for sodas when I always have a Premium Package and once an excursion that I didn't purchase. The charges were quickly removed from my account. Much easier to correct errors while on the ship. 

I, too,check my account daily.  On a recent sailing there was an error.  I asked the Retreat Concierge to have the charge reversed as I too have the Premium Package and should have no charges for a drink I purchased in Rendezvous Lounge.  The charge was never reversed onboard although I reminded to Concierge several times.  Once at home I contacted Celebrity and spoke to a very nice gentleman who asked me for my credit card number and said I should see a credit within 10-14 days.  Almost 3 weeks passed and no credit.  I sent an email and this very nice gentleman called and left me a message indicating that he did request the refund and if I still didn't see it on my credit card to call him back.  I called him back several hours after he left the message - he was busy helping another person on the phone but I spoke with a very nice young lady who told me, yes, she could see where XXX requested the credit but I don't see where our Accounting Department made any disbursement.  She told me that XXX would call me back "tomorrow" with all the information on where my credit was.  The next day - Crickets.  Never heard back from XXX at Celebrity and a full week has passed and no word from him and no credit posted to my credit card.  I give up.  Not worth my aggravation trying to deal with them to get a measly $6 back......BUT just imagine how much money Celebrity could make on a weekly basis if they overcharged every passenger by $6.  I guess they need my six bucks more than I do!!

59 minutes ago, fragilek said:

There seems to be a lack of awareness by the staff.

I agree,  and sometimes a language barrier.   Sometimes they just don't understand what you are saying,  even if they say they understand.   Trying again later with a different representative or asking for a supervisor works wonders,  in person or on the phone.    

Always check your account on the tv screen in your cabin.  Do not wait until the end of the cruise.  There are always errors. Usually a call to guest service will get somebody to correct the mistakes.  After you disembark, call Celebrity and explain the problem.  I have often had extra charges posted after we left the cruise. They are small.  Last time it was less than$10.  . Save your final statement to verify that the same amount has been charged to your credit card.  When I called Celebrity, they said that it happens all the time. The charge was for something in the minibar. We had everything removed at the start of the cruise.  It was an inconvience, but it says tons about how Celebrity charges extra.