Payment defaulted, have to repay a week before the cruise!

Templ_19

I actually called today for something else and after being stuck on hold for 45mins while they tried to sort things out, they figured out the issues had to do with the refund and they charged me again.

Just hoping that they don’t auto charge me now that they manually charged me!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 8:49 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Hmmm... I thought I had read somewhere here that NCL *was* willing to refund all money, but now I can't find that.

That would make sense, b/c it was their "mistake" (wonder whatever happened!).

But that doesn't solve the sunk costs for air or hotels, etc.

It seems very peculiar, that NCL would suddenly "refund" some money that had been paid some time ago...!?

GC

Not at all. My guess is another issue from the airfare system change. We were refunded $1328 in three chunks, the week after our flights had been ticketed. Neither my mother or I touched the refunds, figuring it was an error but hoping it was a gift, lol.

They came back this week with an adjustment. Collected the $1000 from my mother's card that got that refund then showed a balance due for the $328, exactly what had come back to my card. I paid it online and now we are all set.

We made final payment on May 1st.

OP - You said you spent some of the $900 pay what you have left over and take the rest out of your spending money. If you can return anything you bought with the $900, consider doing that, including canceling any excursions or service charges or other items you have prebooked and prepaid. 

Edited by Nola26

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, DirtyDawg said:

BTW. Mrs, Dawg, who is a CPA, just double paid a $10 grand credit card bill. As I said, stuff happens....to everybody.

Prepaid expense. Perfectly fine and acceptable. 

5 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Prepaid expense. Perfectly fine and acceptable. 

True, but I wanted that cash for the margin for my S&P 500 market short sale. So I had to short a lot less last week.😭

🤫  That's the story I'm telling her.😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

10 hours ago, orimeep said:

I actually called today for something else and after being stuck on hold for 45mins while they tried to sort things out, they figured out the issues had to do with the refund and they charged me again.

Just hoping that they don’t auto charge me now that they manually charged me!

If they auto charge hopefully you catch it right away and call CC company . They will see it's a double charge in a short timeframe.

It may be a PIA but check your CC account daily!

• Like 1

it amazes me hwo many people dont know how to balance their checkbook and stay on top of their finances.  even $50 extra in my account would not go unnoticed.

reminds me of a girl i used to work with years ago to complained her landlord cashed her rent checks late and they'd bounce.  She'd always say that the money was there when the check was written and that it was his fault for cashing it late because then the money was spent elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, Templ_19 said:

Hello, I’m hoping I can receive some friendly advice on how to handle this situation. On May 31st I paid the for my cruise in its entirety. I received confirmation and booking information regarding my flights, room, and boarding information both via email and the Norwegian agent who has been facilitating my arrangements. I completed my online check in weeks ago, and today I was informed that two weeks ago my payment from May was refunded to my banking account and that I have to repay it . Our cruise sets sail on the 28th if this month. Just 16 days away. I was unaware of the defaulted payment (and apparently so was my agent who I’ve been in contact with weekly since May) and I’m unable to pay $900 again with such short notice, as I get paid monthly. Are there any options for me? Is this my fault or the companies? I’ve gone over documents and  itineraries that reflect the refunded payment and still showed that I was in good standing and that I didn’t owe anything. I’m at a loss. Thanks in advance fr any advice! 

You had $900 returned to your account and "didn't notice".  Someone needs to learn how to budget and track money better.  Your options are to pay the $900 or miss your cruise.

Edited by Birdie And Sue
  • Like 2

Some of these responses were kind of harsh.  I guess the rest of you have never had to live paycheck to paycheck, and have never gotten behind on things.  

Templ I hope you have it figured out.  It’s awful that this happened - I doubt you would get much of a refund from them this late, too.  Could you borrow money from anyone?

best of luck to you 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

it amazes me hwo many people dont know how to balance their checkbook and stay on top of their finances.  even $50 extra in my account would not go unnoticed.

reminds me of a girl i used to work with years ago to complained her landlord cashed her rent checks late and they'd bounce.  She'd always say that the money was there when the check was written and that it was his fault for cashing it late because then the money was spent elsewhere.

I am not board police, but this post just came across as kind of mean, mocking and heartless. I doubt that was your intention, but OP is feeling low and stressed, try to have compassion and offer suggestions or have empathy.

It isn't unreasonable to think that NCL's credit was a correction, they don't send an email explaining the change. Even the pay your bill email does not mention the fact that they credited you in error. I happened to assume it was a system error and that NCL would come back for it, but we could have easily fist bummed our way to the mall with$1328 to spend.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, czimm said:

Some of these responses were kind of harsh.  I guess the rest of you have never had to live paycheck to paycheck, and have never gotten behind on things.  

Templ I hope you have it figured out.  It’s awful that this happened - I doubt you would get much of a refund from them this late, too.  Could you borrow money from anyone?

best of luck to you 

Living paycheck to paycheck is one of the things that teaches people to budget my money and know where it is going.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

+1,000,000

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Living paycheck to paycheck is one of the things that teaches people to budget my money and know where it is going.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Back in "those days", I watched my charge card and checking account balances like a hawk!

GC

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

I am not board police, but this post just came across as kind of mean, mocking and heartless. I doubt that was your intention, but OP is feeling low and stressed, try to have compassion and offer suggestions or have empathy.

It isn't unreasonable to think that NCL's credit was a correction, they don't send an email explaining the change. Even the pay your bill email does not mention the fact that they credited you in error. I happened to assume it was a system error and that NCL would come back for it, but we could have easily fist bummed our way to the mall with$1328 to spend.

Except she even stated explicitly said when asked whether the money was actually returned "It was, and I hadn’t noticed. I had a lot of transactions around the time it was refunded so I guess I over looked it ".  The key word in your post is "ASSUME".

No one has mocked anyone.  Fact is that no one here can tell here what her options are.  She needs to call NCL and discuss this with them.  She owes $900 and however NCL chooses to allow her to pay that is between her and NCL.

Edited by Birdie And Sue
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

OP did know, it went to NCL. What OP didn't know is when it came back it was a mistake rather than a bonus. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 4:59 PM, CruiseGal999 said:

The random refund DID happen.  The OP OWES the $900 BACK to NCL.   Cruise being cancelled NEVER happened, as far as I have read in this thread.  

That's the way I read it.  I don't know why someone would say the OP is lucky their cruise wasn't cancelled. 

• Like 1

Obviously the OP has gotten any possible advice they could have to try and help fix his issue.

Having said that...if you don't have access to $900 (bank account, line of credit etc) you probably shouldn't be going on a cruise. I know it sounds harsh but having access to funds in case things happen is essential. Most people have lived paycheck to paycheck at one point in their life but again...having access to a line of credit is a must. If you don't even have that then you should NOT be going on a cruise anywhere.

• Like 3

Man alive. If you don’t have an extra $900 laying around, consider this NCL mix up a blessing from Heavenly Father. 

Take the full refund and use the time you would have spent laying next to the pool or trekking around Cozumel to get your finances back in order. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

ABSOLUTELY!!

Back in "those days", I watched my charge card and checking account balances like a hawk!

GC

I'm so obsessed with balancing our checkbook that at minimum it's once a week. When you have different dates for direct withdrawal ( 4 of those) it's essential. 

I want to know where my money is. $900.00 would be a huge "red flag".

• Like 2