Cruise Critic Community
norboy76

what happened to dressing properly in specialty dining?

I think the reason why you're not seeing people get dressed up is because the cruiselines have created a more casual dining atmosphere.  We took our first cruise 15 years ago (on Royal) and I recall there being a midnight buffet, a chocolate buffet, formal night was 5 courses and included a granite course to cleanse the palate, most evening meals in the dining room took upwards of 90 minutes to finish (and only offered two traditional dining times) and the overall food quality was better.  Today most lines offer MyTime dining or some variation of it, dinner doesn't take as long as there isn't as many courses, special buffets are gone and formal nights no longer offer a special menu.  

Since the onboard atmosphere and overall dining experience is more relaxed, it only makes sense that passengers are dressing more casual as well.

it's all about personal preference. 

On 1/29/2020 at 7:04 PM, lovemylab said:

I don't think age has anything to with it.  I've seen people of all ages not abiding by the dress code/suggested attire for the restaurants.  

Agree. The worst dressed person - a man - in one of our specialty restaurants was probably our age (70s) in baggy jeans and tee.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:21 AM, clo said:

Agree. The worst dressed person - a man - in one of our specialty restaurants was probably our age (70s) in baggy jeans and tee.

Worst dressed man I've seen on a cruise:  a man in his later years who was still wearing the tuxedo he bought 20-30 years ago and is now 2 sizes too small...  If he wanted to wear a tux, he should have rented from one of those online tux rental places (the Black Tie, Generation Tux, Men's Wearhouse, etc.)  Yes, he was abiding by "the code", but he looked worse than some of the men in those khakis and polo shirts...

We recently were on the Adventure of the Sea. We saw 1 tux on Formal night. Most people were dressed like they were going to the grocery store or a swap meet. The girl at the next table had cutoffs with the requisite holes. Yes, the party wore different outfits during the week so their luggage was not lost.  I am at a loss of words on this subject because I try to be polite.

We were on a Disney cruise over the summer and we dressed up for their “formal night” and we were one of the only families on the whole ship that dressed up and we got stared at big time. Now, fast forward a few nights and they had “pirate night” and almost every family was participating and the number of men in a Jack Sparrow costume, complete with makeup, was shocking.

I honestly feel like if there is a dress code then it should be enforced. And as far as a tux/gown for “formal night”, they could just make it “cocktail attire”, and that has a little more breadth to it- slacks and a button down (tie/coat optional) for men and a dress or dressy pants w/top for the ladies. And then have the rest of the nights cruise casual. We are about to cruise CCL and they have two dining rooms- one with a set time and the other more “freestyle.” They could always make the one with the set time adhere to the dress code and the “freestyle” one could be more relaxed. But who knows... We tend to dress nicely for dinner every night regardless. 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:16 AM, Alatraveler1 said:

Trying not to make excuses, but when you could check up to two bags for free on airlines i would take formal wear or at least suits for nightly dining and it would take one suitcase and one garment bag.  

We travel Internationally, stay a few days pre and post cruise , often cruise for 18-19 nights and manage to pack formal clothing in one checked bag each. We take a rollaboard each as well, in case of delayed baggage. Have never packed lightly but manage everything within the 50lb limit . We don't re wear clothes either !

On 2/7/2020 at 1:57 AM, lindsay0526 said:

I honestly feel like if there is a dress code then it should be enforced.  

Agree whole heartedly !!

Enforced on all ships across the fleet, in  all areas.

Then we would all know where we stand and what to pack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Agree whole heartedly !!

Enforced on all ships across the fleet, in  all areas.

Then we would all know where we stand and what to pack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know where to stand now and you know what to pack.

You can pack anything you want and you won't be over or underdressed.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

You know where to stand now and you know what to pack.

You can pack anything you want and you won't be over or underdressed.

That’s not quite true ...several people have mentioned being asked to change from shorts to long trousers on smart casual nights in MDR!!!!

5 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

That’s not quite true ...several people have mentioned being asked to change from shorts to long trousers on smart casual nights in MDR!!!!

Taking one pair of long pants doesn't require an overstuffed suit case.  

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Taking one pair of long pants doesn't require an overstuffed suit case.  

True!

However that doesn’t necessarily mean ‘take what you want’ ! As you mentioned in your previous post!

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

True!

However that doesn’t necessarily mean ‘take what you want’ ! As you mentioned in your previous post!

It's closer to reality than those taking sixteen tops for a nine day cruise.