Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
meglet

any speculation on Empress smoking policy change

Recommended Posts

Given that the Empress will probably attract an older crowd to Bermuda next summer (given all the larger bells and whistles types ships sailing there more likely to attract families), I wonder if they might be considering any changes to their casino policy.  Especially with a 2 level casino, I was surprised to read that it is completely no smoking.  Older people have a greater rate of smoking than younger people. I could be wrong, but I thought Royal allowed smoking in the casino on other of their ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meglet said:

 ... I could be wrong, but I thought Royal allowed smoking in the casino on other of their ships.

 

Currently, Royal allows smoking in the casino on all other ships, except those that are based out of the UK and Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they change the construction and design of the casino on Empress I can’t see them changing the policy. As it stands the casino (which is incredibly small) is situated in an open corridor, I don’t know there would be any way to adequately circulate and purify the air in that area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I didn't know what the surrounding areas were; just that there were 2 levels, so air suckers on the second level seemed like a real possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Currently, Royal allows smoking in the casino on all other ships, except those that are based out of the UK and Australia.

 

I thought I heard that somewhere...but could not remember where.  So for example, ....I am on Serenade with embarkation out of Sydney.  Does that mean no smoking at all ....anywhere on the ship, for each sailing out of Sydney?  I am also on it when they have embarkation out of Perth as well.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, island lady said:

 

I thought I heard that somewhere...but could not remember where.  So for example, ....I am on Serenade with embarkation out of Sydney.  Does that mean no smoking at all ....anywhere on the ship, for each sailing out of Sydney?  I am also on it when they have embarkation out of Perth as well.   

 

It just means no indoor smoking (or balcony smoking). The regular outdoor smoking areas are still in place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coralc said:

 

It just means no indoor smoking (or balcony smoking). The regular outdoor smoking areas are still in place. 

 

So the only change with Aussie embarkation is no smoking in the casino?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, meglet said:

Given that the Empress will probably attract an older crowd to Bermuda next summer (given all the larger bells and whistles types ships sailing there more likely to attract families), I wonder if they might be considering any changes to their casino policy.  Especially with a 2 level casino, I was surprised to read that it is completely no smoking.  Older people have a greater rate of smoking than younger people. I could be wrong, but I thought Royal allowed smoking in the casino on other of their ships.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

 

I think it depends on where you divide the older v. younger crowd. If you divide it between 44 and 45 years old, then the younger set smokes more.

 

I'm all for ending smoking in casinos, but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

I thought I heard that somewhere...but could not remember where.  So for example, ....I am on Serenade with embarkation out of Sydney.  Does that mean no smoking at all ....anywhere on the ship, for each sailing out of Sydney?  I am also on it when they have embarkation out of Perth as well.   

 

No smoking inside the ship.  I believe smoking is still allowed on the outside decks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

No smoking inside the ship.  I believe smoking is still allowed on the outside decks.

 

Excellent!!!  😍🤗  Thanks Bob! 

 

Doing my happy dance!!  No awful casino Chimney smoke through the Centrum for almost four months!!  😄  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

 

I'm all for ending smoking in casinos, but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not in my lifetime.

 

I don’t think that it’s that far off given that they don’t allow smoking in the casino on Celebrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

 

I'm all for ending smoking in casinos, but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not in my lifetime.

You plan on dying in the next 5 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

 

I don’t think that it’s that far off given that they don’t allow smoking in the casino on Celebrity. 

 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

 

I don’t think that it’s that far off given that they don’t allow smoking in the casino on Celebrity. 

Nor on Royal ships embarking from countries other than USA (and the ships still sail full) 

Smoke free casinos aren’t far off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, island lady said:

 

Excellent!!!  😍🤗  Thanks Bob! 

 

Doing my happy dance!!  No awful casino Chimney smoke through the Centrum for almost four months!!  😄  

 

Four months?  Wanna adopt me 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I'm all for ending smoking in casinos, but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not in my lifetime.

 

I am a smoker and I am more than happy for there to be _no_ smoking inside.

two reasons:

1) I smoke less if i have to go to a location to smoke.

2) You realise how much it smells when its inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fyree39 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

 

I think it depends on where you divide the older v. younger crowd. If you divide it between 44 and 45 years old, then the younger set smokes more.

 

I'm all for ending smoking in casinos, but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not in my lifetime.

Surprising stats, would like younger Gen wouldn't be as high. Still lot lower then 30yrs ago....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Casino Comp Chick, I too am disappointed.  Thought I had found next summer's vacation in the Royal Suite.  But on a smaller ship, I think I would want to spend more time in the casino and without even being able to vape, I know I wouldn't be happy.  Glad there are more choices for non smoker/gamblers though.  I can pick another ship and line.  I liked the price and itinerary on Empress though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, voyager70 said:

 

Four months?  Wanna adopt me 😜

 

Big bucket list check off there.  😉  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Unless they change the construction and design of the casino on Empress I can’t see them changing the policy. As it stands the casino (which is incredibly small) is situated in an open corridor, I don’t know there would be any way to adequately circulate and purify the air in that area. 

I think your more likely to see other ships in the fleet prohibit smoking in the Casino than allowing smoking on Empress Casino. 

 

What is “old” people?  Statistics show long term smoking shortens life expectancy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think your more likely to see other ships in the fleet prohibit smoking in the Casino than allowing smoking on Empress Casino. 

Agree 100%, it’s inevitable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...