Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
rogueriver

Golden No Longer Scheduled for MedallionNet?

Recommended Posts

We will be on the Golden sailing from Sydney to Los Angeles in April 2020.  Previously I read that the Golden would be getting MedallionNet by December 2019, but that is no longer indicated on the latest announcement from Princess.  I'm thinking they may have decided not to do it since the ship is being sold. That would really be disappointing since I was looking forward to a good internet connection. Does anyone know the latest scoop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently received an email saying medallion net will not be available on our August 2020 sailing.  The email states that it will not be available until late 2020 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn’t understand why they’d do it when they are transferring her to P&O, unless they are going to expand the Medallion to P&O pretty soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I couldn’t understand why they’d do it when they are transferring her to P&O, unless they are going to expand the Medallion to P&O pretty soon.

 

Medallion is eventually for all of Carnival's brands.   "When", however, is fuzzy 🙂

 

Check the logos at the bottom of https://ocean.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received the email, too. My question on CC was just before the email came through. Bummer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Haboob said:

 

Medallion is eventually for all of Carnival's brands.   "When", however, is fuzzy 🙂

 

Check the logos at the bottom of https://ocean.com

But as I said unless P&O is S.O.O.N. do they really want just one ship in that fleet with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We received an email this morning stating that it won't now be available for our cruise next February to New Zealand. They mentioned that it will now be late 2020.  Not that it affects us, I am quite happy to use the Elite package of free internet and I won't have to worry about where to hang or put the medallion!  We will be on the Grand in 2021 and we can enjoy using the Medallion then.

Jennie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the exact wording in today's email:

 

"Your upcoming sailing on Golden Princess® will be marked by relaxing days at sea and adventures in port. While we had expected that MedallionNet would be available in time
for your cruise, its launch on this ship has been pushed to late 2020.

You can still stay connected at sea with our standard Wi-Fi packages and enjoy pre-cruise savings by purchasing them through the Cruise Personalizer. Platinum and Elite Captain’s Circle members can use their allotted internet minutes as they would on any voyage.

We appreciate your understanding and can’t wait to welcome you aboard!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

"Your upcoming sailing on Golden Princess® will be marked by relaxing days at sea and adventures in port. While we had expected that MedallionNet would be available in time
for your cruise, its launch on this ship has been pushed to late 2020.

 

...looks like medallion net is following the same rollout at medallions...

 

Here are some date...

 

Here are some changes to those dates...

 

Repeat...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, it will be available on the Golden from late 2020.  Better go and book a cruise on that ship for that period.  Oh, wait a minute ...

 

Strange and unnecessarily misleading comment given there will be no Golden Princess to install it on by late 2020!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand not spending all the money if Princess is selling the ship, but it is a shame.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

But as I said unless P&O is S.O.O.N. do they really want just one ship in that fleet with it?

 

Like the Caribbean Princess was for so very long?  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 2020 New Zealand 13 day cruise with 9 ports.

 

Golden Princess... Balcony starting at $!,398

 

Ruby Princess... Balcony starting at  $2,440   "Medallion Ready."

 

$2,000 per couple upcharge for same cruise..Medallion not worth the extra money.

 

Two months ago the difference was over $3,000 per couple..ridiculous!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, Aussie Gal said:

We received an email this morning stating that it won't now be available for our cruise next February to New Zealand. They mentioned that it will now be late 2020.  Not that it affects us, I am quite happy to use the Elite package of free internet and I won't have to worry about where to hang or put the medallion!  We will be on the Grand in 2021 and we can enjoy using the Medallion then.

Jennie

Hi Jennie:

You are confusing MedallionNet (decent internet) with Ocean Medallion (the thing that takes the place of a room card). As I understand it, MedallionNet is necessary for OM, as a pre-cursor. OM was not promised for the Golden, but MedallionNet was in fact being sold for her next year. We got the e-mail described above with a refund on our credit card almost a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Jennie:

You are confusing MedallionNet (decent internet) with Ocean Medallion (the thing that takes the place of a room card). As I understand it, MedallionNet is necessary for OM, as a pre-cursor. OM was not promised for the Golden, but MedallionNet was in fact being sold for her next year. We got the e-mail described above with a refund on our credit card almost a month ago.

Thanks for explaining to me the difference of the two. I haven't taken much notice of the Internet package that was being offered so you have at least enlightened me on what we can expect in the future.  I think our first experience of either of these new additions will be when we are on the Grand in 2021.  For the moment anyhow, it is going to be exactly as we have been used to for the past umpteen years.

Jennie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 7:28 PM, Haboob said:

 

Like the Caribbean Princess was for so very long?  😉

Well, the Regal was the first, before CB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not according to Princess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 7:28 PM, Haboob said:

 

Like the Caribbean Princess was for so very long?  😉

 

Regal was long before Caribbean.

 

The global innovators were unable to complete Regal before it left for the summer in europe,

so they carried on innovating on Carribbean.

 

There are a billion posts here:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2550311-status-of-ocean-medallion/

 

Looking back, I'm puzzled what was replaced with ***** in a lot of medallion posts.

Medallion certainly deserves some bad words, but I don't remember any being posted...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

 

Regal was long before Caribbean.

 

The global innovators were unable to complete Regal before it left for the summer in europe,

so they carried on innovating on Carribbean.

 

There are a billion posts here:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2550311-status-of-ocean-medallion/

 

Looking back, I'm puzzled what was replaced with ***** in a lot of medallion posts.

Medallion certainly deserves some bad words, but I don't remember any being posted...

 

 

OM was what was nuked ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pablo222 said:

 

Regal was long before Caribbean.

 

The global innovators were unable to complete Regal before it left for the summer in europe,

so they carried on innovating on Carribbean.

 

 

 

Now and then I wonder what they did for the winner of the contest to get a free cruise on the first (scheduled) Medallion cruise on the Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...