Traveling with a walker: Tour Guide suggestions

shof515

my travel partner requires a walker, it folds up so it can be store in a car trunk or other small spaces. I messaged a couple of different tour guides and they always tell me their van/buses have no storage for a walker. Besides booking one of those accessible tours from the cruise lines, does anyone have any suggestions to tour the island with a guide?

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

my travel partner requires a walker, it folds up so it can be store in a car trunk or other small spaces. I messaged a couple of different tour guides and they always tell me their van/buses have no storage for a walker. Besides booking one of those accessible tours from the cruise lines, does anyone have any suggestions to tour the island with a guide?

I think they don't understand what you mean when you say "walker". Taxis certainly do have room for a folded up walker. They may think you're talking about a mobility scooter.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:26 AM, carribbeanmic said:

I even took my rolling walker on the public bus.  I would not bother to try to reserve any tours.  They have amble opportunities to get taxis and tours right off the ship without paying shore excursion prices.

I used a rollator walker in June both on the bus and ferry (broke the old hip).  The ferry operators were wonderful.  They had me (and my husband)  go over to the side of the dock with another person who was in a wheelchair.  They let us board before anyone else.  We did not ask for this - they came up to us.  No problem on the bus either, my husband just folded it up and towards the middle of the bus there was a wider area with a fold down seat that was perfect to put the walker.  The rolling walker is larger than the one with the two wheels only in the front so that one would be even easier to bring.  Enjoy your trip.