New $25 deposit promotion

DaveOKC

Just noticed on the HAL website.  I guess they finally figured out that too many people were booking on the old $1 deposit promotions and then just walking away from the $1 at final payment.  I thought that the $1 promotion was not smart, as it tied up cabins until late in the process (sometimes I think HAL needs to use better business/common sense!).

"Offers have limited space and may be modified or withdrawn or sailing/departure dates may be substituted without prior notice. Subject to availability. Other restrictions may apply. "

Seems like a bit of a gamble, specially the part about no prior notice....

7 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Seems like a bit of a gamble, specially the part about no prior notice....

I believe the changes are only BEFORE you book, not after they have accepted your deposit. IOW, they may withdraw a particular sailing from the program -- but it will not invalidate your planned for and paid for booking.

ETA: unless there was a gross error in the listing/computer. Then I don't know what they would do...

Edited by crystalspin

39 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Just looked at a January 2020 Caribbean cruise and while the deposit is $50, the balance is due on August 18th.  I'll wait for the next promo.

You know that is a website error. They wouldn't offer $50 deposits that lasted 5 days with remaining balance due 5 months out. What would be the point? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You know that is a website error. They wouldn't offer $50 deposits that lasted 5 days with remaining balance due 5 months out. What would be the point? 

Another HAL website glitch?  Who knows??

haljan2020cruise.PNG

Edited by I like vacation

Oh, my.  So, the $25 deposit might draw a good crowd, but having to pay in full by August 20th, what's the point?  We recently booked several 2020 cruises, where we paid reduced deposit and received some incentives as well.  However, final payment isn't due until next year, about 90 days out from each cruise.  I can live with that offer, but forking over $2700 in a matter of days, well, forget it.  If I withdrew from accounts other than checking, I could do it, but would I want to?  NO.

3 hours ago, I like vacation said:

Another HAL website glitch?  Who knows??

haljan2020cruise.PNG

When you did the mock booking did you make sure and choose the flexible fare?  I used this promotion to book Alaska for 2021 and final payment isn’t due until March 2021. I just had to make sure and choose flexible fare. The Caribbean cruises also have a promotion called Save on Sunshine and those deposits appear more restrictive. 

7 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

When you did the mock booking did you make sure and choose the flexible fare?  I used this promotion to book Alaska for 2021 and final payment isn’t due until March 2021. I just had to make sure and choose flexible fare. The Caribbean cruises also have a promotion called Save on Sunshine and those deposits appear more restrictive. 

This was a Save on Sunshine fare with the non refundable deposit ($50).  The flexible fare was $222 more and did not include the premium internet that the SOS promo offered.  BTW, I did wind up booking this cruise with the big box store because they only wanted the $50 deposit and final payment was in October,-approximately 90 days before departure. The OBC was nice too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Oh, my.  So, the $25 deposit might draw a good crowd, but having to pay in full by August 20th, what's the point?  We recently booked several 2020 cruises, where we paid reduced deposit and received some incentives as well.  However, final payment isn't due until next year, about 90 days out from each cruise.  I can live with that offer, but forking over $2700 in a matter of days, well, forget it.  If I withdrew from accounts other than checking, I could do it, but would I want to?  NO.

YIPPEE,     Thanks to this thread, I just booked a cruise for next August.  🙂

I may have dragged my feet and waited so would not  have gotten  the   cabin  I wanted

image.png.8946c076dfcb4a3f55266c4b5b6ca8d2.png

As it was  I (happily) booked my second choice, which is next door.    Whomever thinks HAL  is not selling Neptunes, you may be mistaken as this was a  booking I made for a year in advance and many Neptunes were already taken.

image.png

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

I may have dragged my feet and waited so would not  have gotten  the   cabin  I wanted

As it was  I (happily) booked my second choice, which is next door.    Whomever thinks HAL  is not selling Neptunes, you may be mistaken as this was a  booking I made for a year in advance and many Neptunes were already taken.

image.png

Edited just now by sail7seas

On 8/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, canadianbear said:

I also noticed it said non refundable.  I’ve booked on the $1 deposit and it was refundable-yes, I guess they’re learning slowly.  

Every time I see one of your posts   "bear",  , it reminds me how we met in Pinnacle and how nice you  and  you  DH  were to me.   I remember it well.

image.png.6388ad42fd7cee3faf7b927221dc8c29.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

image.png

I  paid my $25 deposit today  for   August  2020 cruise.   Final pay is due May, 2020

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

We just booked for 3-28-2021! Our final payment is 12-2020. We had an email that gave us $150pp OBC if we booked before 9-17-19. Also had a $600 credit from a prior cruise refund. Add the explore 4 and internet for a verandah. We are happy cruisers. 

Cheers, Denise 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:21 AM, canadianbear said:

I also noticed it said non refundable.  I’ve booked on the $1 deposit and it was refundable-yes, I guess they’re learning slowly.  

When you book through HAL or a TA, there are two promo codes for the $25 deposit: one is refundable, the other is not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

When you book through HAL or a TA, there are two promo codes for the $25 deposit: one is refundable, the other is not.

When I phoned for the cruise I was interested in they made it clear non refundable. It’s only $25pp but I’m out of town awhile and can’t confirm with hubby so am leaving it.  

A103EA4C-6F26-42F3-93F6-65ED276D60F3.jpeg

It pays to keep checking fares even in the middle of promos.

I checked the Save on Sunshine promo early on and it was ho hum. It would have been a wash to refare. Checked again over the weekend with the $25 deposit deal and we had a price drop of $319 pp on our winter 2020 7 day cruise, for 4 people in 2 cabins that is a big savings. We gave up our free grats but kept all our obc. Yes the $25 deposit is not refundable but the new fare with obc is a far better deal than we got last year for a very similar cruise and I thought last years fare was fantastic. We are happy!!