Cruise Critic Community
NOLALADY

Post Cruise from Manhattan Pier to LGA

We are scheduled to dock at 8:00 on Sunday, October 13th.  Our flight out of LGA is at 3:40.   Would we have time to do anything, or should we proceed to LGA?

Thank you

You would have plenty of time to grab a leisurely breakfast somewhere nice. Norma's at The Parker is a favorite midtown spot of ours although there are plenty of other options. I would normally shoot to get to LGA around 1 for a 3:40 flight with the construction etc going on there. You'd need to leave midtown around 12:15ish. 

24 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Norma's at The Parker is a favorite midtown spot of ours

In the interest of full disclosure of facts to people from out of town visiting NY, I suspect not many want to pay $30 for an order of pancakes, $32 for bacon and eggs or $26 for oatmeal.

And for that matter it's probably a good idea to mention that (as I understand it) advance reservations for Norma's are a must .

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

In the interest of full disclosure of facts to people from out of town visiting NY, I suspect not many want to pay $30 for an order of pancakes, $32 for bacon and eggs or $26 for oatmeal.

A very pedestrian breakfast in midtown at a nice place isn't that much less expensive honestly and this is much better than your run of the mill hotel breakfast (which is why I recommend it). We used to go there when we lived in Manhattan and still go when we come back. 

But there are plenty of other places like diners as options-- was merely suggesting what would be a memorable place if you only had a little bit of time in town. 

So not enough time to do anything other than grab a bite?

Short answer, not really - I've checked the MCT schedule for 10/6 and the Norwegian Escape will be docking that morning, doing their turnaround.  It's going to be busy at the port and everyone looking for their ground transfer, taxi, car service or Uber/Lyft to ... wherever.  

Plus, you will have luggage storage consideration - unless you pack & travel lightly & plan to explore places nearby ??  What do you have in mind ?

Besides, with the ongoing airport major redevelopment & long-term construction work and interior service road networks being rebuilt & changed, I would allow mucho, plenty, plenty of extra time to make it from the airport exit TO your airline's terminal.  The gridlock conditions at the airport, not getting there itself, had flared up again last week & in the news again (Google it) as airport authority pledged to come up with remedies ... 

Check to see whether CCL offer a drive-by/thru NYC tours for disembarkation with dropoff at the airports - LGA terminals now offer free WiFi and both airside & landside have good choice of food/concession stands & shops.  

17 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Short answer, not really - I've checked the MCT schedule for 10/6 and the Norwegian Escape will be docking that morning, doing their turnaround.  It's going to be busy at the port and everyone looking for their ground transfer, taxi, car service or Uber/Lyft to ... wherever.  

Plus, you will have luggage storage consideration - unless you pack & travel lightly & plan to explore places nearby ??  What do you have in mind ?

Besides, with the ongoing airport major redevelopment & long-term construction work and interior service road networks being rebuilt & changed, I would allow mucho, plenty, plenty of extra time to make it from the airport exit TO your airline's terminal.  The gridlock conditions at the airport, not getting there itself, had flared up again last week & in the news again (Google it) as airport authority pledged to come up with remedies ... 

Check to see whether CCL offer a drive-by/thru NYC tours for disembarkation with dropoff at the airports - LGA terminals now offer free WiFi and both airside & landside have good choice of food/concession stands & shops.  

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well.  We are coming in prior to cruise, was just trying to decide if we could do something other than hanging out at LGA after departing.

Surprisingly, CCL is not offering any tours post cruise.

Thank you for your help.  

I know most folks take lots of luggage on a cruise (we do), but if you are one of those who just do Carryons, then you can do some activities in NYC where you can take those with you.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

They will be off the ship between 8-9am at the latest. Its not going to take them 5 hours to get to LGA-- there is plenty of time to grab a bite to eat or something like that before headed to the airport. LGA is a miserable airport to lounge about in if you get there too early-- the majority of the dining options resemble a shopping mall's food court. 

I had suggested a hotel restaurant above for breakfast for the reason that you would have luggage and they (or any other hotel you are dining in) will be happy to check your luggage for free while you eat or even have a stroll around the block. 

What a coincidence! Just this morning I posted a similar question on the Oceania board. 

The replies were not encouraging. I guess we’ll just go over to the airport in Newark and hang around all day. 

lots of places you can leave your bags and explore, if that's what you want to do.  Most hotels will hold them for a tip/fee.

15 hours ago, Frncie said:

The replies were not encouraging. I guess we’ll just go over to the airport in Newark and hang around all day. 

You can hear whatever you want to hear in this situation-- but the fact is you have plenty of time for a meal or a little walk around before going to the airport. If you want to go sit in the airport and thats where your comfort level is-- by all means. Personally I wouldn't go sit in the airport that long when I didn't have to, but at the same time, thats totally up to you. 

I just didn't want you to think that spending some time in the city couldn't be reasonably done, because it easily can.