Cruise Critic Community
Cruise-y

Crystal Dining Room Vs Oceania Question

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, latsyrc said:

The food on Crystal outshines every O venue with the possible exception of Jaques and that I'd call a tie.

Tie with what? Crystal has nothing even close to Jacques in the type of food served there.

FWIW, I am of the exactly opposite view - the food on Oceania outshines every Crystal venue, including Nobu.

Just goes to show you - different strokes....😁

Edited by Paulchili

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks Keith 

I did see the menu before  & in another thread people mentioned the items to self serve 

to me it is a buffet  but whatever

So  you get somethings buffet style & other things are brought to the table 

OK GOT IT NOW

I agree it is more of a buffet.  😀  In fact, I mentioned that most of the items are served buffet.  Someone else posted earlier that Crystal doesn't have a buffet for dinner. This is pretty close to one while also having wait staff service for the entree items.  

On a related note I know some people who just want something quick and light and come up and only select the buffet items.

Keith

Menus for the next day are also available via the connections site while on board as are reflections for the next day - if I remember they are available around 7:00 pm or so.

Hard to believe but the grill (hot dogs, pizza, salad wraps etc) are often quite crowded close to the 6:00 pm closing. 

3 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Menus for the next day are also available via the connections site while on board as are reflections for the next day - if I remember they are available around 7:00 pm or so.

Hard to believe but the grill (hot dogs, pizza, salad wraps etc) are often quite crowded close to the 6:00 pm closing. 

What is  the Connections site  Please?

Maybe people eat there instead of dinner or eat a late dinner & need a snack ??

LHT28, Crystal Connect is  an internet portal and digital app that in addition you use to access the internet you can use to view the daily program on line (Reflections), menus, newspapers, shore excursions, your bill, and some additional items.

You can access it from your computer on the ship if you bring one, a smart phone and a tablet.

Menus are normally posted the night before.  Reflections normally very early that morning but sometimes the night before as well.

Keith

21 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

LHT28, Crystal Connect is  an internet portal and digital app that in addition you use to access the internet you can use to view the daily program on line (Reflections), menus, newspapers, shore excursions, your bill, and some additional items.

You can access it from your computer on the ship if you bring one, a smart phone and a tablet.

Menus are normally posted the night before.  Reflections normally very early that morning but sometimes the night before as well.

Keith

Thank you

Do they also post this  info on the TV ??

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Tie with what? Crystal has nothing even close to Jacques in the type of food served there.

FWIW, I am of the exactly opposite view - the food on Oceania outshines every Crystal venue, including Nobu.

Just goes to show you - different strokes....😁

Paul -- here I disagree with you.

We were just on Marina where the food was the best I have yet on Oceania after 16 cruises.  Nevertheless, I find the food on Crystal to be way better than on Oceania.    I do agree however that Crystal offers nothing to compare with Jacques.

My take on the Churrasqueria

The food and service are great

That said, it is not the kind of venue that we would choose to eat in multiple times on a cruise because it is too heavy.

We like to eat light, and although you can graze on the buffet items, those choices are limited.

We do long cruises on Crystal so we might go twice in 25-37 days but no more than that.

I know others eat there frequently.

You have to see if it's right for you.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Thank you

Do they also post this  info on the TV ??

Someone will know for sure but the TV will provide you with Lectures live and on demand, the TV shows that are live, on demand movies, the ability to stream podcasts from your tablet and smart phone to the TV, selected videos about Crystal and a few other items. 

I do not believe that the menus nor reflections are on the TV's.  The shipboard account won't show on the TV even though they mention accounts.  Again if I am wrong someone will correct me.  😀

Back to the Crystal Connect it also shows photos of the Senior Officers who are on board (Captain, Vice Captain, Cruise Director, Chief Engineer and Medical Doctor).

Keith

Beside Jacques there are some other good items on O  as well : the breads and the breakfast rolls, pastries and even brioches on a daily base.

On the lunch buffets the cheeses are decent , the cakes are very good .

MDR is a lot better on Crystal for sure.  I noticed  longer waiting times on O as well.

Prego is  superior to the Italian restaurant on O , what is far too large and in general far too much sauces are added .

I do not eat Asian , so I cannot compare .

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Paul -- here I disagree with you.

We were just on Marina where the food was the best I have yet on Oceania after 16 cruises.  Nevertheless, I find the food on Crystal to be way better than on Oceania.    I do agree however that Crystal offers nothing to compare with Jacques.

I love Jacques and it is the only thing that is 5 star on Oceania.

The MDR for me is okay but nothing like Waterside on Crystal. Even with open seating, you can pretty much request the same table/waiter daily.  On Oceania, I was told that there are few cooked to order items. On Crystal - everything can be cooked to order. And with 24 hours notice, you can have anything available off menu.  Five star European service.  Comparing Toscana to Prego is like comparing The Olive Garden to Valentino.  Prego's menu was designed by one of the top award winning chef's in Los Angeles.

Comparing The Vintage Room and La Reserve is not possible because the Wine and Food quality on Crystal surpasses anything on Oceania.

Chatkat, you make me very melancholic  - Valentino unfortunately is closed for ever...

From 1994 tot 2000  I always ( missed one year ) did the reposition cruise Los Angeles Miami on Vistafjord and later on Seabourn Sun.

The cruise was always on offer - I admit it but it gave me also the opportunity to eat at Valentino. The first time I was looking into the wine book to white Burgundies and the owner said why not trying something very special from my country , what i could not refuse. I had marvellous evenings:classic_biggrin: at Valentino. great memories !!

Yes it is of the thread but recipes of Valentino were served in Prego for years.

Anytime there is a discussion about which restaurant on the same ship/line or which food comparing two different lines is better I am reminded of something I truly believe.  In short, the only opinion that matters is your own.  Food like most things is subjective.  What I love you might hate.  Now if the questions and opinions are fact based that is a different story.  An example is how many restaurants are on a ship or what are the dining hours.

Even if someone has sailed both lines and says one line has better food it really means nothing because in the end if they like or do not like the food will not change the way you think about the food.

We all have different tastes.  And even as we age we sometimes change our own opinions of what we like.

Keith

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Anytime there is a discussion about which restaurant on the same ship/line or which food comparing two different lines is better I am reminded of something I truly believe.  In short, the only opinion that matters is your own.  Food like most things is subjective.  What I love you might hate.  Now if the questions and opinions are fact based that is a different story.  An example is how many restaurants are on a ship or what are the dining hours.

Even if someone has sailed both lines and says one line has better food it really means nothing because in the end if they like or do not like the food will not change the way you think about the food.

We all have different tastes.  And even as we age we sometimes change our own opinions of what we like. Others might miss caviar on Oceania - I have no desire for it.

Keith

Very well put - agree completely.

I love foie gras (and missed it sorely on Crystal) - others cannot even look at it much less eat it. Not having it on Crystal at all and having lobster only twice on a 24 day cruise on Crystal is almost a deal breaker for me considering that I can have it daily on Oceania  (if I wish) and that lobster is available in ALL venues on Oceania.

At the same time this is of no interest to others.

Edited by Paulchili

"The biggest caveat, however, is that on ports days there are essentially no or very limited enrichments offered – certainly nothing like on sea days ( no computer classes, essentially no lectures, etc, etc). So to enjoy the big advantage of great enrichment of Crystal to the fullest, one needs to schedule a cruise with many sea days. At least, that was the case on our cruise;"

Paul this is what you wrote on the thread you asked us to look at. Considering that there are almost no enrichment activities on O (the exception being the cooking classes on the O ships which you have to pay $70 pp), I am not understanding the point of this. Of course on port days there isn't enrichment since the majority of the lecturers and instructors, like the rest of us are enjoying the ports.

And as Keith mentioned, food is very subjective. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AtA said:

"The biggest caveat, however, is that on ports days there are essentially no or very limited enrichments offered – certainly nothing like on sea days ( no computer classes, essentially no lectures, etc, etc). So to enjoy the big advantage of great enrichment of Crystal to the fullest, one needs to schedule a cruise with many sea days. At least, that was the case on our cruise;"

Paul this is what you wrote on the thread you asked us to look at. Considering that there are almost no enrichment activities on O (the exception being the cooking classes on the O ships which you have to pay $70 pp), I am not understanding the point of this. Of course on port days there isn't enrichment since the majority of the lecturers and instructors, like the rest of us are enjoying the ports.

And as Keith mentioned, food is very subjective. 

My point was that IMO the biggest asset of Crystal for me were the enrichment programs (not the cabin, not the service, not the food, etc - at least that was the case for me).

Hence, if I am going to take Crystal again, I want it to be on a cruise with many sea days so that I can enjoy the “best thing” Crystal has to offer. On a port intensive cruise I cannot enjoy those perks so there is less incentive for me to book a Crystal for such a cruise. If, as you say, “the majority of the lecturers and instructors, like the rest of us are enjoying the ports” then I too will not be around to enjoy those wonderful lectures😊 and then I might as well cruise on Oceania where I enjoy everything else more than on Crystal. 

In fact, we have booked another Crystal for 2021 from LA to Brisbane with plenty of sea days and I am willing to give Crystal another chance to wow me.with service, food and things other than their wonderful enrichment programs😊

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Yes - that is exactly what I am saying.

Of course, that is just MY opinion but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

We each choose to cruise on lines that suit our likes and preferences best.

If you are interested in finding out why I feel the way I do, here is my experience on Crystal (post #28):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2508997-oceania-vs-crystal/page/2/

Just finished reading your very detailed and informative post regarding your Crystal cruise.  One thing you mentioned is a reason we have not sailed Crystal previously ....... suite size.  We will be in a PH suite but it is still smaller than we are used to.  

While I agree with you about food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania (especially Jacques which I feel is the best dining venue at sea), I could not disagree more about the Terrace Cafe and their MDR.  We loved the suites on the Riviera (would not sail their smaller ships) and found the Owner's and Vista suites better than what Regent's Explorer has (we stayed in a Vista suite but toured the Owner's suite).  

You commented on the passengers.  Without sounding too harsh, I can read the differences in passengers (comparing Crystal to Oceania and Regent) just from reading the Crystal board on CC.  This is a big sticking point for me.  While I am typically friendly to everyone, I can do a great impression of a "super snob" if/when it is necessary!

In any case, I will go on the cruise with an open mind and try to not do much comparing until later in the cruise (it is only a 7 night cruise).  I feel that it will be the food that will be the determining issue as to whether we would recommend Crystal or not.  Food is so subjective and what you did not like we may like and visa versa.  

I'll be posting live on the Regent board (Crystal or Regent?) and, as always, will be 100% honest.  You may want to check it out (or not).  

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Yes - that is exactly what I am saying.

Of course, that is just MY opinion but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

We each choose to cruise on lines that suit our likes and preferences best.

If you are interested in finding out why I feel the way I do, here is my experience on Crystal (post #28):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2508997-oceania-vs-crystal/page/2/

I just finished reading your review as well...its like we sailed on 2 entirely different Serenity ships.  We have sailed on O once with a 2nd sailing scheduled this winter.  We enjoy O and LOVE the terrace and feel outdoor dining is the only thing crystal is lacking.

i hope you enjoy your 2nd go round more.  Given the choice Crystal will always be our 1st choice.

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Very well put - agree completely.

I love foie gras (and missed it sorely on Crystal) - others cannot even look at it much less eat it. Not having it on Crystal at all and having lobster only twice on a 24 day cruise on Crystal is almost a deal breaker for me considering that I can have it daily on Oceania  (if I wish) and that lobster is available in ALL venues on Oceania.

At the same time this is of no interest to others.

Actually you could have lobster as much as you want, you just have to ask.

10 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Actually you could have lobster as much as you want, you just have to ask.

Which dining venue(s) and how far in advance do I have to ask?

Posted (edited)

Waterside (main dining room), the day before.

You can also special order almost any dish you want as long as they have the makings on board. 

From time to time they rotate items off the Prego menu, for example Osso Buco, but you can special order it. 

They are superb with special orders. 

Edited by suzeluvscruz

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Which dining venue(s) and how far in advance do I have to ask?

There are also several lobster dishes on the Umi Uma menu, both as starters and as main courses, everyday.

For us the only dining venue on Crystal we don't enjoy and which I won't be trying again is the Churrascaria. We actually enjoyed this venue more when it was first introduced and they had a menu where you could order hot side dishes that were bought to the table and where the buffet choices of hot and cold appetisers were varied and appealing. The last couple of times I've dined there on both ships it's been a confused concept. Hot and cold buffet items that are part appetiser part side dish and yet there was a creamed spinach that was offered that we could order for the table but the baked potatoes were part of the buffet and the salad and vegetable offerings were a little sad in both appearance and flavour. The skewered meat items however tasted very good but it wasn't enough to make up for the other aspects.

To me it also lacked atmosphere and felt like we were sitting in Marketplace and there was not enough done to make the area a little more special and intimate for dinner. I also wish they would allow the outdoor aft area of Marketplace to be used more in the evenings. We have never seen this open and when we were in Shanghai on a beautiful mild evening I asked why the outdoor area wasn't being used and I was informed by the head waiter that it was never open in the evenings?

Posted (edited)

Once was enough for us at Churrascaria.  We enjoyed “casual dining “ and wish they had expanded that. 

Yes, Ryndam, I forgot about the lobster dishes at Umi Uma, they are faves!

We aren’t crazy about Silk for lunch but found that dinner there was like going to an entirely different restaurant, enjoyed it. 

Edited by suzeluvscruz

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ryndam said:

There are also several lobster dishes on the Umi Uma menu, both as starters and as main courses, everyday.

That must be something new. Yes, there were tiny pieces of lobster in appetizers but no lobster as a main course.

Can you please post a link for that menu.

Also, there would a charge for this after the 1st visit (unlike on Oceania where there is never a charge in any restaurant).

Edited by Paulchili