Cruise Critic Community
Scotto97

Earliest flight out from San Pedro?

My wife and I will be returning from a 4 day coastal on Sunday, September 29th arriving at San Pedro, CA.

The flights back home are scheduled in a very frustrating manner, with one flight leaving from the very close-by and quick Long Beach airport at 9:04 AM.

And a well-priced Southwest flight from LAX leaving at 9:25 AM. and an inexpensive 10:10 AM flight also from LAX.

The flights get expensive any later than the 10:10 flight.

We are both Elite, and can carry our own bags off the ship, so would anyone try and make one of the flights above?

(I'm also TSA-Pre, but my wife isn't)

9 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

My wife and I will be returning from a 4 day coastal on Sunday, September 29th arriving at San Pedro, CA.

The flights back home are scheduled in a very frustrating manner, with one flight leaving from the very close-by and quick Long Beach airport at 9:04 AM.

And a well-priced Southwest flight from LAX leaving at 9:25 AM. and an inexpensive 10:10 AM flight also from LAX.

We are both Elite, and can carry our own bags off the ship, so would anyone try and make one of the flights above?

We used to do 10:30 LAX flights all the time.

I don't think I would take that chance anymore. Too much construction.

Long Beach is awesome but I doubt you could make the 9:04.

It is always quiet when I fly in or out of LGB.

Security is usually quick and it is much easier to get to than LAX from San Pedro.

All of those flight times are very chancy. You really don’t know for sure when the first people will be allowed off the ship

It all depends on when you can leave the ship.  If you are in the first walk off group, you can be at LGB within 30 minutes on a Sunday morning.  Once we had a 9:15 or 9:30 flight from LGB, which seemed crazy early, but everything went perfectly and we were waiting at the gate by 8:00.  It all depends on when you can leave the ship.  

Do you fly Southwest often enough to book a later flight with points (as back up), pay for the early Long Beach flight, then just cancel the second one of you make the 9am? you just have to cancel the early one if you are going to miss it, or you lose your money.

I would roll the bones and go for the Long Beach flight, but I would have a back-up plan, (Either another flight or a hotel and cheap flight the next day.)

For whatever it’s worth, when we returned from our 4 night Pacific Coastal, we booked a 12:30pm flight out of SNA Orange County (much farther away). We took Super Shuttle and we first stopped at one hotel near Disneyland to drop other guests off. Even with that,  we were through security and sitting at our gate by 9:30am. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I would roll the bones and go for the Long Beach flight, but I would have a back-up plan, (Either another flight or a hotel and cheap flight the next day.)

I am with you  best to book a hotel & then fly out early the following day  .Otherwise it is  like rolling dice  Also it is far less costly to get to the long Beach airport than LAX   .I personally hate flying these days & we no longer fly 

Edited by mcrcruiser

19 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

Simple question:  Will there be fog (or anything else) that morning to delay your ship's arrival at dock?

Posted (edited)

Another concern would be rush-hour traffic since your return date is during the work week.  So flying out of Long Beach would seem to be preferable than trying to get all the way to LAX.

Edited by BarbinMich

On 8/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, donswife said:

Do you fly Southwest often enough to book a later flight with points (as back up), pay for the early Long Beach flight, then just cancel the second one of you make the 9am? you just have to cancel the early one if you are going to miss it, or you lose your money.

That's a great idea - I did just as you suggested.

After some research, I was able to verify if we do not use the Southwest flight, my points will simply go back into my Rapid Rewards account with no penalty.  

Sunday traffic isn’t ridiculously bad on the 405 like it is during the week. I’m conservative person by nature and I would be comfortable doing the 1010 out of LAX if it were me.  Unless the ship is delayed for some reason getting back to port, you’ll be fine.