Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
teresaandvince

Travel Insurance

What is the difference between Booksafe (offered at time of booking) and Essentials (now showing available on vacation summary). We cruise in September and figured we would just take our chance but now since they have upgraded the number of expected hurricanes we are second guessing that decision. During booking I think it was showing like $124.00. Essentials is showing $50.00.

11 minutes ago, teresaandvince said:

What is the difference between Booksafe (offered at time of booking) and Essentials (now showing available on vacation summary). We cruise in September and figured we would just take our chance but now since they have upgraded the number of expected hurricanes we are second guessing that decision. During booking I think it was showing like $124.00. Essentials is showing $50.00.

The amount of coverage you get. Are you expecting a little problem or big problem?

And the NCL booksafe offers a kind-of “cancel for any reason” coverage giving you a future cruise credit if you cancel for a non-covered reason

Insurance - Better to have it and NOT need it - Than to NOT have it and need it !

Something else to consider if having too much insurance then the insurance companies may limit the payout

with a coordination of benefits clause - - - I don't know so much about this -

so can't offer insight to the type of insurances and coverage offered above - - -

Simply make sure you are covered

That noted how much are you willing to take a small medium and total loss of your cruise investment ?

How much coverage does NCL provide compared to any homeowners personal insurance you have ?

Do you need coverage to come back another time to take the cruise or simply walk away with nothing lost

except memories to be experienced ?

You are cruising in September - presume that you are doing a Caribbean or Gulf cruise at the start of

of the storms.

Your cruise no doubt will go on but the itinerary may change significantly to stay out of harms way.

Storms hitting the embarkation port may offer other problems such as airline flight disruptions to schedule.

LINK to links Hurricane forecasts for 2019:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=hurricane+season+2019&fr=ymyy-t-999&fr2=p%3Amy%2Cm%3Asb&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl

In general your cruise maybe impacted by storms beginning to develop in a couple of weeks off the coast

of Africa - follow the weather forecasts - - -

8 hours ago, teresaandvince said:

You might want to browse through the travel insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

There are MANY issues that one might not initially think of (and hopefully one does, before there is a problem...).

In general (not always, but usually), third party insurance is better than and/or less expensive than cruise-line insurance.

GC

I use insuremytrip.com to shop for a comprehensive plan that covers what I need in an insurance policy.  All the major providers are represented, and you can compare quotes and coverages. Some people only want medical, some want trip protection.  I want all of the above when I travel.  And most policies won't cover pre-existing conditions unless you buy the policy within X days of the initial trip payment.