Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jocap

Pub Grub

Do you go for the food as much as the drink at your local?

We have three pubs we use. and all cater for tourists- usually walkers and climbers- so the food is hearty stuff, with a few imaginative meals as well. Luckily, they all serve "light bites" during the day time, because the portions are huge.

OH's favourite pub has its own brewery, and he goes for some of their dark ales, but I just have a glass of red wine.

Do you drink and eat, or just the chat?

Definitely, our locals do really nice menus with everything from a small snack to a 3 course meal. The food is what keeps most of them busy

The very strict drink driving laws have killed most rural pubs as drinking places. It has meant that they have much more interesting non alcoholic choices now though which is good.

We only go for food. Our local is a Toby Carvery and we tend to go when I really don't want to cook

When I return to UK, I enjoy walking up to the village local for a meal & a few pints. Very limited hand pulled, real ales where we live.

When in the Lake District, we had a great lunch at the brewery in Staveley - Hawkshead Brewery. Great lounge with comfortable seats. Enjoyed lunch & a 1/2 pint, as DW won't drive in UK.

In the Vancouver area, we have about 100 breweries, but most are small and only a few have catering. So it is mostly heading out for a pint & a blether.

I think the local with homemade grub is few and far between now.Chains have swallowed up even the little country local.Even different chains have more or less the same menus to make it more frustrating.

14 hours ago, brian1 said:

I think the local with homemade grub is few and far between now.Chains have swallowed up even the little country local.Even different chains have more or less the same menus to make it more frustrating.

That's sad- I honestly haven't seen it around my area, except where Wetherspoons have bought an old building in Whitehaven. I think every pub around us is privately owned or rented. Getting staff can be a problem, though, because some pubs are very remote.

17 minutes ago, jocap said:

That's sad- I honestly haven't seen it around my area, except where Wetherspoons have bought an old building in Whitehaven. I think every pub around us is privately owned or rented. Getting staff can be a problem, though, because some pubs are very remote.

Same in my area, most are family owned and run, they tend to use local produce for their specials along with the more usual pub food. They also have guest ales which change regularly. 

Brian1 is correct about the chains which you tend to see in the bigger towns up here, they all have exactly the same on the menu - burger, fish and chips, mac cheese etc.

7 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Same in my area, most are family owned and run, they tend to use local produce for their specials along with the more usual pub food. They also have guest ales which change regularly. 

Brian1 is correct about the chains which you tend to see in the bigger towns up here, they all have exactly the same on the menu - burger, fish and chips, mac cheese etc.

The menus are more elaborate than that with pasta dishes,salmon,sea bass,steaks and veggy options.A fair choice,but repeated across the chains.This is obviously more prevalent down South.

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

The menus are more elaborate than that with pasta dishes,salmon,sea bass,steaks and veggy options.A fair choice,but repeated across the chains.This is obviously more prevalent down South.

Sounds not too bad then, seabass is a personal favourite. 

We have been in some lovely pubs in England and Wales. A couple of weeks ago we stopped off on a journey and had a platter of local foods which was really excellent and washed down with ale from the area. The place was heaving with local residents, we were just lucky to find it.

Also love the crack in Irish pubs along with A pint of the balcony stuff.

Our local, a 15 minute stroll away , is a chain pub, so has the brewery standard menu. That said, it's decent food, both 'proper' meals and light bites.

We tend to go Saturday early afternoon, have a few drinks then some food, then meander home.

I like nothing better than to get a brew and a feed when touring around, especially throughout the UK and Ireland.