Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Brendaflamingo

What do you tip your YC butler at the end?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, rattanchair said:

To get back to intimidation factor. Each cruise line has a loyalty program with perks for frequent passengers. A few of these high level status passengers are 'pixilated' with their status while on board and often complain to staff management of their displeasure at some 'perceived' slight on the part of some lowly staff not catering fast enough to their drink order, etc. These 'status ' cruisers use intimidation rather than cash to get what they want while on board.

 

Non pinnacle as I don't cruise RCI as much but the reality is a different one. The staff is smart and of course they know that the guests who have a long and frequent cruise history will probably talk to their supervisors and senior officers more than a regular guest. I do and I don't hesitate to mention crew members by name and example who did something good but as well those who did what I consider sub standard for the company. And actually at a cruise line where you have had a couple of hundred nights with I don't think they should treat a guest just because they booked a suite better than me. That is in the common shared areas for parts that are not clearly sold as suite benefits. 

 

The same is true for every other aspect that makes the staff notice you. On my first MSC cruise I talked to one of the managers early on and he stopped chatting with me every day when he saw me sitting at bar as he was curious about my thoughts about their performance compared to the other big cruise lines. The bartenders and waitresses of course noticed and I had flawless and attentive service the whole trip. In none of the cases is intimidation involved. 

 

But the last quoted sentence is correct. I never use cash to get what I want I use my mouth and most of the time I don't even have to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

The bartenders and waitresses of course noticed and I had flawless and attentive service the whole trip. In none of the cases is intimidation involved. 

Dear OT,  You are obviously a man of distinction and I surmise that just once around the world is simply not enough.

    Your post only proves my point. Intimidation is intentional behavior that would cause a person of ordinary sensibilities ( the bartenders and waitresses) to fear injury or harm (loss of job or reprimand). Your tete-a-tetes with their superior in their view was notifying them that 'you' had the 'ear' of their 'boss'. As a result you admit you received "flawless and attentive service" . Best part, you did not have to dig into your pocket !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

 

    So when we returned home and gave the situation some thought we agreed to cancel the Symphony RS we had booked and took a loss of $500 on a non-refundable deposit and we booked MSC Seaside Yacht Club instead.  Glad we did and we are not 'looking back'.  RC

 

Did you mention this on the Royal board?  If you didn't I don't blame you, no one likes to be flamed.

However, whenever I see someone bringing this up, the Pinnacles state that the problem is overblown …. or doesn't exist at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mafig said:

 

Did you mention this on the Royal board?  If you didn't I don't blame you, no one likes to be flamed.

However, whenever I see someone bringing this up, the Pinnacles state that the problem is overblown …. or doesn't exist at all.

Hi there Mafig.  We will be sailing on Seaside from June 13-27 2020 in almost the same cabin as last year.  What plans do you two have for that time? 

 

We met a great couple with a son our age on Radiance last month.  They live in Jacksonville and we wanted to do another cruise together.  Well they wanted to get to D on Royal and the subject of cruising with Royal to gain status came up.  I mentioned that we started with Royal and enjoy what Royal offers.  Status came as a byproduct of enjoying our cruises and we did not chase levels.  After looking at the insane pricing for summer 2020 on Oasis class, they decided to try Seaside in YC.

 

Sailing Oasis class I have seen my fair share of P's that get catered to at the detriment of suite guests.  Another P that sails in suites and I have that discussion often of our observations.  It is not like that on every sailing as there are some very nice P's that are low key and friendly.  Then you have the other bunch tries to make CK and the SL their private club.  

 

Well hope to cruise with you two again.  Will be on Serenade from Jan 10-31 of you would like to join us.  The Jan 20-31 cruise has a great itinerary with an overnight in Aruba and stop in Colon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Hi there Mafig.  We will be sailing on Seaside from June 13-27 2020 in almost the same cabin as last year.  What plans do you two have for that time? 

 

We met a great couple with a son our age on Radiance last month.  They live in Jacksonville and we wanted to do another cruise together.  Well they wanted to get to D on Royal and the subject of cruising with Royal to gain status came up.  I mentioned that we started with Royal and enjoy what Royal offers.  Status came as a byproduct of enjoying our cruises and we did not chase levels.  After looking at the insane pricing for summer 2020 on Oasis class, they decided to try Seaside in YC.

 

Sailing Oasis class I have seen my fair share of P's that get catered to at the detriment of suite guests.  Another P that sails in suites and I have that discussion often of our observations.  It is not like that on every sailing as there are some very nice P's that are low key and friendly.  Then you have the other bunch tries to make CK and the SL their private club.  

 

Well hope to cruise with you two again.  Will be on Serenade from Jan 10-31 of you would like to join us.  The Jan 20-31 cruise has a great itinerary with an overnight in Aruba and stop in Colon.

I hope to cruise with you again, also.

We were looking at Serenade for the other itinerary, but to be honest, the ship reviews do turn me off.

I love Aruba (Curacao too).  We did a Celebrity itinerary a few years ago that had an overnight in Aruba.  We loved it.

 

Thanks for your honesty about the Ps.  

 

Waiting for the private island reviews for MSC and also Meraviglia.  If Meraviglia comes up short (too crowded, even in the YC), you might just see us on Seaside next June.

 

Trying to decide on either Haven (NCL) or Oasis for November or January.  NCL's prices stay pretty steady day to day, not so Royal …. I think I've made up my mind and the price either goes up or the category disappears.  (I was even looking at CLS, in the back, overlooking the sports deck....I know you really like them._

 

Mary Ann

Edited by mafig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, mafig said:

I hope to cruise with you again, also.

We were looking at Serenade for the other itinerary, but to be honest, the ship reviews do turn me off.

I love Aruba (Curacao too).  We did a Celebrity itinerary a few years ago that had an overnight in Aruba.  We loved it.

 

Thanks for your honesty about the Ps.  

 

Waiting for the private island reviews for MSC and also Meraviglia.  If Meraviglia comes up short (too crowded, even in the YC), you might just see us on Seaside next June.

 

Trying to decide on either Haven (NCL) or Oasis for November or January.  NCL's prices stay pretty steady day to day, not so Royal …. I think I've made up my mind and the price either goes up or the category disappears.  (I was even looking at CLS, in the back, overlooking the sports deck....I know you really like them._

 

Mary Ann

Have sailed on Serenade the past couple of years in Jan/Feb for 30+ days. Will be on her again for the third time this coming Jan.  It is an older ship, but the crew and passengers keep us coming back.  Would not bring our son onboard for 3 weeks as he would be bored (confirmed that as he was bored on sister ship Radiance after 2 days).  The ship is older, but maintaned rather well.  She has elegance and reminds me of what cruise ships of old were about.  More about all the awesome views of the sea from almost everywhere and not about all the bells a whistles like the larger ships.  

 

Met so many nice cruisers every cruise on Serenade, it has a feeling of family as we return year after year.  Will be cruising with some couples that we have met and cruised with 2 years ago on Serenade.  Met quiet a few people that stay on her for 4+ months at a time during the winter. 

 

What about the reviews has been a turn off about Serenade?

 

You are correct that we love to people watch and love those aft facing CLS (others will disagree).  I like the deeper balconies (but we dont spend that much time out there).  I would just stay home and watch the ocean from my lanai if I wanted to see water.

 

Here is a pic I took right now.

1566421831870-942865690.jpg

Edited by frank808

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mafig said:

 

Did you mention this on the Royal board?  If you didn't I don't blame you, no one likes to be flamed.

However, whenever I see someone bringing this up, the Pinnacles state that the problem is overblown …. or doesn't exist at all.

Dear Ma, Sure I brought it up on the Royal board and got 'flamed". I get 'flamed ' all the time for my 'observations', even on this board. Thankfully there are kindred spirits like yourself that make it all worthwhile. I want to thank you, as well ,for turning me on to MSC. Your posts were always very helpful and encouraging. Thank you ,RC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We saw someone give him a very decent tip in the unspoken message "look after me".  Well, my glass was constantly topped up, despite never seeing him do it and the bar being incredibly busy, and he was working at the other end to where we sat.  Funny thing was that Mr Tipper had to keep clicking his fingers and hailing him to get service - which our bartender took his time to respond to!  😂

 

And, this is the very reason I do not offer a gratuity of any size other than what is on the drink bill any more.  Once upon a time, doing so seemed to make a difference in the quality  and timeliness of service.  Not recently.  If the Bartender(s) recognize you--or your cruise card shows a high tier of cruise line loyalty--that seems to be the difference.  Do I reward such attention at the end of my cruise?  You had better believe it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We saw someone give him a very decent tip in the unspoken message "look after me".  Well, my glass was constantly topped up, despite never seeing him do it and the bar being incredibly busy, and he was working at the other end to where we sat.  Funny thing was that Mr Tipper had to keep clicking his fingers and hailing him to get service - which our bartender took his time to respond to!  😂

 

And, this is the very reason I do not offer a gratuity of any size other than what is on the drink bill any more.  Once upon a time, doing so seemed to make a difference in the quality  and timeliness of service.  Not recently.  If the Bartender(s) recognize you--or your cruise card shows a high tier of cruise line loyalty--that seems to be the difference.  Do I reward such attention at the end of my cruise?  You had better believe it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We saw someone give him a very decent tip in the unspoken message "look after me".  Well, my glass was constantly topped up, despite never seeing him do it and the bar being incredibly busy, and he was working at the other end to where we sat.  Funny thing was that Mr Tipper had to keep clicking his fingers and hailing him to get service - which our bartender took his time to respond to!  😂

 

And, this is the very reason I do not offer a gratuity of any size other than what is on the drink bill any more.  Once upon a time, doing so seemed to make a difference in the quality  and timeliness of service.  Not recently.  If the Bartender(s) recognize you--or your cruise card shows a high tier of cruise line loyalty--that seems to be the difference.  Do I reward such attention at the end of my cruise?  You had better believe it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please forgive the multiple above posts.  I followed CC directions for posts in a short period of time and this is the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

And, this is the very reason I do not offer a gratuity of any size other than what is on the drink bill any more.  Once upon a time, doing so seemed to make a difference in the quality  and timeliness of service.  Not recently.  If the Bartender(s) recognize you--or your cruise card shows a high tier of cruise line loyalty--that seems to be the difference.  Do I reward such attention at the end of my cruise?  You had better believe it!

 

The thing is;  we had never tipped this bartender the first time we'd come across him, but we had had some great nights with him in the Cigar lounge.  Both he and we were delighted to see each other again so the service we received from him had nothing to do with money and everything to do with how we'd interacted with him before.  This has been our experience many times when meeting crew for a second (and even a third) time.  Great service isn't always dependent on how much, or if, you tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 7:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

And, this is the very reason I do not offer a gratuity of any size other than what is on the drink bill any more.  Once upon a time, doing so seemed to make a difference in the quality  and timeliness of service.  Not recently.  If the Bartender(s) recognize you--or your cruise card shows a high tier of cruise line loyalty--that seems to be the difference.  Do I reward such attention at the end of my cruise?  You had better believe it!

 

Bartenders could not care less about your status.  Bartenders interact with those who take the time to interact with them and $$ always helps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

 

Bartenders could not care less about your status.

 

Your comment most surely differs from what I experienced on Coral Princess at Crooner's.  The Bartender and the a couple of Stewards, observing my Black Elite Card, reacted very positively to such.  Their service (and the Bartender's pours) validated my observation.

 

I agree that leaving an additional gratuity (as I now do at the end of a cruise) earns rewards when one encounters that staff member on another cruise.  But, doing so during a cruise:  once upon a time it did, but not recently in my experience.

 

Perhaps it is dependent upon the service staff member who receives an additional gratuity on one's cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Your comment most surely differs from what I experienced on Coral Princess at Crooner's.  The Bartender and the a couple of Stewards, observing my Black Elite Card, reacted very positively to such.  Their service (and the Bartender's pours) validated my observation.

 

I agree that leaving an additional gratuity (as I now do at the end of a cruise) earns rewards when one encounters that staff member on another cruise.  But, doing so during a cruise:  once upon a time it did, but not recently in my experience.

 

Perhaps it is dependent upon the service staff member who receives an additional gratuity on one's cruise?

 

So glad you had a good experience with your black card RKA.  My experience has been a bit different.  Since I spend a good deal of time with bartenders onboard I have enjoyed friendships with many.  I never tip during a cruise only at the end.  To me, tipping upfront and for each drink is usually unnecessary.  Although every once in a while it can be effective...usually when you have to fight the crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 4:42 PM, Brendaflamingo said:

His name was Vishnu on the Seaside last September.

He is Indian and very tall. He can speak English very well but he said he cannot read it.

Im worried when I go again and if I have great service, I don't want to offend my butler, if he usually gets more.

Thanks

Vishnu is one of the best!! Trust me.......you won't offend any butler by giving them an extra tip, whatever that amount may be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, frank808 said:

.

 

Sailing Oasis class I have seen my fair share of P's that get catered to at the detriment of suite guests.  Another P that sails in suites and I have that discussion often of our observations.  It is not like that on every sailing as there are some very nice P's that are low key and friendly.  Then you have the other bunch tries to make CK and the SL their private club.  

 

 

Unfortunately my husband and I have experienced this as well on RC.  We'd sailed many times with our daughters were younger, in a regular balcony cabin, usually on the hump, with our girls across the hall in an interior.  Once the nest became empty and it was just us, we decided to mix things up a bit and try sailing in suites.  Something different, and it would get us to Diamond faster, for better perks/discounts.  Of course we loved it, but then we got to discover the whole Pinnacle thing.  It was a B2B we did on Freedom of the Seas in an Owners Suite.  We figured we'd skip the drink package because we have the concierge lounge available for our pre-dinner drinks.  I think they may have changed the lounge situation on these ships, but back then it was a smaller interior lounge with no windows.  First night, line out the door starting at 4:30, and you couldn't get in that lounge with a shoe horn.  We met several P couples on our cruises who were very warm and welcoming, who I'm still in contact with on social media, and others who weren't.  We ended up getting a drink package and never really used the lounge at all.  That was the same cruise where we were seated in the dining room next to a Pinnacle couple who were cruising with friends who were either new to RC or new to cruising.  They were so demanding of the wait staff, I felt so sorry for the assistant waiter.  When something didn't happen fast enough, the man actually clapped his hands in her face and said "chop! chop!"  (He really did that...we couldn't believe it.)  Of course, that made her even more nervous and frazzled.  On our way out that night we told the matre d what we'd witnessed, and that his staff were obviously trying their very best and these people were just not very nice people.  He thanked us and moved our table away from them.

 

Probably our worst experience was on the Harmony of the Seas transatlantic in 2016.  The "big one" bringing Harmony to the US for the first time.  We were in a GS with access to CK and the lounge.  On the very first night we went to the lounge for a drink, we were told by some people standing just inside the door, "this lounge is for Pinnacles only."  I went around the corner to the concierge desk and asked the 2 who were on for our cruise if that was the case.  They were very apologetic and found seats for my husband and I.  Regardless, it still turned out to be a great cruise.  I really enjoy talking to the people in top tier because they obviously love to cruise, and I enjoy hearing about their favorite itineraries, etc.  In fact, we did the transatlantic because we were told by a very nice couple we met in the CL on Radiance that if we enjoyed sea days we should try a TA.

 

Since sailing with RC we've done 3 cruises with Celebrity in suites, and haven't experienced anything like that with the few Zenith members that we've met in the lounges.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, Jule815.  I had no idea it is that bad.  Rethinking getting a suite on Oasis-class now.😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I never tip during a cruise only at the end.  To me, tipping upfront and for each drink is usually unnecessary. 

 

That is what I do as well with an occasional exception.  On Coral Princess in the Elite Lounge, twice, I ordered asked for a glass of wine from the bottle I purchased stored at Crooner's.  Since the Stewards were not receiving any gratuity for that particular request, I gave them a small gratuity when they served me my wine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

That is what I do as well with an occasional exception.  On Coral Princess in the Elite Lounge, twice, I ordered asked for a glass of wine from the bottle I purchased stored at Crooner's.  Since the Stewards were not receiving any gratuity for that particular request, I gave them a small gratuity when they served me my wine. 

 

Like I said...every once and a while it becomes necessary...especially when you are going to frequent a particular crowded bar throughout the cruise.  I’ll put a $20 bill against a status pin any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok...I'll bite...what is a status pin?  Is that the cheap little pin that a cruise line sends to you to throw away?  Who knew they had value?  I give mine to the little  grands.  Do people actually wear them?  Who knew this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nashna said:

Ok...I'll bite...what is a status pin?  Is that the cheap little pin that a cruise line sends to you to throw away?  Who knew they had value?  I give mine to the little  grands.  Do people actually wear them?  Who knew this?

 

Value?  Not much expect maybe recognition by staff or shore side personnel.  During embarkation, wearing such helps the staff member assist me to correct line for check-in.  Once on-board, I will wear mine until I change for dinner.  Why?  Because I don't want to take the time to take it off.  Too many other more important, to me, things to do on that first afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Status lapel pins are like a boy scout that earns a pin for accomplishing something, or a teacher who gives out a gold star for every book a student reads, or like a Disney aficionado weighted down by every pin Disney concocts. To normal people they have no real value, but to some these lapel pins have a mind altering affect and they feel entitled. We were presented with 2 pins on the Seaside this past summer at the future cruise desk from a charming young lady named Buse, having booked 2 more royal suites. I looked at them and pushed them back across the table to her with a thank you, but no thanks, they have a bad affect on people. She understood. At least she is trained or pretended to understand passenger quirks , like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tips on top of auto gratuity seems silly, but IMHO tips are according to what you perceived to received.  BUT in society $ talks tips tend to hit earlier in hope you get a better service.  While ago, first time in YC, a butler helped us into the checkin/waiting lounge, gave him $20 for help with bags to start.  Then realize this is just a hand off land based butler.  Different butler helped us to YC lounge with bags to wait as rooms were not ready, gave the lady $20.  Thang it, not our butler again.  Once in our room and hour later our butler showed up and introduce himself and his assistance.  I wanted to wait but my mother went ahead and tip him $40 and $20 for assistant in hope of getting a good service (?we dont ask much, last 8 cruises, our request 'have a nice day').  Over our stay we really didn't asked for much.  Certain drinks for the mini-bar, pick from pillow menu but my prefer pillow was out.  Butler usage was paramount when getting to the show or getting off the ship.  Our butler was so busy, and had other butler filled in, so we also, tip them $20 each.  Since we cruise around X-mas or week before Easter, we tend to take some chocolate and give to bar/restaurant/maid staff.  This is not much but a thought and has always had positive return.  Tipped waiter and assistance $20 each.  So, we burned through $220 in tips, but it sure was worth it as all those got the tip the first time did recognized us and gave faster service, and truly a remarkable service.  If I had money to burn, I would tip more but with tight budget that is all I could afford (on top of $12k in fare for three YC staterooms and other expenses MSC squeezed out of me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mafig said:

OMG, Jule815.  I had no idea it is that bad.  Rethinking getting a suite on Oasis-class now.😐

Oh no, don't not book because of my post.  We still enjoyed all of our cruises with RC and will continue to sail with them.  Great cruise line and beautiful ships, especially Oasis class.  That nasty man we encountered in the dining room was probably just as nasty before receiving his Pinnacle status.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...