Cruise Critic Community
Cruise-y

Vintage Room

I'm interested in booking the Vintage Room for the multi-course tasting dinner one night, but the website won't let me select a date.  I understand that they need 12 people to make it happen, but for planning purposes I'd kind of like to have a date in mind.   Any advice or comments?  If they got 12 to sign up would they let us know ahead of time or not until we're on the cruise?

Posted (edited)

If you plan on attending one of shared Vintage Rooms then the date won’t be known until you are onboard

Even If they get 12 or whatever the required minimum is) signing up in advance for the shared one I’ve never heard of them advising the date in advance

They need to fit it in with the ships schedule and with any Private Vintage Room bookings 

Of course if you want to book a Private VR you can generally select the date unless someone else has already booked it ahead of you 

Edited by Stickman1990

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

If you plan on attending one of shared Vintage Rooms then the date won’t be known until you are onboard

Even If they get 12 or whatever the required minimum is) signing up in advance for the shared one I’ve never heard of them advising the date in advance.

We have participated in several shared Vintage Room dinners, and this advice is correct. The Head Sommelier generally has already determined what evening the Vintage Room dinner is planned during your cruise. You can seek him out, even on embarkation day, and enquire almost immediately what is being planned on your cruise.You are not charged for the dinner until it actually occurs, so if the Head Sommelier selects a day/time that does not work, one is under no obligation to attend. There is often a waiting list for the shared Vintage Room dinners, so the place at the table will be filled. IMHO, there is no downside to sign up for the Vintage Room on the PCPC, at the least, it will secure a reservation for you.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

They need to fit it in with the ships schedule and with any Private Vintage Room bookings.

Of course if you want to book a Private VR you can generally select the date unless someone else has already booked it ahead of you. 

This advice is also correct. We have hosted a private Vintage Room dinner and were offered several dates during our cruise to select. We could not pre-book the room prior to boarding the ship. Once onboard, we met with the Head Sommelier very early in the cruise to determine the date, the time and to customize the menu and wines to fit our group.

For the shared Vintage Room dinners, the event generally starts around 7:00pm+/- and concludes when all the wine is finally consumed, about 3 1/2-4 hours later. Enjoy!!🍷🍷🍾

Rob

Go ahead and express your interest by booking. You will not be disappointed as some of the wines on offer can be truly amazing! We did the Vintage Room on a World Cruise segment two years ago where the menu was set by Scott Webster, the visiting guest chef. We started with Krystal Champagne and went up from there, including Penfold Grange!

We love the Vintage room.  We have hosted several Private Vintage Room dinners, most recently this summer on the Symphony.  We arranged the menu and wines once on board, but we were able to secure a firm date a couple of months prior to the cruise.  When we plan to attend a shared Vintage Room we book it online and find the Head Sommelier on the first day of the cruise to personally express our interest and he will usually give us an idea of when the event will be held.  Shared or private, it’s a great way to spend an evening!

Thanks to all for the advice to pre-reserve.  Once aboard, this sounds like a good job for the butler (for whom I can't find very many jobs).

We have done the similar tasting menu on other cruises and were always pleased.  Once on RCL (which I realize is not luxury) we dined with the ice skating professionals, who were supposed to have the venue to themselves.  RCL has its limitations for sure (too long to discuss here), but the ice skating shows are truly spectacular.  The food was great (maybe ratcheted up a notch for the stars) and we really enjoyed their interesting, international discussion.  They welcomed us with kindness and friendship, even though they probably didn't like us imposing on their private dinner.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise-y said:

We have done the similar tasting menu on other cruises and were always pleased.  

One point of clarification I’d like to make is that the Vintage Room is more geared around the wines served - the food dishes are good but in reality the food is secondary IMHO to the wines 

Here’s an example of a VR menu from last year on Serenity although this one was a private VR the menu is pretty standard 

5396ADEC-FA0A-4658-B3AF-41C66FACE978.thumb.jpeg.5740c1769ef3f4f6577271f8346d0755.jpeg

4C7D0043-4E46-4532-964A-A6A8A4B8E752.jpeg

5CFAAA85-3437-4FF3-91D4-4286D00F2E95.jpeg

4ECEBECF-C139-4DBE-8F1F-728E9FD81BA4.jpeg

5E7A3EBC-A9E9-48EF-83A8-6BC835135F40.jpeg

4CA375DB-94AE-4E1A-A782-4672FC883085.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

We started with Krystal Champagne and went up from there, including Penfold Grange!

Ahh - some of our best Aussie “swill” - I hope you enjoyed it 

Just wanted to add that if it's along voyage and lots of people sign up they add more Vintage Rooms.  Sometimes it is known day one and sometimes it is not.

If you don't see the Sommelier just stop by the front desk and they will locate them for you.

We find the food to be delicious and it is enhanced by the wine or is it the wine is enhanced by the food or both.

You can also look at the menu ahead of time and should you have any issues with any of the items they are happy to change it for you.

It's an outstanding experience.  The Head Sommelier's are terrific and we have learned so much from them over the years.

Keith

We did the Vintage on the Symphony last year.  It was wonderful and the great thing is that it happened to fall on our wedding anniversary.

21 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Ahh - some of our best Aussie “swill” - I hope you enjoyed it 

I think you could say that, Terry! Tilmar told us afterwards that we went through nine bottles of Grange at $900.00/bottle!!!!!

Posted (edited)

Not that we have any plans to do so, but out of pure curiosity, if one "sponsors" a VR, does one pay the entire cost, or is it portioned out to the "attendees"?? Logic says "If you invite them, you pay for them.", but I am curious.

Edited by Roland4

The host is billed for the VR if it is a private party. If guests reimburse the host it is a private arrangement. 

21 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

The host is billed for the VR if it is a private party. If guests reimburse the host it is a private arrangement. 

That makes sense. Thanks. 

Maybe someday although I am a wine sipper and not really a drinker. 

Alternatively you can book a Champagne Lunch in the Vintage Room. 

The first Vintage Room was so delicious, we actually overate and we could barely eat dessert.  Don't eat everything! It's too much to eat.  Leave room for Drink!  I know it's so good but....

4 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Not that we have any plans to do so, but out of pure curiosity, if one "sponsors" a VR, does one pay the entire cost, or is it portioned out to the "attendees"?? Logic says "If you invite them, you pay for them.", but I am curious.

Larry,  it depends on who the sponsors are and the arrangements.

From time to time we host a VR.  We host, we invite people and we pay.  

I have been involved with a joint vintage room where three couples organized the VR dinner.  One couple had four additional members of their family present, and we along with the other couple didn't.  The bill was pro-rated accordingly and charged to our respective ship-board accounts.

If someone invited me to a VR I would expect that they would pay unless up front they said the wanted to coordinate a VR and did we want to participate?

Keith

1 hour ago, AtA said:

Maybe someday although I am a wine sipper and not really a drinker. 

Oh that's fine.

In fact, there are several people who enjoy wine and learning about it and only sip a little bit of it.

As Kathy said you could try the lunch if it is held on your cruise but it's OK just to sip the wine and have just a little bit.

In fact, ahead of time you can just let the sommelier know to pour just a little bit in your glass.

My wife can no longer drink much wine.  I would say the equivalent of one glass but she still loves the VR. She can try a taste of the champagne, and wines served to appreciate what is being served and how the taste compares to the description provided by the Head Sommelier while enjoying the talk by the head sommelier, the discussions with fellow guests, and the lovely cuisine, service and ambience of the VR.

I have also dined at the VR with people who don't drink or couldn't that night due to a circumstance and they had a lovely time.

Keith

On 8/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, Roland4 said:

I think you could say that, Terry! Tilmar told us afterwards that we went through nine bottles of Grange at $900.00/bottle!!!!!

Seriously?  Unlimited Grange?  How do they even make any money?  

On 8/13/2019 at 11:58 PM, Stickman1990 said:

One point of clarification I’d like to make is that the Vintage Room is more geared around the wines served - the food dishes are good but in reality the food is secondary IMHO to the wines 

I agree completely with Terry on this.  The food served in the VR is merely a few degrees better than that offered in Waterside, as it's being prepared in dramatically fewer portions and with a little more time for attention to detail.

As to the wine, well that reminds me of the story of the race car owner talking to his chief mechanic:

Owner: "How fast can you make me go?"

Mechanic: "How much money you got?"

I'm also interested to know just how much of the chosen wines are offered. It sounds from the Grange story that it might be quite a lot. I had imagined that there might be 2 bottles of each wine available for 12 people resulting in a couple of small glasses per person. I'm also wondering on the choice of wines. I've seen some menus where the wines chosen have been substantially more premium than other menus. I know when it's a private dinner one can choose to have a smaller number of wines and thus increase the $ amount for the wines but what about the Vintage room dinners that one signs up for?

On 8/13/2019 at 8:54 PM, Roland4 said:

We did the Vintage Room on a World Cruise segment two years ago where the menu was set by Scott Webster, the visiting guest chef. We started with Krystal Champagne and went up from there, including Penfold Grange!

FYI, the VR dinner noted above was a unique and special dinner with the guest chef onboard during that voyage. The cost of that dinner was considerably more than the usual $250/pp charge. Hence, the selection of more expensive wines than usually served in a typical VR event.

8 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Seriously?  Unlimited Grange?  How do they even make any money?  

Agreed - it looks like it was a special VR as per Ryndam’s comment above - there’s no way that Grange is one of the standard pours in the VR - not even a bad years vintage (I’m sad to say)