Cruise Critic Community
beshears

Few questions about the Horizon ship

Since this is the first time for 8 of us to be on this ship, I am STILL trying to get answers for everyone else with me. If you have been on the Horizon, I would appreciate an answer to some of my questions, if you have one.

How do they determine which of the MDR restaurants you eat at? It looks like they are on both decks 3 & 4?  My room is at the very front (6205) of the ship, and the other 6 people are in the middle of the ship on deck 6.  I just wondered if where the rooms are located would have reference to which restaurant ((Forward or Aft) we would be at?

We have an Ocean view room, but has a small table.  "If I ask, do you think they would have a chair to replace the small table in that area, as it looks like there is plenty of room?

Is deck 3 the deck we get in/off the ship?

I pretty much know how to use the elevators that everyone is complaining about, but I have a question.  Once we put in the number of people that are wanting to go to a certain deck, are the elevators line up in (it would help if someone had a picture of the letters over the elevators, or how we would know/see which elevator to go to, after it shows on the panel we punch the number of people in) A, B, C order or what?  Just trying to find out "ahead" of time an easy way to learn. 🙂

Is there only 1 deck with the Fun Shops, or 2, and what deck/s are they on?

Well I haven't been on Horizon yet, but I hope you don't mind me replying. The Fun Shops are on deck 5, right by the Liquid Lounge on both port & starboard sides.

Here's a good demonstration video of the elevators. Notice the letters for each one are above the doors and light up to let you know which one is called for you.

I was hesitant to sail on one of the Vista class because of the number of people, but we're going with some of my wife's family and they picked the Horizon to fit in with everyone's schedules and port preferences. Feeling crowded is still in the back of my mind, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer.

One floor is my time dining and one floor it set time, early and late dining. 

where you disembark varies but not usually or ever 3.

Each elevator has a large elevator that the computer screen assigns you to.

If your cabins are linked, you will be assigned dining together so it doesn’t matter which dining room. We had my time and were not always on the same floor.

You do not enter a number for elevator request. You enter the floor you want to go to and are assigned a car (letter). Then you enter again for second person, etc. No, don’t worry, you will all get the same car.

I don’t remember what floor we got on or off. It was jus the one with the ramp and that was all that mattered. They will tell you where to disembark.

Never felt crowded. In fact there were lots of places to sit outside (or in) if you look.

Embarkation and Debarkation is on deck 3. When you are at a port during the cruise, you leave and enter the ship on deck 0. 

Thank you ALL for your answers in regard to how they determine which deck is for MDR, or My Time dining,  Fun Shops, and also the video of how the elevators work, as well as what deck we get on/off on.  I knew how the elevators worked, but at least this video, "showed" where the letter was above the elevator, so we would know where to look.

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this happens on all cruises on the Horizon but this is what we saw on embarkation day.  There was a crew member on deck 3 by the elevators.  There was also one crew member in each elevators.  They were over-riding the system.  The crew member outside the elevators was directing people to specific cars by the floor number you  were going to.  If I remember correctly, each elevator was only stopping on two floors.  The one they sent us to went to decks 9 and 11.  It was that way until everybody was onboard, then we were on our own.  That was in February, 2017 so maybe they don't do that anymore.

Edited by RWolver672

I know I just ask about "how" they determine which deck we go to for determining what deck we eat on.  Well I just ask that ( may/may not get the answer, as it may be a "secret,"), as I just heard back from the HZmaitred, and he said he has it down the type of table I requested.  I knew it was early, and didn't know if I would hear back, but I did. I also just ask how they determine what deck we will be eating on?  Just curious to see if he will answer this question.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:59 AM, RWolver672 said:

I don't know if this happens on all cruises on the Horizon but this is what we saw on embarkation day.  There was a crew member on deck 3 by the elevators.  There was also one crew member in each elevators.  They were over-riding the system.  The crew member outside the elevators was directing people to specific cars by the floor number you  were going to.  If I remember correctly, each elevator was only stopping on two floors.  The one they sent us to went to decks 9 and 11.  It was that way until everybody was onboard, then we were on our own.  That was in February, 2017 so maybe they don't do that anymore.

From my experience that seems to be pretty common these days.  We have been on multiple cruises this year including Horizon. On each cruise at a minimum several elevators were only going to the Lido deck and deck 5 (on ships that had Guys BBQ) during embarkation.