Regent VS Oceania for Tahiti

Good morning everyone. We are weighing up a cruise 10 nights Tahiti, March 202. Was fixed on Regent but then Oceania has same itinerary with inclusions quite a bit cheaper in Concierge cabin. Regent only have  Concierge available too at higher cost.

I keep reading negative reports on Navigator. But the ship has a few less passengers but the crew seem to be more personable.

what we  pull save on Oceania could be put towards some nights in a nice resort on another island somewhere.

any recommendations and comparisons appreciated.

We cruised Azamara Last cruise and enjoyed the smaller size with less passengers.

thank you for any feedback.

We have cruised Regent over 30 times and Oceania 2 times.  I seriously feel that the Paul Gauguin is the best ship to sail the islands of Tahiti (she was built for that area and can get into places that other ships cannot). Regent used to manage that ship and we loved our time sailing on her.

if you are determined to go on Regent or Oceania and feel that you will save money on Oceania, please do the math. Obviously Oceania is not all-inclusive and if you add up all of the charges, it may come closer to Regent’s fare than you may think.

Really hope that you check out the PG.

• Like 1

Yes that is correct. I am in Australia and the O offerings are included in this Tahiti cruise.

We decided not to go with PAUL Gauguin cruises, nor Windstar. A little too costly for us.

Also Windstar does not do their 10 night itinerary in March.

so gets down to Regent or Oceania.   

1 hour ago, jillyf said:

Sorry, I meant to add that Oceania has been advertising in Australia that some excursions, Wi-Fi and alcohol are included on some cruises.  

On Regent, all of those items are included. Just thought about Oceania’s included alcohol.  It is wine only and only during meals (could be beer as well.  Cannot recall)

Is the O cruise on Regatta?  If so, you may want to consider that the concierge suite is 216 sq ft, vs concierge on Navigator which is 356 sq ft.

I honesty would not be concerned about negative reviews of the Navigator, there are many who love it.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be great, have a wonderful time.

Bob

For once, I completely agree with Travelcat2.  The Paul Gauguin is a better choice than either Regent or Oceania to experience French Polynesia. And if you calculate the "all in" cost comparing Oceania and Regent, depending on the particular cruise you can end up surprised at how little difference in cost there is.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

I also agree about the Paul Gauguin, and we've been reassured that nothing much will change with the recent change in ownership.

I don't feel it's pricey, especially since the base price includes Economy Air return LAX.

But if you're comparing R and O, do remember the size of the cabins, and the inclusions.  The standard suite on Navigator is wonderful and roomy, my favourite of the fleet.

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I also agree about the Paul Gauguin, and we've been reassured that nothing much will change with the recent change in ownership.

I don't feel it's pricey, especially since the base price includes Economy Air return LAX.

But if you're comparing R and O, do remember the size of the cabins, and the inclusions.  The standard suite on Navigator is wonderful and roomy, my favourite of the fleet.

Economy Air????That's an 8 hour flight.  Regent is Business Class or a big credit.

16 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Economy Air????That's an 8 hour flight.  Regent is Business Class or a big credit.

A lot of times they’ll offer a BC upgrade package (well, some do, not sure about PG) at an attractive rate.  I’m too old to sit in coach for 8 hours - hell, we just booked First for a 2-hour flight to Miami in January...

• Like 1

Although we have never cruised on Oceania, we receive their brochures at least once a week. If the free inclusion is just O-life,  that allows you to choose from 1 of these options:  Free beverage package OR a few free excursions (based on the length of the cruise) OR onboard ship credit (based on the length of the cruise). With Regent, we get all of these, and we have free excursions offered in all ports, and always receive more shipboard credits than the small amount listed for O-life. Plus, we receive business class airfare, which is worth a lot to us. I no longer look at the Oceania brochures before I toss them in the recycle box.

But as many others have said, Paul Gauguin has been our preferred way to cruise French Polynesia.

We have upgraded the included Air Tahiti Nui flight to premium economy on the new plane since we don't like to share 3 seats with a stranger, but it was not inexpensive, and a business class upgrade was not at an attractive rate. Flying first class is never an option for us, and business class is only when it's included by Regent so it's a special treat for us. We normally fly premium economy since we're both tall, and need the extra leg room.

Edited by SWFLAOK
typos

We went to French Polynesia on the PG but paid for excursions, upgraded to business class for cost, and had an ok cabin with tiny closet.  The next year we went on Regent for first time on Navigator but to different location.  We much prefer Navigator.  I would not want to go to some of these small islands on anything bigger than Navigator.  Actually, PG is better size for the location but I might pick Navigator and definitely nothing bigger. 

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Think that you need to check the Regent website regarding Business Class air to or from Tahiti. I seem to remember that it was economy air and posters were not happy.  Having been to Tahiti about 5 times (only once via cruise ship), the flights are very limited and therefore, so are Business Class seats.  We have done Economy Air to Tahiti and will never do it again!

7 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Didn't you recently say that the Mariner is your favorite ship of the fleet?  Perhaps I am misremembering!  Were you were referring to the suites on Navigator (although the suite size is the same on Voyager)?  

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Think that you need to check the Regent website regarding Business Class air to or from Tahiti. I seem to remember that it was economy air and posters were not happy.  Having been to Tahiti about 5 times (only once via cruise ship), the flights are very limited and therefore, so are Business Class seats.  We have done Economy Air to Tahiti and will never do it again!

Nope, we booked the Tahiti cruise on the Navigator, air is Business Class.  We took the air credit of $3,500.00pp (one way) as we like to book are own air (we always go in early for a cruise).  

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

A lot of times they’ll offer a BC upgrade package (well, some do, not sure about PG) at an attractive rate.  I’m too old to sit in coach for 8 hours - hell, we just booked First for a 2-hour flight to Miami in January...

Bill, I passed too old to travel coach sometime ago (even on short flights). Way to old😁

39 minutes ago, AtA said:

Agree 100% about the PG being the best way to see the islands

I would agree with this - the Navigator and any Oceania ship is way too big for these islands.  I've only ever sailed the South Pacific - at least ten cruises in all - aboard expedition ships with 100 passengers and zodiacs.  I think a lot of people think the South Pacific is like the Caribbean with all those harbours and infrastructure.  Beyond a few ports like Papeete and Lautoka, it isn't like that all.

Edited by Fletcher

Consider whether "all those negative reviews" of Navigator are from a lot of people, or just a couple who repeat their dislike frequently.

OK, I'm a little defensive because I'm in the "love the Navigator" school.  I'm booked on her for French Polynesia in April, and very much looking forward to it. I've been twice on the Paul Gauguin, once under Regent and once as an independent line.  It's nice too, but I wouldn't necessarily call it the best way to go.

I've not been on Oceania, but have heard good things about it from those who have. As others have said, an apples-to-apples of what's included (tips, the types of beverages you actually prefer, airfare in the class of service you want, excursions, etc.) is in order. And, of course, look at the inclusions that matter to you.  If you're not much of a drinker, alcohol inclusion won't have value to you. If you're good with flying economy, the included business class air doesn't matter. If you don't like ship's excursions, included excursions don't make sense for you. Etc.

Having just booked my excursions for the FP cruise, I have to say I was disappointed in the number and percentage of excursions that were Regent Choice (i.e., pay extra). While I found satisfactory excursions from the included list--there were plenty of snorkel and motu options included--I am hoping that this is not a growing trend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

What I meant was that you are assessing the price of this cruise, you can remove the cost of the air for the real cost.  Then you can add back in any kind of air you wish that you book on your own.  We have used Air France the last two times, and find the PE (Premium Economy) quite comfortable for a daytime flight, and Biz for the night flight.  But ATN now has a dreamliner (I believe) that has PE and lie-flat biz.

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Didn't you recently say that the Mariner is your favorite ship of the fleet?  Perhaps I am misremembering!  Were you were referring to the suites on Navigator (although the suite size is the same on Voyager)?  

What I said was that the Navigator suites were our favourite in the fleet (the old fleet, I should have said, since I haven't sailed Explorer yet.)

And let me just reiterate, even Navigator is too large for these islands.  The PG or even Windstar are "just right".

56 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Don't forget (I've heard) that Regent also use's charter flights for Tahiti. Some old post talked about that out of LAX.  

Yep.  Because there aren't enough Biz seats going and coming from the islands to fill any cruise ship.  Presumably the charter is all-business?

We have done the French Polynesia and Cook Islands twice with the R size ships (identical), that were originally built for the Renaissance line (defunct)one with Oceania and another with Princess, who owned that R type ship

at the time.  I think it is the Oceania Sirena now.

The size was perfect for this itinerary.  They remain our favorite cruises out of many.   We are fond of the R type ships, but have grown out of the smaller cabins. You really need a penthouse category to be comfortable. Unless something has changed in the last 18 months, the Oceania Concierge is the same as the standard veranda cabin, only more amenities are included.  If you really want to save money and feel the cabin would be ok ( after looking at photos etc) book the lowest cat veranda cabin, it will be identical in size.

We will be on our first Regent cruise in November, on the Explorer and the difference in the Concierge cabin on the Regent ships and R type Oceania ship is huge, both in size and other considerations in the research I have done. 

Whatever you decide, it is a wonderful cruise itinerary!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Consider whether "all those negative reviews" of Navigator are from a lot of people, or just a couple who repeat their dislike frequently.

OK, I'm a little defensive because I'm in the "love the Navigator" school.  I'm booked on her for French Polynesia in April, and very much looking forward to it. I've been twice on the Paul Gauguin, once under Regent and once as an independent line.  It's nice too, but I wouldn't necessarily call it the best way to go.

I may not love the Navigator but this has nothing whatsoever to do with why the PG is being recommended (I would recommend the PG over Explorer as well).  Many/most of us simply believe that anything larger than the PG doesn't work in French Polynesia (and the bottom of the ship has to be built for the shallow waters of the area).

It will be interesting to learn how much you miss (or how far the Navigator has to tender) since the ship is not built for the area.  You will be a good judge of that since you have done the PG twice.