Cruise Critic Community
Dan83

Roatan diving and the "cruise ship effect"

I'm looking for more diving options for our stop in Roatan next month.  We use a private driver for the day with Bodden Tours.  2 of us would like to dive in the morning while the rest of our party hits the beach and maybe snorkel.  Last time this worked out just ok.  We used Coconut Tree divers and they were great.  The problem was the travel time between the ship, there, and west bay beach.  Too much riding in the van and not enough fun time.  So I started looking at dive shops on or very near west bay beach.  It seems there is a reluctance of many of the dive shops to take cruise ship passengers.  They either won't take us at all or will only take a special group of cruise ship passengers and they need a minimum number to make the trip. So can anyone recommend a dive shop or any ideas for our situation?  I've done ship sponsored dive excursions in the past and don't prefer them at all.  The dive masters always seem nervous as cats when they have a boat full of ship passengers.  Even Coconut tree divers apparently separated out the ship divers from their land based divers.  On previous land vacations to st lucia, jamaica, and cozumel there was a noticeable difference in diving in the absence of this "cruise ship effect"

Posted (edited)

We booked with West End Divers for our cruise to Roatan in Dec. They pick up and drop off and will allow snorkelers on the boat with the divers. They were very responsive to our inquiries.

Unfortunately the cruise line canceled the stop in  Roatan so we don't get a chance to try them.

https://www.westenddivers.info/

Edited by mac66

Talk to coconut divers. Im sure they would take snorkelers out as well, and if not we did see people snorkeling on the left end of half moon bay. The beach there in front of the shop is also not bad, and super empty.   When we dove with them it was my daughter and i and a group of land based divers. 

Check with Roatan divers, first rate operator,small groups. The dive sites are very close to their dock so they go back to the shop between dives ,so you can do one or two dives,time permitting. They had a taxi meet us at the port and had one ready for us to go back. Great dives ! Awesome service. I can’t wait to go back.

Barefoot Divers, Subway, and Bananarama to name three I've dived with multiple times.  I never do the ship's dive excursions.

We visited Roatan last week. Ended up going with Blue Planet Divers.  It was the perfect choice for us.  We caught them on a slow day and it was just our group on the boat for the morning dive.  Snorkelers got to come along as well.  Excellent diving operation.  They made lazy divers out of us, took care of everything.  For our next trip to Roatan I won't consider diving anywhere else.