Vava’u - Tonga

OntarioCruiser38

We will be in Vava’u Tonga for a day in April 2020.

We would like suggestions, from those that have been, on things to do or possibly a great snorkel or boat tours for the day so we can see the surroundings. 

Looking for a great experience.

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by OntarioCruiser38

Have read 3 pages of posts based on the search term “Vava’u” I was left a little discouraged.   I reviewed the ship excursions and was left unimpressed.  

As well I did a general search on the internet looking for either a beach resort to use facilities or a snorkel operator.  The tourist site seriously needs to be updated as many operators seem to have gone out of business as their websites were no longer functioning.  Others did not respond to emails again leading us to them having gone out of business.   

I then researched hotels on the main island as I did not think resorts would pick us up for the day by water.   The one resort was already hosting cruise ship passengers as an organized excursion so we passed on that idea as we don’t want the crowds.  

I tried another  smaller hotel who quickly responded  but I struck out.  So I asked if they knew of a reliable snorkelling operation.   As such, we are thinking about a snorkelling excursion. 

I contacted Dive Tonga in Neiafu.  

Karley who responded within the hour of my first email gave me an excellent first impression and was very helpful.  This was great given I was working on this from the other side of the globe.   I searched feedback on another site and was surprised at first that there were only 28 reviews.  I found out that these were new operators.    

I figured a PADI operator who also taught would be professional and as such that is what I found.  Feedback stated they were professional, took good care of their equipment and that people were having fun. 

It was a very efficient series of emails and within the next  hour I had a deal so that I could take a group of 14 on a snorkelling tour for 5 hours.

Here is the Dive Tonga link. https://divingtonga.com/

I will drop back at the end of April 2020 with an update on our experiences.  

The great thing about cruise critics is that I should have no problem filling all my spots and within a few hours had more than half of them filled. 

Here are my additional posts setting up the excursion on cruise critics.   Try posts 482 and 483 of the Celebrity Solstice Roll Call for 

“1 April 2020: South Pacific, Fiji, & Tonga [Solstice]”

Thank you 

Jonathan

Edited by OntarioCruiser38
  • Like 2