Box Lunches on QM2?

DarCrav

its not been in my experience that the ship  doesn't offer box lunches, infact mostly there are signs up at most ports I have been to telling you not to take food off the ship due to various countries regulations. Australia and New Zealand are definatly two places I wouldn't; advise doing so and I'm sure they wouldn't be alone. Its a shame, Im sure the ship could do  a brilliant lunch...

• Thanks 1

They don't provide boxed lunches as far as I know. But we have on many occasions ordered breakfast from room service and made up our own sandwiches and taken  a light lunch off the ship.

Yes there are regulations in some countries but not all. We have found other passengers that have done this.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Thanks 1

I agrre you can take some ziplock bags and go to the buffet the night before, or order some sandwiches from room service in the evening , then some pastries at breakfast time.

However once I've been on the ship a few days,  missing the odd lunch is no problem .

Just buy a  bottle of bubbly in the port duty free, and find a nice spot in the sun .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agrre you can take some ziplock bags and go to the buffet the night before, or order some sandwiches from room service in the evening , then some pastries at breakfast time.

However once I've been on the ship a few days,  missing the odd lunch is no problem .

Just buy a  bottle of bubbly in the port duty free, and find a nice spot in the sun .

LOL! I might not be able to find my way back to the ship!

In general, nothing other than sealed bottles and factory wrapped packages can be taken off a ship.  It makes no difference if the food came from the US or the UK with stringent chain of custody documentation. 

We see these questions here from time to time.  Some want convenience, others just want to save money.  But for host countries the introduction of agricultural pests is a huge concern. 

I mean, we could all post guesses and opinions as to what food items can/cannot be brought into Canada, or - I dunno - maybe check what the regulations actually say.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

Remember, this is no different than carrying food off an international airline flight.

If the previous port-of call is in the US, it looks like most items that you'd pack in a personal lunchbox should be permitted.
A small soft-sided insulated lunchbag could be carried, with a small cold-pack inside to preserve any meat or dairy or whatever.

Or visit a grocery store in CornerBrook and try some local delicacies. There is a Dominion Store, a Sobeys, and a WalMart.
It's worth looking for Indian Candy, which is small chunks of smoked salmon (often with maple), eaten cold and great for picnics. Also buy a jar of bakeapple jam to eat on board or to take home.

https://www.internationaltraveller.com/crazy-newfoundland-food/

There are also some good local beers, but my advice would be to avoid the Black Horse lager ... unless you enjoy breaking wind like a Clydesdale!

• Like 1

While in Corner Brook, you'll find some snack items that are only available in Canada, such as Ketchup chips (potato chips not fries), Coffee Crisp chocolate bars, and anything with President's Choice branding.

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toronto/lifestyle/35-tasty-canadian-snacks-that-are-not-available-in-the-united-states

Make sure to stop in at Tim Hortons for some Timbits ... although frankly, despite the ubiquitous national fetish for their coffee, I find Canadian McDonalds' coffee to be better quality (they poached Tim Hortons' previous supplier).

I gather there's a food truck at the Corner Brook Canadian Tire store that offers a mean lobster roll and chipwagon fries.

• Like 1

On my many days on board Cunard, I have never seen box lunches available.  Actually I have never seen them available on any other lines as well.  And reading this discussion, I can understand why cruise ships avoid this service.

• Like 1