Cruise Critic Community
Some Schmoo

Grandeur Junior Suite priority check-in and boarding???

Hello everyone. 

Following is a list of Junior Suite perks from the RCI stateroom online reservation page. This is specifically from the Junior Suite category, not just the general suite category. 

• Priority check-in and departure lounge
  • Concierge  Services
  • Priority tender tickets
  • Complimentary luggage valet service
  • Luxury spa bathrobes to use onboard

The first item clearly shows  Priority check-in and departure lounge, but during a tel/con with a RCI rep, I was told these perks are not included  with the Junior Suites on the Grandeur out of Baltimore. 

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Junior Suite perks on the Grandeur, specifically the check-in and boarding perks?

Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Some Schmoo said:

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Junior Suite perks on the Grandeur, specifically the check-in and boarding perks?

You can use the suite line for check in and board with suites.

Posted (edited)

Typical RCI website errors  ....I don't know of any concierge service for JS cabins, unless you are Diamond and above with C&A.  

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Typical RCI website errors  ....there is no concierge service for JS cabins.  

I don't think there's any priority tender tickets for JS either.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Oh no...you don't think RCI would make any mistakes on their "award winning" website do you?  😄 

I don’t think there is a private departure lounge either. Believe that comes when you hit Platinum as I recall. Definitely no priority tender or concierge. 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Oh no...you don't think RCI would make any mistakes on their "award winning" website do you?  😄 

It would be a rare mistake, I agree!

Ok here's  the facts. From someone who actually had a junior suite, and went out of baltimore on granduer. 

Yes you do get priority boarding. In fact in my few cruises, baltimore has one of the nicest suite waiting areas. 

And they do have a concierge lounge, up by the viking crown lounge. I did not try to enter because i thought that was for grand suite and above. Diamond lounge is down on six. 

Not many ports tender. So we did not tender for any, so i can not answer that. 

And yes bathrobe in suite. 

We choose to self disembark, but was not offered luggage valet, i assume that's once again for grand suite and above    Hope this helps

Will be back on her in Nov 

We were on Grandeur in May in a junior suite.  The check-in lines were all so short that I don't think it mattered much if you were in a priority line.  I'm not even sure what line I was in but it wasn't the suite line.  We walked straight through.

We did not have robes in the cabin but our cabin attendant brought them when I asked.

We did Grandeur in May and there was no priority for us in the junior suite.  We stood in the gold line for a while.  Maybe 30/45 minutes but some of that was due to a medical emergency at the desk 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Some Schmoo said:

Hello everyone. 

Following is a list of Junior Suite perks from the RCI stateroom online reservation page. This is specifically from the Junior Suite category, not just the general suite category. 

NOTE: Although we sailed on Vision on our first cruise in a JS, not sure about Grandeur, but I think these "perks" are highly dependent on the ship, port, location.

• Priority check-in and departure lounge NO...at least not on Vision, unsure about the other ships. This might be dependent on the departure port.
  • Concierge  Services Nothing noted on this or wasn't mentioned.
  • Priority tender tickets No.
  • Complimentary luggage valet service No.
  • Luxury spa bathrobes to use onboard Yes, we did have these in our cabin.

The first item clearly shows  Priority check-in and departure lounge, but during a tel/con with a RCI rep, I was told these perks are not included  with the Junior Suites on the Grandeur out of Baltimore. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by johnjen

Every time we have sailed in a Junior Suite, our print out for the port ('SetSail Pass') has designated us as 'SUITE' category. We have always been pointed to the 'Suite' queue. This includes Grandeur out of Baltimore in December 2017. 

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful information. Short of a crystal ball, Cruise Critic is always great with answers. 

Sailed on the Grandeur a couple of times in a Junior Suite and the only perks received were:

1. Priority boarding

2. Coffee and tea in stateroom

3. Robes

4. Double points

5. Some sort of bath amenities (shampoo, soap, lotion, etc)

You do not receive priority departure or any of the other perks you have listed.

The big deal is if you get the Suite line for the initial document check, before security.

The "normal" line tends to be long.  Once you get through security, all the lines are pretty short.

We normally arrive around 10:30 - 11, and just board after check in.

FYI, you don't get "double points."  You get 1 point per night for sailing, 1 point per night for any suite, and 1 point per night if solo.  Slight, but significant difference. 🙂

22 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Ok here's  the facts. From someone who actually had a junior suite, and went out of baltimore on granduer. 

Yes you do get priority boarding. In fact in my few cruises, baltimore has one of the nicest suite waiting areas. 

And they do have a concierge lounge, up by the viking crown lounge. I did not try to enter because i thought that was for grand suite and above. Diamond lounge is down on six. 

We choose to self disembark, but was not offered luggage valet, i assume that's once again for grand suite and above    Hope this helps

Thanks for updating everyone.  Looking forward to our first Baltimore embarkation next year, and first time on one of the sweet little Vision sisters.  🙂  

And yes indeed Vision has a CL and a DL (only ships without CL/DL/SL are Majesty and Empress).   To access CL indeed you need to be in full suite or D+ and above.  Vision also has a DL, but need to be at least Diamond and above for that one.  JS pax do not have access to either concierge lounge unless they meet those requirements, their key would not open either door.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SRF said:

FYI, you don't get "double points."  You get 1 point per night for sailing, 1 point per night for any suite, and 1 point per night if solo.  Slight, but significant difference. 🙂

And agree...as simply put...Each pax in the cabin of whom are enrolled in the Crown and Anchor Society will receive two points per night if in a Junior Suite and above.  Solo indeed benefit an extra point, which is fair since they have to pay more.  

Edited by island lady

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Each pax enrolled in the Crown and Anchor Society will receive two points per night if in a Junior Suite and above.  

Not if they are solo in the suite.

That's why it's better not to use the term "double points" and just say an extra point per night.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not if they are solo in the suite.

That's why it's better not to use the term "double points" and just say an extra point per night.

Thanks Bob...I was working on rewording the post as you posted.  Beat me to it as usual.  😉 

21 hours ago, StacieC said:

We did Grandeur in May and there was no priority for us in the junior suite.  We stood in the gold line for a while.  Maybe 30/45 minutes but some of that was due to a medical emergency at the desk 

Baltimore can be hit or miss.  I sailed out of the there in the Royal and the first time the regular concierge was on vacation so we were on our own in the port....the people directing us where to go looked at my set sail pass and saw that we had no status (aka this was our first cruise ever) and pushed us into the standard line.  I was like..."Hey hold up....I'm in a suite"....then they were like "ohh so sorry....wrong line"

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, Host Clarea said:

Correct,  we are just of Grandeur  and priority tendering was specifically for full suites and pinnacles only.  They even allowed full suite and Pinnacles a priority off at ports with no tendering. 

Edit to add - Can't comment on check-in or boarding as  when we arrived, boarding had already started.  After we checked in, we simply walked to  the ship.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

23 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

We pretty much had the same experience.  That being said, the tub/shower make this cabin worth it every time vs. the dreaded shower curtain situation in the regular cabins.  

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Correct,  we are just of Grandeur  and priority tendering was specifically for full suites and pinnacles only.  They even allowed full suite and Pinnacles a priority off at ports with no tendering. 

M

We experienced the same.  

When i arrive at port, and have my js or better. I always ask for the suite lines. 

I paid for it, you bet I'm gonna use it. 

When we were on granduer in april, they were doing coast guard inspection. The b2b'ers had to leave the ship. In the suite waiting area they had coffee,tea,juice,water,pasteries. Don't know if it's always like this. But will update in Nov. 

Sometimes in some ports...I find the regular line shorter than the upper tier/suites line.  So I just get in that one.  😉