Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Hawaiidan

Oceania arranged flight experience

Recommended Posts

To all who have taken the " included air"  with and without  using the premium economy option,    What was your experience if you were flying from the west coast  SFO/SAN/LAX?  without custom routing fees.

To Europe   ROME, Venice, Barcelona, Amsterdam.   :    Departure time,   Carrier,  #connections, layover time, Arrival .        Also the same for  Miami, NY, Montreal    domestic

Curious as to what the offer or have had  in the past  if any can remember flight details      

 

 Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time will be using Oceania air this month. Very happy with the flight non-stop LAX - LHR in premium economy. They even picked great seats for us and it couldn’t be better if I do it myself. We prefer to fly business, but did premium economy to Europe one time before on our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

To all who have taken the " included air"  with and without  using the premium economy option,    What was your experience if you were flying from the west coast  SFO/SAN/LAX?  without custom routing fees.

To Europe   ROME, Venice, Barcelona, Amsterdam.   :    Departure time,   Carrier,  #connections, layover time, Arrival .        Also the same for  Miami, NY, Montreal    domestic

Curious as to what the offer or have had  in the past  if any can remember flight details      

 

 Thanks 

Dan, you probably know the answer just don't want to hear it 

Prior experiences have no bearing on future experiences as they will offer the cheapest ticket/routing available at that time (unless you deviate).

You can get lucky - like osandomir above - but do you feel lucky, do you (to paraphrase Dirty Harry)?  😂

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we pay the deviation fee to fly in early

I would never fly to Europe the same day  not even in BIZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we pay the deviation fee to fly in early

I would never fly to Europe the same day  not even in BIZ

In addition,  I hope that you do know that if you miss the cruise - even if it's an O booked flight - you are on your own to catch up with the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Dan, you probably know the answer just don't want to hear it 

Prior experiences have no bearing on future experiences as they will offer the cheapest ticket/routing available at that time (unless you deviate).

You can get lucky - like osandomir above - but do you feel lucky. do you ?  😂

The truth is I do not know  the answer  because I have no historical data   That was my question... 

Yes things change and will. but  how much and when and why?     At this point  you nor I really know for sure.   

However, I hoped to see if there is any historical commonality  ... I do not know..  None of us know

 I do not think anyone has asked or any  gross information/ data base compiled. to  see the probability of anything...   from flights to gambling.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we pay the deviation fee to fly in early

I would never fly to Europe the same day  not even in BIZ

That was not the question I asked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we pay the deviation fee to fly in early

I would never fly to Europe the same day  not even in BIZ

 

Uh, right!

 

The front of the plane arrives mere micro-seconds before the rest of the plane, not enough time if there is a delay affecting the entire plane :classic_biggrin:

 

(Sorry.... couldn't resist!)

 

And I just cannot imagine taking the risk of flying in same day! 

There's also the stress if anything seems to be not working quite right... even if it all "ends up fine".

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

In addition,  I hope that you do know that if you miss the cruise - even if it's an O booked flight - you are on your own to catch up with the ship.

Which is meaningless unless we have data to see when and if and how such situations happen....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

The truth is I do not know  the answer  because I have no historical data 

What you do know is that the chances of getting the "best" direct non-stop flight (most expensive option) is a lot less than getting a cheaper flight with one or more connections.

The often measly O's credit for included flights seldom qualifies for the "best" flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

Uh, right!

 

The front of the plane arrives mere micro-seconds before the rest of the plane, not enough time if there is a delay affecting the entire plane :classic_biggrin:

 

(Sorry.... couldn't resist!)

 

And I just cannot imagine taking the risk of flying in same day! 

There's also the stress if anything seems to be not working quite right... even if it all "ends up fine".

 

GC

Please  folks....  all I wanted was experiences of the past... flights, routes, carriers, times.      Nothing else  at this point  is even matters.

So can you tell me what % of flights from the west coast miss the ship?   What carriers   What time of year  What ports..   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Dan, you probably know the answer just don't want to hear it 

Prior experiences have no bearing on future experiences as they will offer the cheapest ticket/routing available at that time (unless you deviate).

You can get lucky - like osandomir above - but do you feel lucky. do you ?  😂

 

Paul - you’re right, we are happy to get best flight. But before we booked Oceania air I did some research. It looks like that most of the time the cheapest most economical flight with a scheduler to get us to London on the day of the cruise is the direct flight LAX - LHR. Given Oceania contracted with BA our odds were good. 

 

We don't fly in on the day of the cruise normally, but this time it works best for us. Also we’ve been to London before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Which is meaningless unless we have data to see when and if and how such situations happen....

Most people DO make it on the ship on time but stuff happens - no way to predict that. It's not that unusual for flights to be late and miss connections.

Just think of what you would be faced with flying to Asia via HKG planning to arrive on the day of the cruise. Who could have predicted that crazy situation.

If you have a day or two to play with, you can make changes/adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Most people DO make it on the ship on time but stuff happens - no way to predict that. It's not that unusual for flights to be late and miss connections.

Just think of what you would be faced with flying to Asia via HKG planning to arrive on the day of the cruise. Who could have predicted that crazy situation.

If you have a day or two to play with, you can make changes/adjustments.

Paul..I am not arguing anything,  nor debating the merit of when to fly in or not.       That is not what I was trying to accomplish. All I wanted was to collect others experiences .   No philosophy, no personality  to nothing  but raw information to review  just on flights from  the west coast  to europe.      .thats all.     . Frustrating that people can not  just  give  their experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

so look up the data & stop being rude to people

 

I dont know whether to cry or laugh.....   I am trying here to look up the data, because it does not exist any place... That  is why I asked a very simple question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, osandomir said:

First time will be using Oceania air this month. Very happy with the flight non-stop LAX - LHR in premium economy. They even picked great seats for us and it couldn’t be better if I do it myself. We prefer to fly business, but did premium economy to Europe one time before on our own.

Thanks for  your information  August / LAX-LHR /non stop/  British Air. Prem econ..   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I dont know whether to cry or laugh.....   I am trying here to look up the data, because it does not exist any place... That  is why I asked a very simple question. 

 

I don’t think Dan was rude to anybody. This topic unlike some others on this board will benefit many Oceania cruisers if he gets more related answers to his question. I was looking for similar information when booked air inclusive rate. That’s why I responded to his thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense intended, but the OP's question has so many variables that it cannot be considered a serious inquiry, and I believe that he knows this.

 

Would it be productive to ask which parking spaces were available last week in front of the Oceania Headquarters,  when planning where to Park next October?

 

Sitting here, shaking my head.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

No offense intended, but the OP's question has so many variables that it cannot be considered a serious inquiry, and I believe that he knows this.

 

Would it be productive to ask which parking spaces were available last week in front of the Oceania Headquarters,  when planning where to Park next October?

 

Sitting here, shaking my head.

 

Ditto👍

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, osandomir said:

 

Paul - you’re right, we are happy to get best flight. But before we booked Oceania air I did some research. It looks like that most of the time the cheapest most economical flight with a scheduler to get us to London on the day of the cruise is the direct flight LAX - LHR. Given Oceania contracted with BA our odds were good. 

 

How was your flight  did it arrive on time?

 

My luck flying to LHR is the flights seem to be later  than the scheduled time

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

How was your flight  did it arrive on time?

 

My luck flying to LHR is the flights seem to be later  than the scheduled time

 

 

 

Our flight will be in a couple of weeks. I’ll post an update when we get on the ship. We realize the risk factor, especially with the recent BA pilots threatening to go on the strike. But if everything be alright with Oceania air arrangements we’ll save plenty of miles (money) compared to paying for business class tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, osandomir said:

 

Our flight will be in a couple of weeks. I’ll post an update when we get on the ship. We realize the risk factor, especially with the recent BA pilots threatening to go on the strike. But if everything be alright with Oceania air arrangements we’ll save plenty of miles (money) compared to paying for business class tickets.

Good luck

Looks like the pilots reached an agreement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, osandomir said:

 

Our flight will be in a couple of weeks. I’ll post an update when we get on the ship. We realize the risk factor, especially with the recent BA pilots threatening to go on the strike. But if everything be alright with Oceania air arrangements we’ll save plenty of miles (money) compared to paying for business class tickets.

Been watching the outcome! Looks like BA 

came to an agreement with the pilots! We

have a flight soon and glad they are fine!

Have a great trip!

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...