Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jamman54

Carnival Sunrise NYC Terminal relocation 9/16/19

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, beachnsnowbunny said:

We are on the Legend May 16th

 

i am also on the Legend cruise too, join our roll call 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Might be more than one step......but we are on a roll

We are getting somewhere because you usually give me the reasons they won’t so maybe the planets are shifting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, shof515 said:

 

i am also on the Legend cruise too, join our roll call 😄

That is a special cruise, if we had not locked in on the Radiance TA with a group a couple weeks before that was announced, we would have been on with you all.....

Edited by jimbo5544

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stick93 said:

We are getting somewhere because you usually give me the reasons they won’t so maybe the planets are shifting. 

LOL, just a different viewpoint, but the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

That is a special cruise, if we had not locked in on the Radiance TA with a group a couple weeks before that was announced, we would have been on with you all.....

We are excited, The Spirit class ships are our favorite and a Journeys cruise from New York on one is going to be fantastic.  It will be our first time to Saint Martin and Saint Thomas. 

Edited by beachnsnowbunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

That’s positive thinking.

 

May I take it one step forward and say maybe they are preparing to keep a ship here all year🤪 (one can dream). 

 

51 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Might be more than one step......but we are on a roll

I remember fondly the days of going out of NYC at thanksgiving and Christmas. Best deals I ever had, ship was never too crowded, and always was fun sailing in the snow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five of us just bought our non-refundable tickets on Greyhound to Port Authority terminal.  I am not familiar with NYC and I only knew how to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  We just loss our round trip bus money and now I don't know how to get to Brooklyn.  They should not be able to screw their passengers like this.  With all the negative reviews about this ship and now this, I know now I made a big mistake.  Anyone familiar with Brooklyn and Manhattan that can help me figure out what we should do.  We're coming from South Jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

How should they have notified you that would be better?  Shuttles to Brooklyn for who knows how many, how would they figure out who needs them, who would coordinate it what time would you need to get there to ensure timely transfer, who loads and unloads the bags, coordinate the baggage with each person, etc etc etc.   They will be notified, take that off the list.  Is it the way they notified you or the cost that bothers you most?

 

I think it’s the extra cost for a lot of us that is making us a little upset. Many will need To pay more for transportation, myself included. What was a 15-20 dollar Uber to port is now 55-60 dollars and even more coming home. Some have non refundable park/cruise packages that are now not useful. For those of us on the first cruise, we lose time onboard as well. I really think Carnival does not realize the extra expense needed to get to Brooklyn as it’s “only 8 miles” or the monetary fees many have to incur. I wouldn’t have booked two weeks ago if I knew of the change. They should be throwing us something to make up for the inconvenience even though it is not their fault but this isn’t what we signed up for. 

 

I understand repairs need to be made and it’s not going to ruin my trip. I don’t care about the sail away view as I’ve done it before. An extra 100 won’t break my bank account but we work hard to make a 100 dollars and I don’t take letting that go so easily lightly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

Five of us just bought our non-refundable tickets on Greyhound to Port Authority terminal.  I am not familiar with NYC and I only knew how to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  We just loss our round trip bus money and now I don't know how to get to Brooklyn.  They should not be able to screw their passengers like this.  With all the negative reviews about this ship and now this, I know now I made a big mistake.  Anyone familiar with Brooklyn and Manhattan that can help me figure out what we should do.  We're coming from South Jersey.

I’m from NJ. We’re taking NJ transit train into Penn station and getting a car service. Your best bet is to grab a cab,Uber, Lyft or arrange for a car service or Uber from Port authority. You can still use your tickets for the bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madamerkf said:

 

I remember fondly the days of going out of NYC at thanksgiving and Christmas. Best deals I ever had, ship was never too crowded, and always was fun sailing in the snow!

.....and you just hit on the reason that they do not sail year round out of New York.  They took a bath on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

 

I think it’s the extra cost for a lot of us that is making us a little upset. Many will need To pay more for transportation, myself included. What was a 15-20 dollar Uber to port is now 55-60 dollars and even more coming home. Some have non refundable park/cruise packages that are now not useful. For those of us on the first cruise, we lose time onboard as well. I really think Carnival does not realize the extra expense needed to get to Brooklyn as it’s “only 8 miles” or the monetary fees many have to incur. I wouldn’t have booked two weeks ago if I knew of the change. They should be throwing us something to make up for the inconvenience even though it is not their fault but this isn’t what we signed up for. 

 

I understand repairs need to be made and it’s not going to ruin my trip. I don’t care about the sail away view as I’ve done it before. An extra 100 won’t break my bank account but we work hard to make a 100 dollars and I don’t take letting that go so easily lightly. 

I get the extra cost factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our bus is scheduled to arrive at Port Authority at 12:10. Don't know how long it'll take to get to Brooklyn from there and will we make it in time.   I'll have to check to see if there is a bus from there to Brooklyn's bus terminal and then how far to pier.  Or as you suggested get a taxi.  Then coming home we had tix out of Port Authority at 1:00 so I'm sure we'll never make it. 

 

I still haven't received any communication from Carnival about this change.  UGH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

Our bus is scheduled to arrive at Port Authority at 12:10. Don't know how long it'll take to get to Brooklyn from there and will we make it in time.   I'll have to check to see if there is a bus from there to Brooklyn's bus terminal and then how far to pier.  Or as you suggested get a taxi.  Then coming home we had tix out of Port Authority at 1:00 so I'm sure we'll never make it. 

 

I still haven't received any communication from Carnival about this change.  UGH!

No expert here, but I cannot see a bus getting you there without at least making it uncomfortable, I would use Lyft or Uber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, just a different viewpoint, but the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars......

Oh, that's scary! Is this the Dawning Of The Age Of Aquarius? :classic_ohmy: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

Our bus is scheduled to arrive at Port Authority at 12:10. Don't know how long it'll take to get to Brooklyn from there and will we make it in time.   I'll have to check to see if there is a bus from there to Brooklyn's bus terminal and then how far to pier.  Or as you suggested get a taxi.  Then coming home we had tix out of Port Authority at 1:00 so I'm sure we'll never make it. 

 

I still haven't received any communication from Carnival about this change.  UGH!

If you get off the boat early you should make it back to port authority but it will cost you. I would do Uber or lyft as it is a pretty deserted area now that they moved the location. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, madamerkf said:

Be aware traffic going to/from Brooklyn can be a nightmare on weekdays so give yourself double the amount of time you think you need to get to Brooklyn. 

 

To drive to Manhattan (from our home in PA) should be around 3 hours.  For Brooklyn it looks like we should allow 3.5 hours.  Do we really need 7 hours?  We are aiming for 1:30 arrival with 5:00 final boarding time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion was for the OP to increase a one hour window to two on account of traffic that can occur going from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I would allow an extra hour to be safe coming from PA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Five of us just bought our non-refundable tickets on Greyhound to Port Authority terminal.  I am not familiar with NYC and I only knew how to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  We just loss our round trip bus money and now I don't know how to get to Brooklyn.  They should not be able to screw their passengers like this.  With all the negative reviews about this ship and now this, I know now I made a big mistake.  Anyone familiar with Brooklyn and Manhattan that can help me figure out what we should do.  We're coming from South Jersey.

 

They did not screw with their passengers. Carnival does not own nor manage the port authority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

 

I think it’s the extra cost for a lot of us that is making us a little upset. Many will need To pay more for transportation, myself included. What was a 15-20 dollar Uber to port is now 55-60 dollars and even more coming home. Some have non refundable park/cruise packages that are now not useful. For those of us on the first cruise, we lose time onboard as well. I really think Carnival does not realize the extra expense needed to get to Brooklyn as it’s “only 8 miles” or the monetary fees many have to incur. I wouldn’t have booked two weeks ago if I knew of the change. They should be throwing us something to make up for the inconvenience even though it is not their fault but this isn’t what we signed up for. 

 

I understand repairs need to be made and it’s not going to ruin my trip. I don’t care about the sail away view as I’ve done it before. An extra 100 won’t break my bank account but we work hard to make a 100 dollars and I don’t take letting that go so easily lightly. 

 

Carnival does not realize the extra expense? This is not a carnival repair or project. Your beef is with the port authority. Maybe you would have preferred carnival cancel the cruise? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got off the Sunrise on August 7th and we noticed when were leaving NY  there was equipment in the water at the next pier over  it looked like the were digging a big hole under the water - a backhoe like thing was bring up "mud" lol.  They were still doing this a week later when we returned - I wonder if this has anything to do with Carnival having to move to Brooklyn.  Glad we were able to leave from NYC and I feel for everyone who was planning on leaving from NYC and now has to find a way  to get to Brooklyn but at least cruises weren't cancelled - I know easy for me to say because my cruise wasn't affected.  I hope everyone has a great time despite the aggravation.  BTW I LOVED the Sunrise - no complaints at all - in fact I booked her again for next summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just wondering how NCL ships can still dock in Manhattan if the dock area is closed for repairs.  The lines owned by CCL(Princess, Cunard) already berth in Brooklyn so does it make sense for Carnival to keep all their "products" in one place.  Anyhow if some of us want to complain about the inconvenience, so what, just let us vent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

I'm just wondering how NCL ships can still dock in Manhattan if the dock area is closed for repairs.  The lines owned by CCL(Princess, Cunard) already berth in Brooklyn so does it make sense for Carnival to keep all their "products" in one place.  Anyhow if some of us want to complain about the inconvenience, so what, just let us vent.

Norwegian uses Pier 88 for their ships which is not effected by the constructions going on

 

6 minutes ago, Long Island65 said:

I got off the Sunrise on August 7th and we noticed when were leaving NY  there was equipment in the water at the next pier over  it looked like the were digging a big hole under the water - a backhoe like thing was bring up "mud" lol.  They were still doing this a week later when we returned - I wonder if this has anything to do with Carnival having to move to Brooklyn.  Glad we were able to leave from NYC and I feel for everyone who was planning on leaving from NYC and now has to find a way  to get to Brooklyn but at least cruises weren't cancelled - I know easy for me to say because my cruise wasn't affected.  I hope everyone has a great time despite the aggravation.  BTW I LOVED the Sunrise - no complaints at all - in fact I booked her again for next summer

With the equipment in the water, i wonder if that effects the ship turning radius pulling into the usually pier 90 that they always use for embark and disembark. In all of my cruises out of NYC, i am always amazed at how close they come to the other piers to make that turn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shof515 said:

Norwegian uses Pier 88 for their ships which is not effected by the constructions going on

 

With the equipment in the water, i wonder if that effects the ship turning radius pulling into the usually pier 90 that they always use for embark and disembark. In all of my cruises out of NYC, i am always amazed at how close they come to the other piers to make that turn

Excellent point, it could be a factor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, jlacy1987 said:

Looks like we'll now have to be one of the first off the ship because we've already booked tickets to go to the top of the One World Observatory and now have a much longer taxi ride to get there. And instead of taking the subway to the airport and saving money that way, we might end up having to take a taxi again. 

 

Actually the distance from either the Manhattan or Brooklyn Terminal to WTC is about the same.  With normal traffic, either route by taxi should be about 20 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a "back to back"...(or is it a "side to side"??) on one of these affected cruises.  We will need transportation from Brooklyn to the Manhattan cruise terminal at the conclusion of our Carnival cruise to get on the NCL Escape?  Is a taxi the best option?  Does anyone know the cost for that?  TYIA!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...