Cruise Critic Community
NateUpNorth

Pricing During a Down Economy?

I'm not prognosticating that an economic recession is, or isn't in the making, but current headlines got me to thinking.

I'm wondering if any of the more "experienced" cruisers around here recall if there was a drastic impact on pricing during the last market downturn? Say 2007 and the following few years?

I would imagine perhaps some of the higher ticket options may have seen some movement relative to the pricing at the time, but things like drinks/excursions etc not so much? 

Edited by NateUpNorth

2 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

I'm not prognosticating that an economic recession is, or isn't, in the making, but current headlines got me to thinking.

CEO FAIN seems to think that RCI (and cruise industry in general) is recession resistant:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21308-fain-cruise-industry-has-features-that-make-it-recession-resistant.html

6 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

I'm not prognosticating that an economic recession is, or isn't in the making, but current headlines got me to thinking.

I'm wondering if any of the more "experienced" cruisers around here recall if there was a drastic impact on pricing during the last market downturn? Say 2007 and the following few years?

I would imagine perhaps some of the higher ticket options may have seen some movement relative to the pricing at the time, but things like drinks/excursions etc not so much? 

Prices were much lower in 2007-2009. 

Just now, Host Clarea said:

To clarify - Compared to the "regular" prices at the time, correct? 

6 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

To clarify - Compared to the "regular" prices at the time, correct? 

Compared to prices now and prices pre-2007.  We were routinely getting JS prices that were the same as balcony prices pre and post 2007-2009 (or thereabouts).

You can get good prices you just have to look for them. I just booked a 7 nighter on the Oasis in Nov 2020 for $1126 with our balcony discount.

The fact that both the Mariner and the Harmony are in PC and the New Coco Cay has a lot to do with the pricing. The Empress and Majesty can be had at rock bottom prices also.

Edited by rt1092

31 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

$1126 with our balcony discount.

Is that per person? What's the balcony discount? I just checked and the cheapest Oasis cruise for 11/20 was ~2100 for 2.

image.png.f1e2fc293b794a15fa4bd9a752c69ff0.png

46 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Is that per person? What's the balcony discount? I just checked and the cheapest Oasis cruise for 11/20 was ~2100 for 2.

Diamond and higher get Balcony discounts.  I had an interior for my Allure trip in December, but found that with my Balcony Discount plus the current Maryland price, the price for a Central Park Balcony was 1497 for 2., though for some reason that didn't make sense to my TA, I was stuck paying the same port fees and taxes which apparently was 35 bucks more than they were currently charging, so i had to pay a little more, but it was less than my interior that I had, plus $150.00 OBC

1 minute ago, Rogueperson said:

Diamond and higher get Balcony discounts.  ....

Actually, it's Platinum and higher that get balcony discounts.  Discounts go up as C&A level goes up.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Actually, it's Platinum and higher that get balcony discounts.  Discounts go up as C&A level goes up.

I never noticed it before I hit Diamond.  Granted, I kind of jumped from Emerald to in one cruise so I didn't really see that tier for long.  Does it scale?  Higher discount for higher levels?

12 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I never noticed it before I hit Diamond.  Granted, I kind of jumped from Emerald to in one cruise so I didn't really see that tier for long.  Does it scale?  Higher discount for higher levels?

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 75 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Plus Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$350* for sailings of 10+ nights

Pinnacle Club Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$175* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$275* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$375* for sailings of 10+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from the dollar amount.

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Are the discounts automatic if booked online or do I need to call? It doesn't show on my receipt for a sailing that is 8+ months out.

We had a big 50th Wedding Anniversary cruise planned for 2009.  Bought our cruise in 2007 so we could pay for it over time.  We had 3 big price drops -- ended up paying about a third less than when we booked.  Cruise was not sold out.  We had a JS aft on Summit.

Mary

7 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Are the discounts automatic if booked online or do I need to call? It doesn't show on my receipt for a sailing that is 8+ months out.

You need to enter your C&A number at booking time to get the discount, being logged in does not give the discount.

You can call, but beware, they will re-price in order to add the discount.

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Diamond and higher get Balcony discounts.  I had an interior for my Allure trip in December, but found that with my Balcony Discount plus the current Maryland price, the price for a Central Park Balcony was 1497 for 2., though for some reason that didn't make sense to my TA, I was stuck paying the same port fees and taxes which apparently was 35 bucks more than they were currently charging, so i had to pay a little more, but it was less than my interior that I had, plus $150.00 OBC

Royal always seems to have a problem with port fees going up and down. I'm have an issue with my Oasis out of Cape Liberty next September. They said the difference will be added back to my account as a credit while we sail. By the way, I got an ocean facing balcony for under $1950 (including taxes and fees). I had over $650 in reductions since I booked two months ago😀

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I seem to remember that the low prices lasted into at least 2010 if not a little into 2011.  Back then, I remember seeing a 3 night cruise for $119.  We got a view for $190pp.  Back in the day where you could get a cruise on an old ship for under $100/night....

As for Fain's optimism- that's all nice and all for your shareholders.  But that's not, historically, how the industry has dealt with it.  Maybe he means that the company will be ok, but that does not mean rates would stay high.

8 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

I seem to remember that the low prices lasted into at least 2010 if not a little into 2011.  Back then, I remember seeing a 3 night cruise for $119.  We got a view for $190pp.  Back in the day where you could get a cruise on an old ship for under $100/night....

As for Fain's optimism- that's all nice and all for your shareholders.  But that's not, historically, how the industry has dealt with it.  Maybe he means that the company will be ok, but that does not mean rates would stay high.

I think you are correct, the low prices lasted beyond 2009.  I know they were gone by June 2014 for sure.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

You need to enter your C&A number at booking time to get the discount, being logged in does not give the discount.

You can call, but beware, they will re-price in order to add the discount.

Well I am sure I entered it but its not on the invoice. I was going to call anyway. When I made the reservation I wasn't sure how I was going to get back, I have since booked a return for a B2B so I want to get in the same stateroom both directions.

Remember when the talk was about the fuel charge Royal may or may not apply to the fare back in the day😂 Learned a lot about how Royal buys their fuel. FYI- got a single passenger fare on Monarch of the Seas "SO cabin" back in 2010 for a grand total of $276. Happy Sailing!!!!

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

OH. EM. GEE. Yes.  I will always remember my 2007 Celebrity Royal Suite on a 7-night Alaska cruise for 2400 pp.  It's about 3x that price now. 😕

32 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Well I am sure I entered it but its not on the invoice. I was going to call anyway. When I made the reservation I wasn't sure how I was going to get back, I have since booked a return for a B2B so I want to get in the same stateroom both directions.

It also could be that Royal had their special "deprecate C&A perks" pricing and it was was not combinable.  All they have to do is deem that the price includes an "instant discount" and C&A balcony discount is not combinable. 

Not RCI but I remember in November 2008 we did a Western Med cruise on NCL. We originally booked a balcony room; prices plummeted so hard we were able to get a 2 bedroom Haven Villa for about $1100 each. It was such a ridiculous steal; I have really fond memories of that cruise. There's no way we could get a deal like that ever again. And to add to it we got round trip air from JFK to BCN for $269 each.

In 2010 we got a JS on Oasis for $600pp. Then later in the year we got Disney Magic in a balcony for $750 for 2. Both 7 night.

The cruise industry is not at all recession proof. Every CEO claims their industry is, but travel always takes a big hit.

5 hours ago, tomservo said:

image.png.f1e2fc293b794a15fa4bd9a752c69ff0.png

Some travel agents may still have group space available on that Nov. 2020 cruise.  The $1126 is the total price for 2 including taxes with with a balcony discount.  It’s for the Nov.15th cruise.

In August, 2008, we booked a 7 day, Alaska inside passage cruise on Golden Princess. We got a mini-suite with large balcony for under $1,099 per person. A steal. It wasn't only the cruise industry that was hit by the downturn. We flew from BWI to Seattle (Jet Blue non-stop there; Delta one-stop return) for $188 round trip per person, tax, tag, and freight.