Is it worth taking a cruise in January?

Katelynw98

I am looking to book a cruise to Cozumel the second week in January through Carnival, and I just want to make sure that cruising in January is a good idea.  Is it going to be too cold to even enjoy the cruise?  I know that it is much cheaper in January rather than going in the summer, so that is mainly the reason why we would be able to go. I just don't want to book it and us not being able to enjoy it due to cold weather.  Sailing from New Orleans!

P.S. I am not a fan of really hot weather so I can deal with cool weather, but not freezing cold!

Edited by Katelynw98

2 minutes ago, Katelynw98 said:

I am looking to book a cruise to Cozumel the second week in January through Carnival, and I just want to make sure that cruising in January is a good idea.  Is it going to be too cold to even enjoy the cruise?  I know that it is much cheaper in January rather than going in the summer, so that is mainly the reason why we would be able to go. I just don't want to book it and us not being able to enjoy it due to cold weather.  

P.S. I am not a fan of really hot weather so I can deal with cool weather, but not freezing cold!

Not sure where you are sailing from, but January can be a great month in Cozumel.

• Like 2

You are sailing to the tropics so it will be warm if not hot.  Go to weather.com and type in Cozumel and you can get the average temperature for that time of the year.

You will be going in the "busy" time of the year for that area. People looking to escape the cold. Last time we were in Cozumel in February there were eight ships in port. 

I love cruising during January (you can see my next cruise is in January). There aren't a lot of younger kids onboard, the prices are cheaper, and the islands and attractions are in full swing because it's in season. It's always just so nice to get away from the cold. It will be warm in Cozumel, definitely warm enough to go and enjoy a nice day at the beach or on a boat. I say book the cruise and get some time away!

It is SO worth it!  I always cruise in January or February.  I just make sure to try and get to the port a day or two ahead.  Twice, because of weather, I had to fly in the morning of the cruise despite having booked flights to arrive the day before.  For my cruise that leaves on Feb. 1, I want to fly in two days ahead.  I also now drive to the airport that can get me a direct flight to the port city--every layover and plane switch is another potential winter weather delay.

• Like 1

I did that cruise last February after years of being weary of winter vacations after a trip to Key West was freezing one year.

New Orleans wasn't as warm as I wanted it to be. However, that's not really much of the allure of the city, plus it was way warmed than my home town. Went to Montego, Cayman, and Cozumel. You never would have known it was winter. Plus, like others said, less kids, and great prices. Hard to go wrong

44 minutes ago, naxer said:

It is SO worth it!  I always cruise in January or February.  I just make sure to try and get to the port a day or two ahead.  Twice, because of weather, I had to fly in the morning of the cruise despite having booked flights to arrive the day before.  For my cruise that leaves on Feb. 1, I want to fly in two days ahead.  I also now drive to the airport that can get me a direct flight to the port city--every layover and plane switch is another potential winter weather delay.

This is good advice.  Cruising in January is very nice, but be prepared for weather affecting flights.  Last year, we had a flight delay that almost made us miss our cruise.  However, since I was flying in a day early, I was able to schedule the last flight out in my layover city on another airline and make it to the port city that night.  I would have missed the cruise had I tried to fly out the day of the cruise because Delta couldn't get me there until after 4:00 pm the following day.

Out of 50 cruises to the Caribbean, Central America, and northern South America since the 1990's there has been only one cruise we took when the weather was chilly the whole week and the water was cold in Half Moon Cay. The first evening the ship's store sold out of sweatshirts. It was cold in Key West, too. That was our one and only time sailing out of Charleston, all the rest have been out of Florida. We sail year around and believe me, it's hot in the Caribbean in January. Great time to cruise because it's usually cheaper and many fewer kids. Glad the OP booked it - have a great time!

Both of our first two cruises have been in January out of New Orleans.  We have a cruise booked for Jan 2020 out of Ft. Lauderdale.  Thankfully no weather related flight delays. 

So far the weather has been decently warm in New Orleans, 40s or 50s.  The weather in the Caribbean has been warm, usually in the 80s.  We have experienced a couple of short rain showers, and one heavy downpour that lasted about 20 minutes, but nothing that would ruin a whole day.  I was actually riding the water slides on a port day in Cozumel when the downpour hit, so it really didn't affect me at all!

We have only cruised in January, so I can't compare to cruising at other times of the year, but I think it's great.  Go for it!

The post holiday season time is a great time to cruise.  It's a nice way to have something to look forward to after the holidays and when we're getting to the boring part of winter at home.  Prices are somewhat lower.  Kids are mostly in school so the ships are less crowded.  And flip flop tan lines can last until it's warm at home :-) 

The weather maaay be a concern if you are coming from Florida or a warm weather state and don't swim until the water is really warm.  But if you are coming from  a state with a cold winter, it'll feel great 

We cruise in the winter every year, usually Jan. Being from Ohio, it breaks up the long winter, prices are cheaper, and the kids are in school instead of on the boat. That said, there's a few things to keep in mind. First, Bahamas are NOT in the Caribbean. I've been to Bahamas in the winter when it was in the 40s. Caribbean doesn't care what season it is, weather is great year round. If you're sailing from east coast, I wouldn't sail from any ports north of Canaveral and even it can be cool first/last days of the cruise. Same from west coast, if you sail outta Long Bch in Jan, first/last day can be cool.

12 hours ago, Katelynw98 said:

I am looking to book a cruise to Cozumel the second week in January through Carnival, and I just want to make sure that cruising in January is a good idea.  Is it going to be too cold to even enjoy the cruise?  I know that it is much cheaper in January rather than going in the summer, so that is mainly the reason why we would be able to go. I just don't want to book it and us not being able to enjoy it due to cold weather.  Sailing from New Orleans!

We spend 2 weeks in Cozumel every January.  Its beautiful weather 

1 hour ago, CRocks said:

We cruise in the winter every year, usually Jan. Being from Ohio, it breaks up the long winter, prices are cheaper, and the kids are in school instead of on the boat. That said, there's a few things to keep in mind. First, Bahamas are NOT in the Caribbean. I've been to Bahamas in the winter when it was in the 40s.

The average high in Nassau (most frequently visited port in the Bahamas by Carnival) for January and February is 79 degrees. That is warm enough for me, and I live in Florida. That will likely be plenty warm enough for someone who lives up North. As for the temps in the 40s, that happens in Florida too, but it is the exception, not the norm. 

The last cruise we took to Cozumel was in January out of New Orleans...   It was frickin COLD in NO, (Like winter jacket cold) and we had our doubts....  One day into the Gulf and it was gorgeous.  Warm and anything BUT winter.   Our return was the same.  Warm to cool to freezing cold fog as we wandered up the channel to NO.   

PS:   If they are still doing it, try the "Cozumel Bar Hop"  (Google it) ..... It takes you to the uninhabited far side of the island, and is really a nice change from "tourist city" (Especially if there are 3-4 ships in port)