Is it worth taking a cruise in January?

Katelynw98

I've sailed from NYC solo in January, and to make up for the 1st and last sea day being cool, I opted for 10 and 14 day cruises.  That way, I got at least a week worth of tropical warmth instead of just 3 or 4 days from a week long sailing.

Now that I live inSW  Florida, I'll be adjusting my cruising schedule - there's no winter to escape from in January and February.  Unless I had a winter cruise booked, my only rationale to cruise in Jan/Feb is to escape the traffic all those snow birds cause.

Edited by evandbob

It's a great time. A lot of people go on Caribbean cruises in the winter to escape the cold up north. The Caribbean is warm all the time. Depending on where the departure port is, you could still be cold as you leave, of course.

Early January (but not including New Year's) is one of the slowest times in the industry, if not the slowest, because no one wants to travel right after Christmas and New Year's, so you're likely to find really good deals. (This was why the Star Trek cruises were scheduled then--although they've moved to March--because it's so much easier to charter a ship when demand is low.)

The risk to winter cruises is winter weather interrupting your travel plans--like snow and ice storms shutting down airports and delaying flights.

16 hours ago, Katelynw98 said:

I am looking to book a cruise to Cozumel the second week in January through Carnival, and I just want to make sure that cruising in January is a good idea.  Is it going to be too cold to even enjoy the cruise?  I know that it is much cheaper in January rather than going in the summer, so that is mainly the reason why we would be able to go. I just don't want to book it and us not being able to enjoy it due to cold weather.  Sailing from New Orleans!

P.S. I am not a fan of really hot weather so I can deal with cool weather, but not freezing cold!

It may be cold in New Orleans when you leave, but once to you get to Cozumel the temperature will be just fine.  It'll probably be in the 80's.

• 4 weeks later...

We did a January cruise a few years ago and would so it again.. Rates ARE significantly lower. The weather will be great in the Western Carribean that  time of year -  warm, not hot.  If it's one of those rare days where New Orleans is cold, just wear a jacket to port and stow it before you board. Since you won't have air travel l involved, I'd say go for it. (That's the biggest problem with January cruises - weather related flight delays. )

If you're going south of where you live...that's GREAT!  If you're headed north...not so much!  But, it depends what you're expecting from your trip!  If you want HOT weather, leave from a warm port, like Florida or Puerto Rico....don't leave from NY  or it's gonna waste at least 2-3 days of your trip in cold weather!

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

If you're going south of where you live...that's GREAT!  If you're headed north...not so much!  But, it depends what you're expecting from your trip!  If you want HOT weather, leave from a warm port, like Florida or Puerto Rico....don't leave from NY  or it's gonna waste at least 2-3 days of your trip in cold weather!

Well their signiture indicates the OP lives in MS and are planing to cruise to Cozumel, so fairly certain the first concern of south v north is a given.  They indicate that they will be sailing out of New Orleans, so no concerns with a NY departure either.  They also say that they aren't fans of really hot weather.

Really, cb, it would help if you at least read the OP's post before adding your comments......😕

Edited by leaveitallbehind

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, Katelynw98 said:

Thank y’all so much! Just booked it! So excited!

Me and my friend are going in January too!  Its my first time and her second.  Looking forward to fun, and a nice getwawy 🙂

Hope you have lots of fun!  

On 9/14/2019 at 8:38 PM, cb at sea said:

Having sailed from New York in January several times, I have enjoyed the transition to warm weather without having to fly.  By afternoon on the first day - less than 24 hours- you are in the 70 degree waters of the Gulf Stream - not tropical, but certainly not a waste of trip in cold weather.  The last full day coming back is chilly - but hardly a “waste” —- which is how I would describe having to spend a full day each way getting to/from airports, going through boarding process, sitting in cramped airplane seat, and spending the money to go through that abuse.