Cruise Critic Community
LuluNOLA

Overnight in Kyoto while overnighting in Kobe?

This celebrity millennium will be overnighting in Kobe. I want to stay the night in Kyoto not just go and visit and come back to the ship.   I want to know how easy that is to do and if anyone has done it? And if you stayed in the old section of Kyoto what hotel did you stay in? Were you nervous getting back the next day? How much was a train ticket? That kind of stuff. Thank you! 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, LuluNOLA said:

This celebrity millennium will be overnighting in Kobe. I want to stay the night in Kyoto not just go and visit and come back to the ship.   I want to know how easy that is to do and if anyone has done it? And if you stayed in the old section of Kyoto what hotel did you stay in? Were you nervous getting back the next day? How much was a train ticket? That kind of stuff. Thank you! 

It is easy to do it. You can take the train to Kyoto and back. The price of the train ticket depends on which train service you decide to take. For instance, the Shinkansen Nozomi will cost more compared to a non-bullet train fare. You can find fare details here [link].

We've done overnights in Beijing and Bangkok in different cruises. We had no concerns returning the following day to the ship. Do you have any concern in particular?

Edited by tjunmin

You may want to post your question on the Ports of Call board for Japan.  You can reach cruisers from cruise lines other than Celebrity and gather more info.

27 minutes ago, LuluNOLA said:

Yes, we also had the overnight on the Millenium in Kobe and enjoyed 1.5 days in Kyoto. Stayed at the ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel adjacent to the Nijo Castle. Chose it since they have non-smoking rooms, was centrally located and was very close to a subway station.

The train system in Japan is excellent. We initially used it pre-cruise to get from Narita to Yokohama. You can purchase pre-paid Suica smart cards - to use for your train fares - near the train station at Narita. It is much more convenient to merely tap your cards at the train gate than to have to purchase individual tickets - and the fare card works for both inter-city trains and the transit systems in both Kobe and Kyoto. If necessary, you can add funds to the Suica card at any train station or even at some pharmacies/convenience stores

There is an automated transit system (Kobe Port Liner) to take you from the port terminal in Kobe to the train station in Kobe, where you transfer to a train from Kobe to Kyoto. You then have your choice of taxis, subways or busses to get you around in Kyoto. The rail trip from the Kobe port terminal to Kyoto Station is about 70 minutes and costs only about 1300 JPY pp one way (equivalent to about 13 USD.) And reservations are not required. Here is a great website to search for train service (schedules and fares):

http://www.hyperdia.com

Enter Port Terminal in the from box and Kyoto in the to box - along with your date and approximate time - then click on search. The Kobe Port Liner takes you from the Port Terminal to the Sanno Miya Port Liner Station where you transfer (short walk) to the adjacent Sanno Miya JR Station. The best connection from Kobe's Sanno Miya JR Station to Kyoto is a JR Special Rapid Service train without any change of trains and only about 5 intermediate stops (including the main train station in Osaka.)

Note: the bullet train between Kobe and Kyoto leaves from a different station in Kobe and it takes longer to get from the port to that station (requires an additional subway train ride) - thus the total time from the port to Kyoto is about the same or longer (depending on the bullet train schedule) but the fare is about three times as expensive.

We had no worries about our return since rail travel in Japan is very reliable and almost always on time (a 5 minute delay is considered a tragedy!) We left Kyoto around 5:00, got to the ship before 6:30 - in time for dinner - and the ship was not scheduled to depart until around 8:00. Just be prepared by knowing what train you intend to take out of Kyoto (time and departure track) and check out where that track is when you first arrive in Kyoto so that you don't get lost and miss the train. (If you tend to be concerned, then also get info on the next available train as a backup plan.)

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time in Kyoto!

Larry

PS I thought I had planned the loading of the Suico cards well so that we would use up all but a few yen at the completion of our trip - but I miscalculated and had to add a couple of yen to the cards before it would allow us to exit from the Port Terminal Station! Took us about 5 minutes to figure out how to do it - so don't play it as close as I did.

7 hours ago, LuluNOLA said:

I strongly recommend doing Kyoto pre-cruise.  We did a three day tour from Tokyo that included Kyoto and Nara.  It was great.  We had two full days in Kyoto and half a day in Nara.  There are so many places to see in Kyoto.  Do some research to decide which ones that you want to see.

8 hours ago, LuluNOLA said:

I want to stay the night in Kyoto not just go and visit and come back to the ship.   I want to know how easy that is to do and if anyone has done it? 

It is easy and can be done. However, we still preferred the comfortable way of a private tour incl. transfer. Getting the knowledge of a good guide was an essential part of the experience. Plus we did one day Kobe and one day Osaka.

You can read about our Japan trips here: 

Celebrity Millennium

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

HAL Westerdam

Hi,

We took the high speed train during our overnight in Kobe 3 years ago. Stayed at the RitzCarlton(using point) which was  an amazing experience. The hotel booked a tour for us for the 2nd day with the most fascinating guide we've ever been lucky enough to have.

Last year we went to Osaka during 1 of our days and there was tons to do & see that we enjoyed. However 10/20 we'll be on a 10/11/20 cruise that only has one day & no overnight in Kobe and plan to go back to Kyoto.

Hope your trip is as wonderful as ours were!

We took the bullet train from Kobe to Kyoto, spent the night, and then returned the following midday on a cruise on Celebrity Millennium last November. 

We took a taxi from the ship to the rail station for the Shinkansen Nozomi (not the regular train station in Kobe) and the train itself -- the fastest in Japan -- is a fascinating experience.

In Kobe, we were met by an English-speaking guide we had booked for the afternoon and the following morning, and he was wonderful.

That night, we dined at Itoh Dining by Nobu -- an unpretentious restaurant in a traditional Japanese townhouse in the geisha section of Kyoto where we had an excellent dinner.  Recommended.

We stayed overnight at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto -- not one of the world's great hotel but we got an okay price.  Would look for a different hotel on another visit.  Not recommended.

The following day, we returned to the train station and took the bullet train back to the ship.

Overall, a fascinating visit to a fascinating city -- and the logistics were no fuss, no muss.  Highly recommended.

20 hours ago, LuluNOLA said:

You need to advise the guest relations that you are spending the night away from the ship.

Hi LuluNOLA, if you want to stay in Kyoto and are looking for a traditional experience have you thought about staying at a Ryokan? We stayed at the Ikomatsu Ryokan (http://www.ikumatsu.com) and had a wonderful experience. You are able to take a traditional japanese dinner on the terrace (yuka) overlooking the Kamagawa river, which is very nice. It is easy and safe to walk around Gion district at night.

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 7:29 PM, ozark74 said:

You need to advise the guest relations that you are spending the night away from the ship.

Not true.

We took a B2B on the Millennium from Yokohama to Hong Kong to Singapore and stayed overnight in Kyoto and on a Junk in Halong Bay.  When we started to talk to Guest Services about the off-ship overnights, they told us that it was none of their concern - that we could go anywhere overnight without informing them and that of course it was are sole responsibility to be back on ship before the all-aboard time.

However, since the ship was arranging Vietnam visas for passengers, we did need to tell them we were staying overnight in Vietnam because there is a different cost for the visas if you stay overnight - other than the visa requirement they had no interest in our overnight stay.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser