Cruise Critic Community
little britain

South Africa itineraries?

In U.K. agents are being advised that “Pre reg is now OPEN for Countdown to South Africa part 2. Agents will simply need to log into Club Rewards, accept the T&Cs and be ready to play the game before game goes fully live 27th August. Get your points in early 🙂

Is this a clue as to new markets opening for RCI?   

It would be a new market for RC.  I cannot recall them even making a port stop there.

That sounds promising, it would be somewhere we would be very interested in.

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Royal doesn't do South America either.

They do have some history there.  I recall a Vision class ship being based there for several seasons.  They have also done around the horn with other ships, like Mariner.

Azamara does both South America and Africa.  Celebrity does S. America.

On 8/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, Host Clarea said:

They do have some history there.  I recall a Vision class ship being based there for several seasons.  They have also done around the horn with other ships, like Mariner.

It was Splendour. We did a trans-Atlantic from Lisbon to Brazil in December 2007. Fabulous cruise. The ship stayed on for the season, mostly catering to the local market doing so-called immersive itineraries. SIL and BIL did it again a couple of years later before it was discontinued. 

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

It was Splendour. We did a trans-Atlantic from Lisbon to Brazil in December 2007. Fabulous cruise. The ship stayed on for the season, mostly catering to the local market doing so-called immersive itineraries. SIL and BIL did it again a couple of years later before it was discontinued. 

Thank-you for the update, we never got the chance to sail on Splendour.

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Thank-you for the update, we never got the chance to sail on Splendour.

Sailed her twice. Our very first cruise was on Splendour, a repo from Barcelona to Lisbon in November 2001 that we almost didn't make because DH got food poisoning a week before we were due to travel. We had to make special arrangements to join the ship on day 3 in Malaga, which luckily is driving distance for us.

23 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I think Splendour's last year in Brazil was 2015/2016. We did the TA, Santos to Barcelona in 2015, it was my favourite RCI cruise to date. Mostly Brazilian passengers and a fabulous crew, I wish they would bring back those itineraries.

11 minutes ago, kernow said:

I think Splendour's last year in Brazil was 2015/2016. We did the TA, Santos to Barcelona in 2015, it was my favourite RCI cruise to date. Mostly Brazilian passengers and a fabulous crew, I wish they would bring back those itineraries.

Agree; such an upbeat atmosphere on board. The Brazilians really know how to have fun and the CD was excellent. 

We would have loved to do it again, and SIL and BIL wanted to do it a third time but it had been discontinued by then. :classic_sad:

Posted (edited)

The demand for South America cruises seems to be there but one of the reasons RCCL has pulled out is the requirement that when the ship is based in Brazil, at least 30% of the Staff must be locals

Edited by LXA350

NCL does South America and just started a few long cruises to South Africa.  Would love to do the Indian Ocean islands and South Africa on RCI.

I also did a transatlantic on Splendour in December 2014 (Barcelona to Santos). In 2017 I sailed around South America (from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires and Santos) on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Two of my most favourite cruises :-)

I would like to do it again on a RCL ship. My say do it again some day...

Where MSC lead.....  From December 2020 MSC Opera will homeport in Cape Town, joining MSC Musica – which will be based in Durban as of November.  New world-class Durban Cruise Terminal expected to be operational by January 2021

When flights to SA are more than the cruise itself, RCI may decide they just can't get enough customers to pony up profitable cruise rates higher than elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

When flights to SA are more than the cruise itself, RCI may decide they just can't get enough customers to pony up profitable cruise rates higher than elsewhere.

Random date next January LGW via DXB to Durban with EK £508pp return.... not bad...??

MSC obviously feel there is mileage in it and as mentioned before Azamara are already there from Nov 2020  (but very dull itineraries and far too expensive for me sadly)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, little britain said:

Random date next January LGW via DXB to Durban with EK £508pp return.... not bad...??

I assume RCI would count on a healthy amount of NA customers, very unlikely you'd get prices like that from NA. But if they need to park Empress and/or Majesty somewhere, maybe the math would work on those smaller ships - kinda like Empress out of Montreal.

Edited by Biker19

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I assume RCI would count on a healthy amount of NA customers, very unlikely you'd get prices like that from NA. But if they need to park Empress and/or Majesty somewhere, maybe the math would work on those smaller ships - kinda like Empress out of Montreal.

Certainly Opera and Musica are 2 of MSCs oldest ships so I get your way of thinking...!

I think lots of Europeans wouldn't mind the flights, also they will probably get locals on the ships. When we've done the Middle East cruises there are very few Americans and yet the ships are full.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You know there are many other nationalities who cruise, other than those from the US. We sailed from Venice to Durban on MSC last year - great itinerary, through the Suez Canal and via Seychelles and Mauritius. For that journey there were only 2 Americans onboard (we struck up a friendship with them). There were lots of people from various countries in Europe and many South Africans. The cruises from Durban attract a lot of South Africans - as well as Europeans for whom the flights are not as expensive as they are for people from the US - and who like to explore different places other than the same old same old which RC offers

I would welcome the opportunity to sail in that part of the world, particularly if they come up with some interesting itineraries, although wouldn't be interested on a small old ship.

Edited by Bobal

5 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I would welcome the opportunity to sail in that part of the world, particularly if they come up with some interesting itineraries, although wouldn't be interested on a small old ship.

There's the issue, other itineraries are more profitable to RCI on the bigger ships. Empress and maybe Majesty are the main ones looking for a home now that Cuba is off the table.