Ketchikan - Hurt Ankle

Hi All,

My DH and I were planning on doing a self-guided walking tour of Ketchikan, but I've recently sprained my ankle so we are looking into other options.  We have spent quite a bit of money to do stuff in other ports, so we were hoping to spend a little less in this port.  I'm really interested in seeing the salmon ladder and/or wild animals.  Does anyone have any suggestions of a tour that we could take that might be a little less walking and preferably under $100PP?

Edited by melnemac32

What about taking the free 'Salmon Run' shuttle bus around town? Gets you out to the Totem Heritage Center, the salmon hatchery is just at the back of this to learn some info about them. The salmon ladder is a bit of a walk from there - I think the closest stop is at the museum. You should see a lot of eagles along the river (we were there before the salmon this year and there were still quite a few of them around even without dinner conveniently swimming along below them).

You might look in to the Ketchikan taxi tours.    We did that a few years ago and they were about 75.00 pp for about 4 hours.  They have "usual places" but will also customize the drive to what you want to do and see.    We loved it.   

Hope you heal quickly -  that's not a fun way to start a trip.

Depending on where your ship is the Deadliest Catch tour requires almost no walking and has great wildlife viewing. You go out on an old crab boat remodeled for tours. Be ready with your cameras straight off right side when they feed the eagles. You can check you tube for what it is like. When we went couple years ago it was around hundred bucks. Just checked and it is $199 so never mind.  All my other ideas involve lots of walking. sightcrr

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

It's kitschy, but there's a Duck boat tour in Ketchikan that would show you around the town and the harbor for about 90 minutes and run you just arounBut it might be toughd $30pp with no walking.

It could be tough getting in and out of Duck with bad ankle.  SO, check this out first.

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

It could be tough getting in and out of Duck with bad ankle.  SO, check this out first.

We watched them board someone that couldn't walk at all, then stow their wheelchair.  They can probably get it done.

We walked off the ship into the visitor's center and found Dolly's Enterprises...I think that's the name. It was a two hour van tour and the driver was great. Stopped at salmon ladder and totem museum for a quick five minute look. Went out to a water fall, and to a viewing area where we saw a bear. It was about $75 pp but they reduced the price because it was raining. 15 minutes later, it turned into a beautiful day.