Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cruznkate

Royal Caribbean newbie question: Grand Mariner

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi there! We just booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise and I’m very excited!! It will be me, my husband, and my two sons in a Grand Suite. My mom and step dad booked an ocean view room. My question is this...if our bookings are “linked”, can my parents sit with us at shows, restaurants, etc that have suite perks or will we have to split up (or I sacrifice the perks)? As an alternative, would buying The Key for my parents alleviate this issue? Thanks in advance for any help for what I’m sure is a dumb question. 

Edited by cruznkate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruznkate said:

Hi there! We just booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise and I’m very excited!! It will be me, my husband, and my two sons in a Grand Suite. My mom and step dad booked an ocean view room. My question is this...if our bookings are “linked”, can my parents sit with us at shows, restaurants, etc that have suite perks or will we have to split up (or I sacrifice the perks)? As an alternative, would buying The Key for my parents alleviate this issue? Thanks in advance for any help for what I’m sure is a dumb question. 

No, they can't. There are much better seats to be had anyway than the ones set aside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No suite perks for your parents even if your reservations are linked.  When boarding your parents can probably check-in with you at the suite line without any problem.  If your parents purchase the KEY, they will have access to the reserved suite seating for shows.  But the suite lounge and suite restaurants (if your ship has a Coastal Kitchen) are only available to those staying in a full suite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From looking at other posts on this question in the past I don't think your Suite Perks transfer to a non suite room on the same booking.  I hope someone has better news.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linking reservations is only for MDR seating, nothing else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

... There are much better seats to be had anyway than the ones set aside

 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dplusd said:

No suite perks for your parents even if your reservations are linked.  When boarding your parents can probably check-in with you at the suite line without any problem.  If your parents purchase the KEY, they will have access to the reserved suite seating for shows.  But the suite lounge and suite restaurants (if your ship has a Coastal Kitchen) are only available to those staying in a full suite.

 

The Mariner does not have Coastal Kitchen.  CK is only on Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony, Anthem and Ovation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Not a dumb question at all, in fact one that gets asked frequently.   Only suite passengers (and pinnacle members,) have access to the suite lounge  and benefits. 

 

Key might not help as  on some ships the key reserved seats are in slightly different rows from the suite/pinnacle reserved seats. 

 

 I agree with Bob about seats.   In most venues, we prefer open seating to what is reserved for suites. 

 

 If you want to have an evening cocktail with your parents, you can use your vouchers and join them at any bar around the ship. You can also use your vouchers at dinner. 

 

Enjoy

m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

The Mariner does not have Coastal Kitchen.  CK is only on Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony, Anthem and Ovation.

 

No CK on Spectrum or Quantum?

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless someone is booked IN a suite, they do not get any of the suite perks, even if you're traveling together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 

 If you want to have an evening cocktail with your parents, you can use your vouchers and join them at any bar around the ship. You can also use your vouchers at dinner. 

 

 

Vouchers are for Diamond and above, not for people in suites who do not have that status. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A consideration only, I wouldn't pay for the KEY just to get into the shows.  You won't have any problem sitting together and as stated, the reserve seat section is not necessarily the best seat selection.  If your parents want all the other KEY benefits, fine, but I wouldn't spend the money.  

The Suite Lounge on Mariner appears to be next to the Jazz Club and Viking Crown Lounge.  Your parents can simply go there and buy a drink and you should be able to get a drink in the Suite Lounge and go sit with them.  

"will we have to split up (or I sacrifice the perks)?"  Yes.  Example, if you go to Labadee, there is a separate Suite only Beach.  You either split up or don't use it.  Same with the Suite only Sundeck, etc.  

Edited by papaflamingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 If you want to have an evening cocktail with your parents, you can use your vouchers and join them at any bar around the ship. You can also use your vouchers at dinner. 

 

Enjoy

m

 

What vouchers???????

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gerif said:

Vouchers are for Diamond and above, not for people in suites who do not have that status. 

 Yikes,  I completely missed that. Thanks for catching. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SRF said:

 

What vouchers???????

 

 

  My mistake, sorry.  Drink vouchers are provided to upper tier passengers to be used at the bars or the dining room. 

 

 If you were a newer cruiser, in a suite, this benefit would not be provided to you. 

 

I’m  sure you will get it worked out, and have a lovely cruise. One good suggestion was to get your drink in the suite lounge and then take it over to the Viking lounge and be able to sit with your family. 

 

Enjoy. 

M

 

ps- you can disregard comments about coastal kitchen (CK)  and Labadee as the mariner does not have a CK and does not generally stop at Labadee. 

 

 Have a great cruise 

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

No CK on Spectrum or Quantum?

Quantum, yes.  Spectrum, no.  🙂  (Quantum has a somewhat modified-for-the-Asian-market menu)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP here. Just wanted to say thank you to all who responded. I really appreciate the input and advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gerif said:

Vouchers are for Diamond and above, not for people in suites who do not have that status. 

 

Empress uses vouchers for the suites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Empress uses vouchers for the suites

Thanks. Never been on Empress. They don’t have a lounge, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gerif said:

Thanks. Never been on Empress. They don’t have a lounge, right?

 

Correct. I just learned of it a few weeks ago. Makes sense.

They should probably do it for the other ships, especially the ones with over crowded SL's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 12:51 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

  My mistake, sorry.  Drink vouchers are provided to upper tier passengers to be used at the bars or the dining room. 

 

 If you were a newer cruiser, in a suite, this benefit would not be provided to you. 

 

I’m  sure you will get it worked out, and have a lovely cruise. One good suggestion was to get your drink in the suite lounge and then take it over to the Viking lounge and be able to sit with your family. 

 

Enjoy. 

M

 

ps- you can disregard comments about coastal kitchen (CK)  and Labadee as the mariner does not have a CK and does not generally stop at Labadee. 

 

 Have a great cruise 

 

I know all this.  This is why I was asking YOU. 😄

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...