Anyone know why NCL pulled their ships from St Marteen?

crazyboutdisney

We are on a TA  (Epic) in November from Barcelona to SanJuan.   Received notice from NCL of a port change at the end of July.  We would not be stopping in St. Maarten but would now be stopping at Tortola.   No reason given as to why.

8 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

No reason was given but the speculation was either Port contracts ending or construction or something similar.  My January 2020 cruise also changed. 

I was wondering if it was related to the hurricane they had a few years back. I haven’t followed at all so I wasn’t sure how much repair has been done. We really want to do this itinerary out of San Juan. We did it several years ago and loved it.  Considered another cruiseline but maybe just too soon to go back?? Maybe we should wait a few more years 

16 minutes ago, crazyboutdisney said:

I was wondering if it was related to the hurricane they had a few years back. I haven’t followed at all so I wasn’t sure how much repair has been done. We really want to do this itinerary out of San Juan. We did it several years ago and loved it.  Considered another cruiseline but maybe just too soon to go back?? Maybe we should wait a few more years 

I don't think the hurricane a few years ago has anything to do with it.  We were there twice last year on cruises and loved the beach more than before the hurricane.  Some stores rebuilt and some did not.  Can't wait to go back this year.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, crazyboutdisney said:

I doubt it would have anything to do with the 2 yr old hurricane even though the island was pretty badly hit. Who knows and I bet none of us will even know. 

• Like 1

This is my main gripe with NCL over the past few years. They make arbitrary changes to itineraries, and provide no explanation for those changes. Not only do they not tell their guests, but they don't inform their staff of the reasoning either, so everyone is in the dark.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I don't think the hurricane a few years ago has anything to do with it.  We were there twice last year on cruises and loved the beach more than before the hurricane.  Some stores rebuilt and some did not.  Can't wait to go back this year.

I'd agree.  Was there in June.  The French side was much slower in repair but nothing keeping ships from going there.

57 minutes ago, calmpets said:

This is my main gripe with NCL over the past few years. They make arbitrary changes to itineraries, and provide no explanation for those changes. Not only do they not tell their guests, but they don't inform their staff of the reasoning either, so everyone is in the dark.

Shhh, don't say that too loudly.  I made the same observation in a different thread recently and was told in no uncertain terms that my observation was not accurate.  Maybe so, but there sure do seem to be more and more reports about random itinerary changes, port changes, and cruise length shortenings...just my observation. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 5

Item 6.C of the Guest Ticket Contract:

”(c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the movements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vessels in all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including, without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at any unscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised port; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so; substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.”

The problem here is not that NCL is changing itineraries any more or less than any other cruise line despite the fact that it would only seem so because passengers started to share common stories.

The problem here is that too many people sign on to a cruise without actually reading the contract.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

Item 6.C of the Guest Ticket Contract:

”(c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the movements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vessels in all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including, without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at any unscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised port; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so; substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.”

The problem here is not that NCL is changing itineraries any more or less than any other cruise line despite the fact that it would only seem so because passengers started to share common stories.

The problem here is that too many people sign on to a cruise without actually reading the contract.

I'm in no way disputing that the contract allows them to make random changes whenever they feel like it. And when it's for weather, or unrest, or other legitimate/obvious reasons, the vast majority of people seem to have no problem with it. While it's not required for them to provide an explanation, it's incredibly poor customer service to just say "We aren't going to St Maarten. The reasons are secret. Deal with it."

It's also downright sketchy to schedule and confirm itineraries that they have no intention of sailing. Sound unlikely? I'll give you an example. For over a year I was booked on a cruise that had a stop at Harvest Caye scheduled for both the Pearl and the Breakaway on the same day. Since NCL literally built Harvest Caye, it is not a leap to assume they are aware you can only dock one ship there at a time. About a month before final payment, they announced that due to a berthing conflict, we would be stopping at Belize City instead of Harvest Caye. Two weeks after that they said, just kidding, we're still stopping at Harvest Caye, but we've reordered the itinerary, cutting short the time in two of the four ports. Can they do that? Absolutely. Should they have sold the actual itineraries they would be sailing from the beginning? Also yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Looks like the last stop in Philipsburg, St. Maarten is early February.  Nothing offered after that.. seems strange.  

I have a couple of early 2021 cruises booked on the Gem that as of now still have a port call in St. Maarten.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, crazyboutdisney said:

We are booked on a cruise in March that was supposed to stop in St Marteen and St Kitts. They changed both ports and it seems this is the case of other sailings also. Anyone know why??

That is a bummer my family loves St. Martin.  

10 hours ago, calmpets said:

What difference does it make why?  I'll help you , none! 🙂

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Shhh, don't say that too loudly.  I made the same observation in a different thread recently and was told in no uncertain terms that my observation was not accurate.  Maybe so, but there sure do seem to be more and more reports about random itinerary changes, port changes, and cruise length shortenings...just my observation. 

I highly doubt that ANY port change on any cruise line is random.  Just because the reason a change is made is not disclosed does not mean it is random.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

I highly doubt that ANY port change on any cruise line is random.  Just because the reason a change is made is not disclosed does not mean it is random.

Well, Birdie and Sue, I would agree that you are quite right.  However, to the unsuspecting traveler and without explanation, it can appear to be random even if it is not.   

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well, Birdie and Sue, I would agree that you are quite right.  However, to the unsuspecting traveler and without explanation, it can appear to be random even if it is not.   

How does one not knowing the reason for anything lead to that thing being random?  Do you seriously think that NCL or any other cruise line would have someone who sits around making changes to cruise itineraries for no reason other than wanting to make a change and then doing so with a spin of a wheel, a roll of a die, or by utilizing a random number generator of some sort?  It in no way appears random.  I am guessing that you do realize that changing itineraries cost a cruise line money.  I wonder why you would even slightly think that a cruise line would randomly change a cruise only to have to shell out the cost associated with doing so.  Perhaps you do not understand what the word random means or are just misusing it in this case.  I can assure tyou that no itinerary is random.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

How does one not knowing the reason for anything lead to that thing being random?  Do you seriously think that NCL or any other cruise line would have someone who sits around making changes to cruise itineraries for no reason other than wanting to make a change and then doing so with a spin of a wheel, a roll of a die, or by utilizing a random number generator of some sort?  It in no way appears random.  I am guessing that you do realize that changing itineraries cost a cruise line money.  I wonder why you would even slightly think that a cruise line would randomly change a cruise only to have to shell out the cost associated with doing so.  Perhaps you do not understand what the word random means or are just misusing it in this case.  I can assure tyou that no itinerary is random.

Oh brother. 

Deleted post. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just noticed on our itinerary for December on the Epic that Tortola has now replaced St. Maarten. Too bad as I was looking forward to St. Maarten. Received no notification. Just noticed on my itinerary when I logged in. 

Just a wild guess here, but I am guessing it probably has to do with some type of a contract. I do understand why the staff may not know the answer either. If, for any reason the cruise lines does not want to share the reason with the guests, they certainly would not be sharing it with the crew either. I have to add one more thing, I don't think the reason is all that important. the fact remains they are not stopping there!