Luggage forward vs former white star luggage

njpln

I wanted to post information for anyone else who wants to have their luggage forwarded related to a Cunard cruise.  

Last year we used the white star luggage service from Florida to Southampton and then from New York City back to Florida. While Cunard for the most part managed it very well, I found the paperwork to be a bit cumbersome (having to list each item in each case with a value)and it seemed a bit high in price for a maximum insured value of approx $1000.  But in the end I was happy to ship the larger luggage so my husband and I could travel with just carry-ons. 

This year we cruised home Florida to Southampton and since we live in Florida, we only needed the return luggage service from Southampton back home.   I was really surprised to see that Cunard had discontinued the white star luggage service and instructed passengers to use luggage forward. They also were not very helpful, other than directing you to the website, which is a free website on the ship Wi-Fi. 

It was really a nice  surprise to see how user-friendly Luggage Forward is.  The website is very clear.  I had a couple questions while I was putting together information, and I just did the online chat while I was doing the reservation, getting my questions answered right then.  Furthermore, you can choose how much insurance you want, by paying a minimal amount to raise the insurance by $500 increments, and the final price was significantly cheaper than Cunard.    At least 20 percent less for our luggage.  And best of all, you don’t have to do the itemized list.

We were able to print out all the paperwork on the computer in the ship’s library and the purser’s desk gave us the plastic envelopes used to attach them to your luggage  After we collected our luggage in the Southampton terminal, we  easily found the luggage forward representative with a couple of signs around him. It was easy. This was similar to the White Star service.   Both services used the same carrier, although  luggage forward did not tell me ahead of time who they would use. They told me they use any of these three- FedEx, UPS and DHL to the US, all of which are good. The luggage arrived home eight days after we got off the ship.  Not bad. 

Overall I highly recommend using luggage forward. I believe it was a bit less hassle than the white star and it was less costly which was a bonus!

😀

Norma

Edited by njpln
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, njpln said:

I wanted to post information for anyone else who wants to have their luggage forwarded related to a Cunard cruise.  

Overall I highly recommend using luggage forward. I believe it was a bit less hassle than the white star and it was less costly which was a bonus!

😀

Norma

This was helpful and informative. Thank you.

• Like 1

I have used Luggage Forward for shipping baggage to Europe from the US and they have been excellent.  Very much recommended.   My only complaint is that they over-estimate the amount of days it takes to get there (7-10?) and it usually arrives 3-4 days after departure.  Still, that's a small complaint.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:36 PM, njpln said:

Last year we used the white star luggage service from Florida to Southampton and then from New York City back to Florida. While Cunard for the most part managed it very well, I found the paperwork to be a bit cumbersome (having to list each item in each case with a value)and it seemed a bit high in price for a maximum insured value of approx $1000.  But in the end I was happy to ship the larger luggage so my husband and I could travel with just carry-ons. 

This year we cruised home Florida to Southampton and since we live in Florida, we only needed the return luggage service from Southampton back home.   I was really surprised to see that Cunard had discontinued the white star luggage service and instructed passengers to use luggage forward. They also were not very helpful, other than directing you to the website, which is a free website on the ship Wi-Fi. 

It was really a nice  surprise to see how user-friendly Luggage Forward is.  The website is very clear.  I had a couple questions while I was putting together information, and I just did the online chat while I was doing the reservation, getting my questions answered right then.  Furthermore, you can choose how much insurance you want, by paying a minimal amount to raise the insurance by $500 increments, and the final price was significantly cheaper than Cunard.    At least 20 percent less for our luggage.  And best of all, you don’t have to do the itemized list.

We were able to print out all the paperwork on the computer in the ship’s library and the purser’s desk gave us the plastic envelopes used to attach them to your luggage  After we collected our luggage in the Southampton terminal, we  easily found the luggage forward representative with a couple of signs around him. It was easy. This was similar to the White Star service.   Both services used the same carrier, although  luggage forward did not tell me ahead of time who they would use. They told me they use any of these three- FedEx, UPS and DHL to the US, all of which are good. The luggage arrived home eight days after we got off the ship.  Not bad. 

😀

Norma

O I think if you are a diamond Cunard member you should be getting a  10% discount on luggage forward

On 8/16/2019 at 7:36 PM, njpln said:

😀

Norma

Norma, thank you for this positive review. I have booked to use them to ship my big bag from Texas to Southampton for my voyages in September and return from NYC. 

At first contact they seemed competent, and it is great to hear that is reality too. 

• Like 1

We used the new service this past June to Vancouver and return, then New York and return—agreed that the website and customer service is very user friendly for a clueless baby boomer.

One difference was that the collector person was standing outside the terminal yesterday in Red Hook instead of one of the little bays in the corridor between customs and the outside.

He was very friendly and gracious enough to laugh at my story that missed the White Star person standing inside  with no sign the first time we tried it many years ago—-and the only person that had the power, after trying local police and US customs agents to get us and our bags back into the terminal was the Union boss, who was friendly and fun as we were waved though all the barriers!

Hi

I just disembarked the Queen Mary yesterday in Brooklyn following the ballet crossing which was fabulous and well received by the passengers.

It t was while I was on the crossing that I learned WHITE STAR LUGGAGE SERIVCE had been discontinued.   Was referred by the pursers desk to the internet center.   The able staff Veronica and Johann were very helpful setting up my Luggage forward account and arranging the service.

There is no more discount for Diamond passengers.  Nor can you use any shipboard credit to pay for it.  You must use your credit card to make payment.

Unlike in the past, the luggage man was not inside the terminal.   He was right outside the door but with no sign identifying him as the luggage representative.   A port employee pointed him out.   Luggage rep a very nice guy and very helpful.

I will be using this service again when I return from the 14 day October 4 Canada-New England cruise.  I am a bit disappointed that there is no more discount for Diamond members and now can't use SBC to pay for it.

I can report the crossing was great especially with the Ballet performances and associated programs.   Service was excellent and the food good to excellent.  Only glitch was last day when there was some sort of pod issue requiring the ship to come to a stop for about three hours while rectified.  

Be well.

Deck Chair

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hi

I just disembarked the Queen Mary yesterday in Brooklyn following the ballet crossing which was fabulous and well received by the passengers.

It t was while I was on the crossing that I learned WHITE STAR LUGGAGE SERIVCE had been discontinued.   Was referred by the pursers desk to the internet center.   The able staff Veronica and Johann were very helpful setting up my Luggage forward account and arranging the service.

There is no more discount for Diamond passengers.  Nor can you use any shipboard credit to pay for it.  You must use your credit card to make payment.

Unlike in the past, the luggage man was not inside the terminal.   He was right outside the door but with no sign identifying him as the luggage representative.   A port employee pointed him out.   Luggage rep a very nice guy and very helpful.

I will be using this service again when I return from the 14 day October 4 Canada-New England cruise.  I am a bit disappointed that there is no more discount for Diamond members and now can't use SBC to pay for it.

I can report the crossing was great especially with the Ballet performances and associated programs.   Service was excellent and the food good to excellent.  Only glitch was last day when there was some sort of pod issue requiring the ship to come to a stop for about three hours while rectified.  

Be well.

Deck Chair

Great information. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear good things about Luggage Forward.

I used the White Star service several times and was very happy with it (and my discount was nice). I think they discontinued it because of problems with DHL. Last fall, I wasn't able to ship a garment bag because it wasn't a hard-side suitcase. It's sturdy, stands up on its own like a suitcase (and was accepted at least 3 times before) but no, they wouldn't take a fabric-covered piece of luggage. I asked on board and the White Star rep said it should have been OK. So something was going on. Ironically, "Excess Baggage" shipped that same garment bag from London to Southampton and it was transported by DHL. 

I just finalized my booking for this September. To ship a 50lb. bag to Southampton and back from New York cost $484, with $3500 insurance. I seem to remember my last White Star expense for the same service was over $700. I hope the service is as good as the price. I will soon know.