Help me to choose! Cruise from Tampa or San Juan?

travellerin1984

Regarding transportation, unless you plan to sit by the pool or beach most of the time and not sightsee I highly recommend renting a car.  Most cities in the US just do not have good transportation options like Europe does.  In fact, none of them has quite as good options, and many have very few (Tampa being one of the latter).  Florida has Uber and Lyft, but that can get expensive if you want to sightsee.  I believe you are used to driving on the right?  That helps.  And roads are well-marked so getting lost is pretty unlikely.

The starting/ending location can be an important consideration for those who are prone to seasickness or just dislike cruising in rough waters.

We have family members who refuse to take Caribbean cruises from Florida or New York/New Jersey because of the likelihood of hitting rough waters along the Atlantic coast.

When starting and ending in San Juan, you cruise in much calmer waters.

But then you have the longer flights getting down there and back.

There are always trade-offs.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:35 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Regarding transportation, unless you plan to sit by the pool or beach most of the time and not sightsee I highly recommend renting a car.  Most cities in the US just do not have good transportation options like Europe does.  In fact, none of them has quite as good options, and many have very few (Tampa being one of the latter).  Florida has Uber and Lyft, but that can get expensive if you want to sightsee.  I believe you are used to driving on the right?  That helps.  And roads are well-marked so getting lost is pretty unlikely.

If you want to come in a few days before and want a once in a lifetime experience, rent a car.  Then, drive to Crystal River FL, about an hours drive away.  There, you can swim with the manatees who are out in droves in the winter.  Its an amazing experience.  We're going to do it again when we cruise out of Tampa. 

On 8/20/2019 at 1:23 AM, fleckle said:

The starting/ending location can be an important consideration for those who are prone to seasickness or just dislike cruising in rough waters.

We have family members who refuse to take Caribbean cruises from Florida or New York/New Jersey because of the likelihood of hitting rough waters along the Atlantic coast.

When starting and ending in San Juan, you cruise in much calmer waters.

But then you have the longer flights getting down there and back.

There are always trade-offs.

I agree the waters down south are generally more calm, but as I'm sure you know there are never any guarantees.  We had our worst waters ever in the Gulf of Mexico!  Seas 30+ feet.  If one takes a cruise from San Juan to the ABC's (don't think they are offering them right now), the crossover to the ABC's can be rocky.