Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BarbarianPaul

Four Star Mariner Benefits

Recommended Posts

We just made four star, and are trying to figure out some specifics regarding the benefits...particularly how much we need to pack for our next cruise. Is the “free laundry” unlimited?  Are we able to use the service as often as we want over the course of a cruise, or are we limited to a specific number of bags?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As many times as you want.  We often put a bag out the first night since we usually are traveling a few days prior to the cruise.  You can ask, if you need it, a second bag or put a bag out every day.  It’s the best perk for us!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are always travelling before we get on the ship, so sometimes we have given them a couple of bags the first night. No questions asked. Just remember to pack clothes that have been washed many times. Sometimes things come back as if they have been stone washed. After a couple of cruises, my blue jeans were paper thin. Not sure their washing process, but they do use hot water to do the laundry. With that being said, they iron even the handkerchiefs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After one bad experience (getting back whites in the color grey) we now send in our laundry - one day whites, the next day colors.  Works great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're cruising in a hot or humid area, the great thing is that you can come in from the day, shower and change for dinner, and send off just the one day's clothing for washing. An almost empty bag!
I find the less in the bag, the faster it seems to come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others here, I usually travel for at least a few days before my cruise, so I have laundry ready to send out the first night. I believe they say to allow 2 days, but it's usually faster. It may be a bit slow the first night, as the laundry is busy catching up with all the linens and robes that have to be washed after a turnaround day. Except for that I think I've always had my laundry back within 24 hours.

 

One comment. PLEASE, people, the laundry bag is NOT a tote bag. Seriously, I saw a woman walking around the ship with the laundry bag and using it as a tote bag.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

...

One comment. PLEASE, people, the laundry bag is NOT a tote bag. Seriously, I saw a woman walking around the ship with the laundry bag and using it as a tote bag.

 

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.  For newbies who may not be aware of HAL protocol for such things, where is the no-tote laundry bag rule posted? Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, avian777 said:

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.  For newbies who may not be aware of HAL protocol for such things, where is the no-tote laundry bag rule posted? Thanks again.

COMMON SENSE (For Dummies)      Available on Amazon ...   :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

After one bad experience (getting back whites in the color grey) we now send in our laundry - one day whites, the next day colors.  Works great.

We noticed the same thing.  You can send specific instructions as to how you want the clothes washed, i.e. cool water etc.  It helps.  Also, they will press items, such as evening gowns, for free.  I was surprised to learn this on our last Christmas cruise.  By the time I unpacked my gown, the skirt was wrinkled beyond repair, I thought.  I sent it to the laundry for steaming, thinking I'd have to pay for this service.  Nope.  Our steward was surprised I didn't know that this service was free for 4-5*.

 

As to what they press, DH's undershirts and boxers were ironed as well!  Folded with tissue paper and a HAL satin ribbon around the package.  I teased him that he shouldn't expect that level of service at home.  No way! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

We noticed the same thing.  You can send specific instructions as to how you want the clothes washed, i.e. cool water etc.  It helps.  Also, they will press items, such as evening gowns, for free.  I was surprised to learn this on our last Christmas cruise.  By the time I unpacked my gown, the skirt was wrinkled beyond repair, I thought.  I sent it to the laundry for steaming, thinking I'd have to pay for this service.  Nope.  Our steward was surprised I didn't know that this service was free for 4-5*.

 

As to what they press, DH's undershirts and boxers were ironed as well!  Folded with tissue paper and a HAL satin ribbon around the package.  I teased him that he shouldn't expect that level of service at home.  No way! 

 

Don't you just love gift-wrapped laundry!  

🎁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

COMMON SENSE (For Dummies)      Available on Amazon ...   :classic_biggrin:

 

I wasn't aware that Robert Morrison is HAL's official writer - did he also author the KBYG booklet?  BTW where in CS(FD) does Morrison set forth HAL's policy against using the laundry bags as totes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, avian777 said:

 

BTW where in CS(FD) does Morrison set forth HAL's policy against using the laundry bags as totes?

Same page where he talks about bathrobes in the Lido Buffet, pool chair hogging, cutting lines in the Lido Buffet, and being rude to HAL crew ... RIGHT ON THE BOOK's COVER PAGE !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taxmantoo, if we are ever on the same cruise, you MUST allow me to buy you a drink. Or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Taxmantoo, if we are ever on the same cruise, you MUST allow me to buy you a drink. Or two.

I second RuthCs intention!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On  my most recent cruises in May, I wrote, cold wash an low dryer heat , please, on the laundry  form and my jerseys and other   'cotttons'     came  back wonderful.  A   few   times    all I sent in the bag were two jerseys.    No problem at all.  I could not have been more pleased  with   the laundry service 

 

image.png.8a012c9dd8908870a13d163ec7178589.png

 

 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually leave the filled laundry bag on my bed when I go to dinner.OR on the bed when I leave my cabin in the morning.  The stewards take it when they service my cabin and deliver it  when it is  clean and pressed.  It's easy to get  used to having someone do it for me as often  as I wish.  🙂 

 

 

 

 image.png.fc89e14153e6f73b9bbc534694934f2d.png             

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much to everyone who posted! Our next cruise is a transpacific from Honolulu to Auckland late October, and we’re looking forward to all the great four star perks! The complimentary laundry means less packing. There are also quite a few tender ports, so the priority tender boarding will of course be a big help. And we love the specialty restaurant discounts!

 

It seems to us that HA’s loyalty program is one of the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Thank you so much to everyone who posted! Our next cruise is a transpacific from Honolulu to Auckland late October, and we’re looking forward to all the great four star perks! The complimentary laundry means less packing. There are also quite a few tender ports, so the priority tender boarding will of course be a big help. And we love the specialty restaurant discounts!

 

It seems to us that HA’s loyalty program is one of the best. 

 

Welcome to the 4 star level and congratulations!  It is great to hear from someone who is happy with the rewards!!!    Have a great cruise.  We sailed a similar one in April and loved all the sea days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t know about the free steaming. I could have used that on my black dress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

 

Welcome to the 4 star level and congratulations!  It is great to hear from someone who is happy with the rewards!!!    Have a great cruise.  We sailed a similar one in April and loved all the sea days!

 

Comp laundry and 50% wine packages... what's not to love?

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

 

Comp laundry and 50% wine packages... what's not to love?

😁

 

Absolutely, and 5 star is even better! Plus 50% specialty dining!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen the washing machines they use in the laundry.  They are huge.   So I don't think that if you send all whites one day and colors the next will make much of a difference.   They put many bags of laundry in the machine at the same time.  That's why you have those little stickers on your larger pieces, showing cabin number.   For smaller items like underwear and socks, they put those into a mesh bag, but still in with other clothes.   They do honor your requests for cool water, and they try to keep whites and colors separated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TAD2005 said:

I have seen the washing machines they use in the laundry.  They are huge.   So I don't think that if you send all whites one day and colors the next will make much of a difference.   They put many bags of laundry in the machine at the same time.  That's why you have those little stickers on your larger pieces, showing cabin number.   For smaller items like underwear and socks, they put those into a mesh bag, but still in with other clothes.   They do honor your requests for cool water, and they try to keep whites and colors separated.

 

That is what we heard on our tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lasts few cruises I've marked cold wash and added cool dry to the directions and have been very pleased with the way things are coming back.  That said, for the first time EVER I got back a pair of white undies that were very slightly off-color … hardly the end of the world and a little bleach when we got home seemed to revive them.

 

Are those blue garment bags over the items on hangers, complete with a handwritten note from the laundry, new this year?  Neither of us remember having gotten those before.  I already rave to everyone about getting laundry back in a basket wrapped in tissue but this takes HAL's laundry to a new level.  (I'm obviously easily amused 🙃)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...