Is Princess valet service available in Port Everglades?

We are interested in the service offered by some cruise lines in some ports called Valet Service, Express Baggage Service or whatever. This is the service offered by your ship a few days prior to arriving at its home port. The service usually cost about $25 per bag, and purchasing will have the ship/port/airline pickup your bag the last night of the cruise, then you will see it again at your final airport destination. This is a very useful service for those who cannot easily handle all their own bags. I have used the service on Celebrity and RCI in Port Everglades.

Anyone know if Princess offers that service in Port Everglades? I asked this on the CC Florida Departures forum also.

We're on the Crown Princess in November 2019.

Thanks.

Yes it is offered in Fort Lauderdale. We've used this service twice and really enjoy the convenience of it. Generally, a form is placed in your mailbox at your cabin  door for you to fill out and hand in with your info for flights.

Bag is picked up outside your door the nite before departure and boarding passes for your flights are left in your box. If you don't get the form by the third day of your cruise, go to the Ships Services to get one. Between using this service and having Global Entry we are the fastest out of the cruise terminal!

When we used it last October, it cost $25 per person, for up to 2 suitcases. Since we only had one each, we only signed my husband up and paid $25. Fantastic deal. We spent the day exploring in in Fort Lauderdale, then went to the airport for our late afternoon flight. Picked up our bags in Portland.

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

Yes it is offered in Fort Lauderdale. We've used this service twice and really enjoy the convenience of it. Generally, a form is placed in your mailbox at your cabin  door for you to fill out and hand in with your info for flights.

Bag is picked up outside your door the nite before departure and boarding passes for your flights are left in your box. If you don't get the form by the third day of your cruise, go to the Ships Services to get one. Between using this service and having Global Entry we are the fastest out of the cruise terminal!

Thanks! Very glad to hear Princess offers EZ-Check in Port Everglades. We like to use the self disembarkation where we carry off all or most of our luggage. I'm an old mad with a dodgy back, so that service makes it nice so I just have to claim the bag at our airport then drive home.

Thanks to all who replied. I thought Princess had this service, I know Port Everglades did, but I had heard recently that Princess no longer offered it. Which I thought was really odd.

"Global Entry" you mentioned is like "Mobile Passport" <smart phone app?>? We used that in about half our Port Everglade arrivals, the other times it was not working and we had to do it the long way.

49 minutes ago, donswife said:

When we used it last October, it cost $25 per person, for up to 2 suitcases. Since we only had one each, we only signed my husband up and paid $25. Fantastic deal. We spent the day exploring in in Fort Lauderdale, then went to the airport for our late afternoon flight. Picked up our bags in Portland.

Nice price. I remember it being $25 per bag on RCI.....but that was over 2 nights ago, so my memory may have "mismanaged" that particular memory! <G>

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

"Global Entry" you mentioned is like "Mobile Passport" <smart phone app?>? We used that in about half our Port Everglade arrivals, the other times it was not working and we had to do it the long way.

Port Everglades is one of the very few seaports participating in Global Entry; it is usually found in airports for returning US passengers and cleared passengers from a limited group of other countries.  One of it's best perks is TSA Pre-Check eligibility in US airports enabling you to get through airport security in a usually much shorter line.  This is the definition of Global Entry from https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry:

Global Entry

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports.

At airports, program members proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingerprints on the scanner for fingerprint verification and complete a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

Edited by capriccio
9 minutes ago, dvcmember said:

Is this service offered in New York / Brooklyn?  We are leaving on Monday.  I as also told that there is no limit to poundage if a checked bag is over 50lbs.  Any advice is helpful.

I don't know but I think it would be best for you to post this question on the Princess board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/) where it should be seen by many more folks who have disembarked Princess ships in Manhattan or Brooklyn. 

Edited by capriccio
2 hours ago, dvcmember said:

Is this service offered in New York / Brooklyn?  We are leaving on Monday.  I as also told that there is no limit to poundage if a checked bag is over 50lbs.  Any advice is helpful.

Not offered in NYC.

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I wish EZ Check was offered for flights to Canada when we need/want to check bag(s).

I'm hoping it's available in San Francisco for our cruise there next year also. I'll check on that later in the West Coast departure forum. Maybe someone will read you post above and mine here and know............I'll be on the Grand Princess next year.

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

What about the air line baggage fees?  When do you pay them?

In our case, the times we've used a similar service with Celeb and RCI, we have not had excess nor overweight bags; so no fees. Sorry I cannot answer your question.

We used Princess EZ Check for the first time in July, in Port Everglades. First time we have been able to use the service as Delta does not offer for the International flights we usually take, post cruise.

Bags were picked up as usual on last night and the next time we saw them was on the belt in Phoenix Sky Harbor airport.

We paid $30 each for Delta's luggage fees ( we were told overweight luggage would not be a problem)  and an additional $25 each for using the service. 

With Delta each bag was charged separately.

We were able to use the remains of our OBC to pay.

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

In our case, the times we've used a similar service with Celeb and RCI, we have not had excess nor overweight bags; so no fees. Sorry I cannot answer your question.

Update: I misread the question someone asked about baggage fees. I understood it to mean excess or overweight fees. Since I fly SW usually I don't have a regular fee for just having the one bag we each take. 😎

5 hours ago, geocruiser said:

What about the air line baggage fees?  When do you pay them?

The baggage fees are added to your on-board account. The fees are what the airline tells Princess you owe.

If you have a reservation that waives the baggage fees (frequent flier status; first class; etc.) make sure to note that on the form you turn in to Princess requesting the EZCheck program.

If Princess charges you baggage fees when you should not have had to pay them, it is difficult to get the $$$ back. The airline will say Princess made the mistake and Princess will say they charged what the airline said to charge.

1 minute ago, caribill said:

If Princess charges you baggage fees when you should not have had to pay them, it is difficult to get the $$$ back. The airline will say Princess made the mistake and Princess will say they charged what the airline said to charge.

We have found United to be very good at processing these types of refunds.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

The baggage fees are added to your on-board account. The fees are what the airline tells Princess you owe.

If you have a reservation that waives the baggage fees (frequent flier status; first class; etc.) make sure to note that on the form you turn in to Princess requesting the EZCheck program.

Now I am confused. (Some days it takes very little to do that....)If I were on an airline that would charge me $30 at the airport terminal to check a bag (pretty much anything other than SW; assume no waived fee), how does one pay that fee, in addition to the $25 the cruise line would charge to pick up my bag at my stateroom door and deliver it to the terminal for me? Seems like that $25 is just for Princess' work, and is separate from the $30 fee that airline charges to check the bag.

It sounds like your first sentence deals with that $30 fee. IOW, if I were to use the Princess EZ-Check with an airline that charges for my bag as above, would I see a $55 charge on my Princess Onboard Account, or only $25?

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Now I am confused. (Some days it takes very little to do that....)If I were on an airline that would charge me $30 at the airport terminal to check a bag (pretty much anything other than SW; assume no waived fee), how does one pay that fee, in addition to the $25 the cruise line would charge to pick up my bag at my stateroom door and deliver it to the terminal for me? Seems like that $25 is just for Princess' work, and is separate from the $30 fee that airline charges to check the bag.

It sounds like your first sentence deals with that $30 fee. IOW, if I were to use the Princess EZ-Check with an airline that charges for my bag as above, would I see a $55 charge on my Princess Onboard Account, or only $25?

You would see a $30 fee charged for the luggage and another $25 for the service.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

You would see a $30 fee charged for the luggage and another $25 for the service.

And these charges go on your cruise room account.  If you are flying SW, two bags per person are free so it is worthwhile to only sign up one person for the service.  If on an airline/status where one bag is free you will need to sign up both people, one bag each.

We have also signed up one time and had them not accept the application (they couldn't find it even with us checking multiple times).  Had to send luggage down with normal colored tags and pick it up in the terminal.  And didn't find out about this until 10 the night before getting off.  So when the program works, it works well.  But doesn't always work.

6 hours ago, LeeW said:

And these charges go on your cruise room account.  If you are flying SW, two bags per person are free so it is worthwhile to only sign up one person for the service.  If on an airline/status where one bag is free you will need to sign up both people, one bag each.

We have also signed up one time and had them not accept the application (they couldn't find it even with us checking multiple times).  Had to send luggage down with normal colored tags and pick it up in the terminal.  And didn't find out about this until 10 the night before getting off.  So when the program works, it works well.  But doesn't always work.

Interesting. We've only used the EZ-Check service with other cruise lines (Celeb and RCI), and only checked one bag (the rest we can manage), and paid just the $25 fee the ship charged.

However, I always figured that $25 was the fee paid to the cruise line, not the airline. As I said, we flew SW those times so didn't have any  luggage fee. But I always thought that charge was for just the cruise line; and any other fee would somehow still be due....either at the airport or charged to my ship's account.

We will test the system in November. We are flying JetBlue this time, and I believe they do charge a baggage fee......gotta refresh my memory on that. <g>