Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jim The Scot

Cabin Selection

Posted (edited)

Yesterday booked the Dream,yes AGAIN 😂

When we booked it,cheapest available cabin( no charge) was an outside plus deck 5/6 with an outside cabin at a supplement.We opted for the cheapest available cabin  the outside plus.For the first time we decided not to pay £48 to choose our outside plus cabin as the £48 can be put to better use

Today the same cruise,the cheapest available cabin was an outside with the outside plus at a supplement,total reverse from when we booked yesterday

What would happen if there was a rush of customer happy to pay the supplement for any available outside + cabins are Marella obliged to keep some back for the likes of us who booked at no supplement and allocate us a lesser cabin on arrival?

Clear as mud eh?😂

Edited by Jim The Scot

As less and less outside cabins were left the price would continue increasing. If the price is dropping it means they are not selling well. As I understand it they allocate the cabins remaining after pre booking a week or so out from the cruise date.

IMO it is always a good idea to pay the £48 if you know the cabin is a good quiet one, Marella get a lot of repeat cruisers and they learn about the bad cabins. Paying £48 is a lot better than say paying maybe hundreds for each passenger on P&O's select fare for the same privilage

All ships have 'bad' cabins, even modern ones

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

As less and less outside cabins were left the price would continue increasing. If the price is dropping it means they are not selling well. As I understand it they allocate the cabins remaining after pre booking a week or so out from the cruise date.

IMO it is always a good idea to pay the £48 if you know the cabin is a good quiet one.

Thanks for that information Davecttr. I have noticed that Marella prices change like the weather and have been trying to guess their logic.

Usually solo travelers don't have much choice in cabins, but on Dream I agree for me, it is better to pay the £48 rather than chance a noisy cabin. 

Apparently it is computer algorithms that control the price changes. Even the day of the week can make a difference, On busier booking days the price goes up slightly.

Yes, us solos have to book a long time in advance to get the cabin we want. Marella only allocate about 30 cabins for solo occupancy and they can sell out quickly. Choosing the correct cabin is important to me. I was on the Explorer 2 transatlantic repositioning this spring and did not pre book a cabin. I was allocated 4049 and at about 2am machinery was switched on below which made grinding noises. They moved me to 4173 which was better but not perfect. I got £100 compensation as well. On my recent Explorer cruise I booked 5027 and it was quiet. I would avoid deck 4 cabins. If you want an inside on Explorer 2 they are all well forward on deck 8 with good reports so far.

Thanks for replying D.I,ve probably over complicated my question/ query.Basically wanted to know if we could be allocated a lower grade cabin than the outside + .Aware of the benefits of paying £48 to book cabin and also repeat customers etc etc

First time in 14 + cruises we havent paid the supplement to book specific cabin but this is a wee extra cruise and booked due to the price and £48 could go towards our airport parking

No, if you booked an outside plus that is what you should get. From the Dream it appears that some of those outside plus cabins can be back near the engines and you might want to avoid those.

Posted (edited)

Thanks again dave

Not knowing where the engines are but guessing they,re located at the stern and looking at the deck plans the outside plus cabins on deck 5 and 6 fall well short of the stern of the ship

Edited by Jim The Scot

The blank rectangle opposite 6150 contains the exhaust uptakes from the diesel engines. Then you have the propulsion engines which may be electric transmission, the main engines are actually generators or, as in the case of Celebration, you have direct drive via gearboxes. Dream has twin diesel engines. Not sure of the the transmission type

55 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The blank rectangle opposite 6150 contains the exhaust uptakes from the diesel engines. Then you have the propulsion engines which may be electric transmission, the main engines are actually generators or, as in the case of Celebration, you have direct drive via gearboxes. Dream has twin diesel engines. Not sure of the the transmission type

Davecttr - Thank you for that info even though I am not the OP. Just for info I am on my first Marella cruise ( Dream) in October  - late booking due to Dubai fiasco ( only P/O or Celebrity previously.)  Like the OP I didn't  initially book a specific cabin but chose the cheapest Outside which at the time was a 3 berth standard even though only 2 of us. Having read posts on here where it  indicated that deck 5 may be the allocated cabin deck (not advisable due to noise issues) I decided to book. What a faff, much easier to book Select on P/O  LOL I rang my TA  yesterday who then had to ring TUI to find the available cabins. I said I wanted deck 6 and was offered 6217 as the best available. More research ( yes I am a geek) and I also discovered very noisy position due to engine noise so another phone call and long wait  to request a  cabin at the front  as the 3 berth not a necessity  and they had offered me a non  3 berth - another call to TUI and I now have 6040. Perfect (hopefully) then your post about the flipping exhaust vent  LOL but on checking deck plan again think it is fine and another cruise critic search confirmed that a previous poster many moons ago said no problems. Sorry for the long post but wanted to say thanks to all for the info as I would not have known anything about the Dream  cabin issues otherwise. Cheers guys.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Hi Dave.

your missing a trick here, all of this information has a value💶💷

you could be onto a winner.😉

keep well

As  a solo cruiser, I was lucky enough to get the only single balcony cabin on the Dream for my last cruise and for my next one too. Yes, I booked early. Only problem with it is the bathroom cabinet with mirror. OK if you are 6ft.4. Sadly, I am only 5ft.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tizzy-Jo said:

As  a solo cruiser, I was lucky enough to get the only single balcony cabin on the Dream for my last cruise and for my next one too. Yes, I booked early. Only problem with it is the bathroom cabinet with mirror. OK if you are 6ft.4. Sadly, I am only 5ft.

LOL - Tizzy-Jo I am not even going there.  The "perfect" chosen cabin apparently has bath with shower over ( that's a 1st on a cruise for me) and I am only 4ft 10 . I'll stand on a chair lol.

P.S. I saw a pic of a bathroom and the hairdryers seem way high up. I was wondering about that !!

Edited by miniyorkie
typo

Posted (edited)

Cheers Dave

Might pop down to TA tomorrow and see what cabins are available 😉

Edited by Jim The Scot