Cruise Critic Community
Italy52

Coastal/Vancouver Question

I am hoping to get some responses from cruisers that have done the following:  We are interested in taking a coastal cruise that leaves embarks in LAX (San Pedro) and disembarks in Vancouver.  We would like to stay on the same ship (assuming it can be done) and then continue on with a B2B in Alaska (Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver.)  If it is possible (which I believe it is), would we have to disembark our first cruise (coastal cruise) in Vancouver and go through Immigration before getting back on the ship for our B2B to Alaska?  Thanks in advance for your help.

There is some law that will not let you go from San Pedro to Vancouver and then stay on the same ship to Alaska . As strange as that seems......You can get off and board another ship the same day though....... Which also seems strange

But this is not illegal per the PVSA because they are not leaving the cruise in Alaska, they are returning to Vancouver.  So their journey would be from San Pedro to Vancouver.  EM

54 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I am hoping to get some responses from cruisers that have done the following:  We are interested in taking a coastal cruise that leaves embarks in LAX (San Pedro) and disembarks in Vancouver.  We would like to stay on the same ship (assuming it can be done) and then continue on with a B2B in Alaska (Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver.)  If it is possible (which I believe it is), would we have to disembark our first cruise (coastal cruise) in Vancouver and go through Immigration before getting back on the ship for our B2B to Alaska?  Thanks in advance for your help.

I researched the option this year to take the coastal to Vancouver and continuing on the Royal to Whittier & learned from knowledgeable people that the PVSA would not allow it.  However if I had continued back to Vancouver like you’re planning that makes it a legal routing.

We disembarked in Vancouver and it was an easy process to go through the Canadian authorities.  My guess is you’ll have to go through immigration in Vancouver before reboarding the ship for your B2B cruises to Alaska.

Try to book it.  If it is in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, (PVSA), Princess will not allow you to book it.

Won’t work.  Getting off the ship and getting back on the same ship a couple of hours later, whether you go through immigration, is not a way around the PVSA.

22 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

But this is not illegal per the PVSA because they are not leaving the cruise in Alaska, they are returning to Vancouver.  So their journey would be from San Pedro to Vancouver.  EM

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Won’t work.  Getting off the ship and getting back on the same ship a couple of hours later, whether you go through immigration, is not a way around the PVSA.

I researched the LA/Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver cruise on the Royal this year...it does work.

From our friends at Cruise Critic: 

Here's an example:

Passenger Z books two cruises that are back-to-back on the same ship. The first is a repositioning from San Diego to Vancouver. The second is a one-way Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage. That passenger is essentially being transported from San Diego to Anchorage by way of Vancouver, which is not a distant foreign port since it is in North America. A violation would be triggered. Again, the cruise line is not likely to allow you to knowingly create a violation and would not allow the booking in the first place. If the booking slips through, Passenger Z would likely be denied re-boarding in Vancouver.

Passenger Z's remedies are to book the Alaskan portion of the trip on a different ship or by including a third segment that ends at a foreign port as the final destination. Simply booking the return from Anchorage to Vancouver works because now Z's trip began in San Diego and ended in Vancouver, even though that port was on the itinerary twice.

25 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I researched the option this year to take the coastal to Vancouver and continuing on the Royal to Whittier & learned from knowledgeable people that the PVSA would not allow it.  However if I had continued back to Vancouver like you’re planning that makes it a legal routing.

We disembarked in Vancouver and it was an easy process to go through the Canadian authorities.  My guess is you’ll have to go through immigration in Vancouver before reboarding the ship for your B2B cruises to Alaska.

Good to know

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

It is possible. With what you proposing you are beginning in a US port and ending in Canada. (Now if you were planning on ending your trip in Whittier that would not be allowed.) 

Does your repo cruise stop in Victoria before arriving in Vancouver? If so, immigration will be a bit different. If your first Canadian port is Vancouver you will need to be processed there and will be considered an in transit passenger. You will receive information in your cabin the night before the end of the cruise with directions on that day. Basically you will meet in a certain location at a certain time. All in transits will head ashore at the same time, be processed together, and will board the ship again. If you'd rather spend your day ashore in Vancouver, you can. You just won't be able to reboard until the new passengers have started heading onboard. 

idahospud...we sailed the Royal LA/Vancouver in May and will again in May 2020.  Next year’s cruise stops in Victoria before disembarking in Vancouver.  Will we be processed by Canadian authorities in Victoria?

We haven’t sailed the itinerary that stops in Victoria since 2011 & would appreciate any insights you might have to share...thanks. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

idahospud...we sailed the Royal LA/Vancouver in May and will again in May 2020.  Next year’s cruise stops in Victoria before disembarking in Vancouver.  Will we be processed by Canadian authorities in Victoria?

We haven’t sailed the itinerary that stops in Victoria since 2011 & would appreciate any insights you might have to share...thanks. 🙂

You will be processed in Victoria. The great part of stopping in Victoria first is that you only have to fill out the Canadian customs card and hand it to your steward. That's it. No passport to show, no face to face meeting. You can then just walk off the ship in Victoria (and Vancouver) without having to show a passport to anyone. Easy peasy!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brian1713 said:

There is some law that will not let you go from San Pedro to Vancouver and then stay on the same ship to Alaska . As strange as that seems......You can get off and board another ship the same day though....... Which also seems strange

36 minutes ago, Brian1713 said:

Good to know

I think the PVSA is a strange & outdated regulation but that’s another discussion.

Switching ships does allow sailing from Vancouver to Whittier & we also considered going to Seattle for a cruise the next day roundtrip to Alaska.

Edited by Astro Flyer

54 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

Try to book it.  If it is in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, (PVSA), Princess will not allow you to book it.

If it is a cruise that violates the PVSA you can book it but will receive notification at some point from Princess that it is not allowed. We have found and I have read here on CC that others were able to book for a short period of time until the Princess booking system flags it.

If a cruise falls under the PVSA act one has to be off the ship at least 24 hours before reboarding or just change ships.

You all have been extremely helpful, I appreciate it very much.  We are just beginning to explore some of the options for the California Coastal connection to the Alaska B2B for a future cruise. 

26 minutes ago, idahospud said:

It is possible. With what you proposing you are beginning in a US port and ending in Canada. (Now if you were planning on ending your trip in Whittier that would not be allowed.) 

Does your repo cruise stop in Victoria before arriving in Vancouver? If so, immigration will be a bit different. If your first Canadian port is Vancouver you will need to be processed there and will be considered an in transit passenger. You will receive information in your cabin the night before the end of the cruise with directions on that day. Basically you will meet in a certain location at a certain time. All in transits will head ashore at the same time, be processed together, and will board the ship again. If you'd rather spend your day ashore in Vancouver, you can. You just won't be able to reboard until the new passengers have started heading onboard. 

Don't have scheduling information on repro cruises connecting to Alaska cruises just yet as I am doing my  homework for 2021.  Crazy I know, I am a planner and always looking ahead.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, idahospud said:

You will be processed in Victoria. The great part of stopping in Victoria first is that you only have to fill out the Canadian customs card and hand it to your steward. That's it. No passport to show, no face to face meeting. You can then just walk off the ship in Victoria (and Vancouver) without having to show a passport to anyone. Easy peasy!

Great...thanks for refreshing my 8+ year old memory about the process. ☺️

We experienced the process for our YVR/OGG flight with going through US authorities at the airport before boarding our flight...also Easy Peasy!

We’re disappointed that our time in Victoria was reduced...we still arrive at 0800 but now depart at 1730 instead of the original 2300.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

Great...thanks for refreshing my 9 year old memory about the process. ☺️

We experienced the process for our YVR/OGG flight with going through US authorities at the airport before boarding our flight...also Easy Peasy!

We’re disappointed that our time in Victoria was reduced...we still arrive at 0800 but now depart at 1730 instead of the original 2300.

We just made the voyage this spring so my memory is only a few months old. Glad it jogged yours!

The change in time leaving Victoria most likely has to do with tides, the height of the Royal Princess, and the Lions Gate Bridge.

We were on the Royal B2B Alaska in June and we had to leave Vancouver an hour early due to the tides so we could go under the bridge.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, idahospud said:

The change in time leaving Victoria most likely has to do with tides, the height of the Royal Princess, and the Lions Gate Bridge.

We booked 20 months in advance & the time changed 14 months before the cruise.  I don’t know how far in advance tidal charts are available but know the Royal had to reduce the height of the stacks (6’?) for the bridge.

We arrived on the Royal before your cruise & about a month before they changed the Vancouver arrival time from 0600 to 0730 for operational reasons.  Thankfully it didn’t affect making our flight but some passengers were worried about earlier flights that met the original Princess timeframe before the later arrival was announced.

Edited by Astro Flyer

44 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Also good to know

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

We booked 20 months in advance & the time changed 14 months before the cruise.  I don’t know how far in advance tidal charts are available but know the Royal had to reduce the height of the stacks (6’?) for the bridge.

We arrived on the Royal before your cruise & about a month before they changed the Vancouver arrival time from 0600 to 0730 for operational reasons.  Thankfully it didn’t affect making our flight but some passengers were worried about earlier flights that met the original Princess timeframe before the later arrival was announced.

You must have been on that repositioning cruise where they had issues with getting clearance and getting all the luggage off the ship. We were waiting for friends to get off the ship so we could have breakfast with them before we headed onto the ship. They were delayed, and delayed, and delayed some more. Then when we arrived back into Vancouver ourselves two weeks later our disembarkation times were greatly delayed, but they let us know before the end of the cruise.

They've been learning a lot from the ship being in Alaska. Between going around Vancouver Island, a different approach into Ketchikan, and then I think it was this past week they left Ketchikan earlier than planned to make it back under the bridge. I was able to talk to the Captain and one of the officers when we were on the ship in May. I hope to be able to ask some of the same questions next week and see what they've learned new after having been in Alaska all season.

Edited by idahospud

1 minute ago, idahospud said:

You must have been on that repositioning cruise where they had issues with getting clearance and getting all the luggage off the ship.

That’s the one...our flight wasn’t until 1400 so we didn’t rush off the ship because passengers with earlier flights needed to disembark ASAP.  Our luggage wasn’t found in the designated area which then closed to consolidate all bags to another area where we finally located them.  Early season arrivals in Vancouver can experience issues which hopefully was smoother for you disembarkation.

Thanks for the updates about the Royal’s first Alaskan season.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

I researched the LA/Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver cruise on the Royal this year...it does work.

Yes, I’m mistaken.  I had not read the itinerary carefully enough... I thought the Op was planning on disembarking in AK and that is not the case.