Cruise Critic Community
redcruzer

Passports required for Bahamas??

55 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I didn't say that a natualized US citizen needed a passport, just that a birth certificate alone was not sufficient.

I didn't say that you said that. I was just laying out the full set of options for the benefit of those who might be reading but may be unaware of the options that substitute for the birth certificate when you're a US citizen, but not a US citizen born in the US.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

However even a naturalized US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise. They can use their Certificate of Naturalization in the same way a natural born US citizen can use their birth certificate. And if someone was a US citizen at birth but was born outside the US they can use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad for the same purpose as a person born in the US uses their birth certificate.

Users of the Naturalization Certificate should know that it costs about $550 to replace a lost or damaged one. When I found that out I decided that it was better to have a more permanent document to use for cruising, since even a spilled glass of water could be pricey. We opted for the Enhanced Drivers License because it is an option here and we carry our licenses with us all of the time, so it's one less thing to carry, but the passport card is more affordable in the long run. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Users of the Naturalization Certificate should know that it costs about $550 to replace a lost or damaged one. When I found that out I decided that it was better to have a more permanent document to use for cruising, since even a spilled glass of water could be pricey. We opted for the Enhanced Drivers License because it is an option here and we carry our licenses with us all of the time, so it's one less thing to carry, but the passport card is more affordable in the long run. 

Good advice.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:08 PM, Host Clarea said:

A natural born US citizen.

That too. 🙂

1 minute ago, Giorgi-one said:

What is required ID for young children 12 and under in Bahamas?

All that is needed to get back on the ship is the SeaPass card.

Flying back to the US would require a passport.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, redcruzer said:

Hello, is a passport required for a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas if you depart and return from the same US port?

I hate this question. 

1. No you do not need a passport to go to the Bahamas on a closed loop cruise.

2. If you are from another country, than you had to enter USA first and you had a passport so no need to answer this question

3. If you are already in the USA, from another country  and somehow get on the ship without a passport, than you would need a passport to get back into the USA. Bahamas does not check passports.

When in doubt, read the 5000 answers on this topic that shows up weekly.

I have preferred to bring my Pass Port on all cruises, and this is mainly, should I need to fly home from a Caribbean Port, it helps expedite the process as to re enter the US they will want to see one. 

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

A parent

Do we need the parent if the kids have the SeaPass 😆😆😆

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I hate this question. 

Then don't answer it.

Unless you are not a US citizen then you do.  We don't know where the OP is from. 

2. If you are from another country, than you had to enter USA first and you had a passport so no need to answer this question.

Unless you are from Canada and entered the country by land then no passport is required. An enhanced license is more than adequate to get you across the border without a passport.  Which would leave you standing on the dock watching sailaway.

3. If you are already in the USA, from another country  and somehow get on the ship without a passport, than you would need a passport to get back into the USA. Bahamas does not check passports.

This is the only accurate part of your post, albeit not good information since non-US citizens would not get on the ship without a passport under any circumstances.

I haven't actually seen a passport question this week so I suspect that we won't find find 5000 answers this week either.

13 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I hate this question. 

2. If you are from another country, than you had to enter USA first and you had a passport so no need to answer this question

1) Yes.

2) Really?  So all those coming across the southern border bring their passports?

3)  Hmm, so those who sailed without passports have to show them to get back in?  Since I have always sailed with a passport, do they check DC and photo ID upon arrival back in the US?

3B) Not really, they DO check your documents, except they check them via the manifest that the ship gives them.  If there were some concerns, they could certainly check your documents directly.

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Unless you are from Canada and entered the country by land then no passport is required. An enhanced license is more than adequate to get you across the border without a passport.  Which would leave you standing on the dock watching sailaway.

I know that a US EDL is valid for land and sea ports of entry into the US from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean and I would suspect that a Canadian EDL would be valid for the same use (but I haven't done any direct research on the question).

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I know that a US EDL is valid for land and sea ports of entry into the US from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean and I would suspect that a Canadian EDL would be valid for the same use (but I haven't done any direct research on the question).

I stand corrected.  That is why these threads are good even though we think we have discussed them ad naseum because even still there are good pieces of information that can be gleaned along the way,  You can now enter the US by sea with an EDL.  Initially when they came up with the EDL program we were advised that is was land crossings only.  Now, according to DHS, they have expanded the program to include sea crossings as well.  I know our first cruise, in 2007, this was not the case.

From the DHS website:

The Department has worked with Canadian provincial and federal officials to pursue enhanced drivers licenses as an alternative to the Canadian passport.  Four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) are issuing EDLs to Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens can present an EDL when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

does real ID count? or is it just enhanced to cross by land?

No, REAL ID does not count. It has to be an Enhanced License which are currently issued by 5 states (Washington, NY, Vermont, Michigan and Wisconsin if memory serves). Of course you can still use a REAL ID compliant license in conjunction with proof of citizenship (birth cert, etc.).

Edited by sparks1093

15 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

No, REAL ID does not count. It has to be an Enhanced License which are currently issued by 5 states (Washington, NY, Vermont, Michigan and Wisconsin if memory serves). Of course you can still use a REAL ID compliant license in conjunction with proof of citizenship (birth cert, etc.).

I thought that the Real-ID license with the star in the upper right denoted citizenship.

15 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I thought that the Real-ID license with the star in the upper right denoted citizenship.

It just means that you can legally have a license - so a green card holder can get a license once they proved they are legally here. 

17 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

Do we need the parent if the kids have the SeaPass 😆😆😆

They only need the parent getting off the ship.  Getting back on, they should have the parent in tow but I believe getting back on no one cares. 

15 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

They only need the parent getting off the ship.  Getting back on, they should have the parent in tow but I believe getting back on no one cares. 

That was meant to be a joke!  

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I stand corrected.  That is why these threads are good even though we think we have discussed them ad naseum because even still there are good pieces of information that can be gleaned along the way,  You can now enter the US by sea with an EDL.  Initially when they came up with the EDL program we were advised that is was land crossings only.  Now, according to DHS, they have expanded the program to include sea crossings as well.  I know our first cruise, in 2007, this was not the case.

From the DHS website:

The Department has worked with Canadian provincial and federal officials to pursue enhanced drivers licenses as an alternative to the Canadian passport.  Four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) are issuing EDLs to Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens can present an EDL when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry. 

While homelands security may say that is valid Royal won’t let you on the ship with that. As a Canadian you need a passport to board.

59 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

42 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

It just means that you can legally have a license - so a green card holder can get a license once they proved they are legally here. 

Correct, you only have to demonstrate legal presence to get a REAL ID compliant license so it's not stand alone proof of citizenship.

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While homelands security may say that is valid Royal won’t let you on the ship with that. As a Canadian you need a passport to board.

Cruise lines have the authority to require more than the minimum documentation requirements (for instance many premium lines require all passengers to have a passport to board). In any event I'm not 100% that Royal wouldn't accept a Canadian EDL, from their FAQ:

"United States and Canadian Citizens:

You MUST have one of the following:

- OR -

• Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) or Trusted Travel Documents. Click here for a list of all approved documents."

The EDL is a WHTI compliant document that proves identity and citizenship.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:47 PM, SakeDad said:

How many boards are you going to post this same question to??? The cruise lines don't set passport requirements, they follow each country's rules. Seeing the same question on multiple boards is annoying and useless.

I'll post it as many places as I want. if ya don't like it, then don't look. God, people are so rude!!

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 4:08 AM, Host Clarea said:

A natural born US citizen.

My daughter has a Cert. of Citizenship and a Cert. of Foreign Birth (looks just like a birth cert. and was approved by a family court judge in CO, etc.) and they've been fine with the Cert. of Foreign Birth (although I bring both and her passport along).

Edited by CI66774
wrong info