Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rally

TV viewing in Symphony Seabreeze Penthouse

I’m sure this has been discussed before but 8 can’t find it so forgive me, please.  We are sailing soon in one of these for the first time.  From the photos it looks like th nice, big, flatscreen TV is on the wall alongside the bed.  That looks like it would be awkward to watch TV while laying down.  Has this been modified?  Am I wrong?  Thanks in advance for your help.

You are correct in that it's hard, very hard, to watch tv from any comfortable location in the room - whether they have corrected it I'm not sure but I somehow doubt it. It is, to say the least, a very weird choice of location for the screen!!

That is correct. The TV is on an adjustable wall mount, but it’s location in these rooms is rather awkward.

Posted (edited)

Thanks all.  Somehow we’ll power through it 😎Oh, by the way. . . The photos show some sort of coffee machine.  Basic Kuerig?  Espresso?  

Edited by Rally
Add

I's with the Pods as you might have in a hotel.  They come in all different kinds and you can ask the butler about them.  You can make them in different sizes.

Keith

Mike, this is a photo fo the Seabreeze (category SH) on Symphony.  It's not all that different than the original PH on Serenity and the Seabreeze SH on Serenity.  In the dry dock on Serenity they did move it over to the wall above the couch which is a better location.  With that said we did fine for many years on the Serenity in a PH when it was located pretty much like this one is.  

There might have been some technical reasons for this placement.  Have no idea.

Keith

560676502_ScreenShot2019-08-18at5_18_44AM.thumb.jpg.35946a3c9ebf4547c7fc5269e5d2a311.jpg

Thanks, Keith.  I have seen that photo, which is what prompted my question.  I had read somewhere it was moved but I guess only on Serenity so far.  

I thought I would add some additional photos.

The Serenity Sea Breeze SH isn't over the couch.  They have it on the side wall by the couch.  

I took this in December on Serenity.

IMG_1613.thumb.jpg.cd056f81873f3e520e48f5ef7fdf0228.jpg

The traditional PH's on Serenity is where they moved them when they replaced the TV's during the dry dock to the area above the couch.

This is where the TV used to be.

DSC_4179.thumb.jpg.70300283872ac017ebe850789f70d03f.jpg

After they moved the TV they created a shelf.

IMG_1612.thumb.jpg.578f8d0405dc8f70896a2097789394a9.jpg

I didn't take a photo of the new TV  above the couch but where you see the picture is where they now have the flat screen TV.

DSC_4182.thumb.jpg.1d8e83dacd3b1410c32f21f8ad99d7c7.jpg

Keith

In the Seabreeze penthouse on Serenity the extendable arm on the television is longer and allows the tv to be adjusted much more than on the Seabreeze PH on Symphony. I was in a Seabreeze PH on Serenity in July and was able to adjust the television and watch it comfortably from the bed. Maybe replacing the extension arm (sorry, don't know the technical name for it) would be an easy fix on the Symphony?

we are booked on Symphony Seabreeze "Suite", is the TV situation same as PH Seabreeze?

7 hours ago, docmark said:

we are booked on Symphony Seabreeze "Suite", is the TV situation same as PH Seabreeze?

If you are speaking about the Symphony Seabreeze SP it is quite a bit different the placement of the TVs are in different locations.

This shows the TV in the Living room which is across from the couch.

IMG_0162.thumb.jpg.e738e304b448a0fb29642bcd60870ec4.jpg

I didn't take a photo of it when we stayed in this room but on the wall behind this TV is where the other TV is located in the bedroom so if sitting in the bed the TV would be right in front of you a foot or two behind the foot of the bed.

We love staying in this Seabreeze.

Keith

I travel solo so SP is out of the question, but I am splurging, for me, on an SH next year for a month. Based on the photos and discussion, I am rethinking my choice between SH and PH. Though TV can be background for news, watching a video looks awkward, if not impossible. Opinions?

•  
16 hours ago, docmark said:

If you are speaking about the Symphony Seabreeze SP it is quite a bit different the placement of the TVs are in different locations.

This shows the TV in the Living room which is across from the couch.

IMG_0162.thumb.jpg.e738e304b448a0fb29642bcd60870ec4.jpg

I didn't take a photo of it when we stayed in this room but on the wall behind this TV is where the other TV is located in the bedroom so if sitting in the bed the TV would be right in front of you a foot or two behind the foot of the bed.

We love staying in this Seabreeze.

Keith

Thanks Keith

Yes, I was referring to SP , and very glad to know that TV is in front of you when in bed, actually my wife is the "glad" one!! she watches lot of TV from bed at night !!

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I travel solo so SP is out of the question, but I am splurging, for me, on an SH next year for a month. Based on the photos and discussion, I am rethinking my choice between SH and PH. Though TV can be background for news, watching a video looks awkward, if not impossible. Opinions?

I would go with the SH.

To me the challenge with the SH is the size of the furniture with two people in the room.

Since you are going solo I would go with the SH as it is very new and has some very nice features.  It has a wonderful rain shower for example and love the pullout refrigerator.

For many years on Serenity before the moved the TV the TV in the PH was very much like this one and it was fine for us.  Now I am not sure how much TV you plan to watch.

If you require a bathtub there is no bathtubs in the Sea Breeze.  For us not having a bathtub is fine as we don't use it but if you do that would be a reason to go with the PH.

IMHO I would not worry about the TV and again speaking for myself I would not be making the decision based on the location of the TV.

Keith

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

In the Seabreeze penthouse on Serenity the extendable arm on the television is longer and allows the tv to be adjusted much more than on the Seabreeze PH on Symphony. I was in a Seabreeze PH on Serenity in July and was able to adjust the television and watch it comfortably from the bed. Maybe replacing the extension arm (sorry, don't know the technical name for it) would be an easy fix on the Symphony?

I concur.  The TV in the Seabreeze penthouse on the Serenity is not an issue. Certainly in our experience it can be easily adjusted to be seen from the bed, couch  or wherever you choose to watch it from... we don’t watch a lot of TV but there is also a TV volume dial/speaker in the bathroom if required!  

Edited by Cancun01

That does indeed look like awkward placing of the television.   I just sailed on Serenity in a low rent C room and the television is directly in front of the bed, perfect for viewing.

Keith's remark about the lack of tubs inspires me to state (yes I know....way off topic) that I wish Crystal would consider doing away with the tub in the C cabins (or perhaps some C cabins so there is a choice) in the next dry dock and certainly on the hoped for new ocean ship. 

23 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I would go with the SH.

To me the challenge with the SH is the size of the furniture with two people in the room.

Since you are going solo I would go with the SH as it is very new and has some very nice features.  It has a wonderful rain shower for example and love the pullout refrigerator.

For many years on Serenity before the moved the TV the TV in the PH was very much like this one and it was fine for us.  Now I am not sure how much TV you plan to watch.

If you require a bathtub there is no bathtubs in the Sea Breeze.  For us not having a bathtub is fine as we don't use it but if you do that would be a reason to go with the PH.

IMHO I would not worry about the TV and again speaking for myself I would not be making the decision based on the location of the TV.

Keith

The tub is not an issue with me. Too hard at my age getting in and out. And I mostly watch news on TV  but  an occasional movie. I am on Symphony, forgot to mention that. If Serenity location has been changed,  can I expect that by Fall 2020, they may do that on Symphony? Or shall I just stay with SH and enjoy the "newness" (well, almost, since it'll be four (?) years from refit).

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

The tub is not an issue with me. Too hard at my age getting in and out. And I mostly watch news on TV  but  an occasional movie. I am on Symphony, forgot to mention that. If Serenity location has been changed,  can I expect that by Fall 2020, they may do that on Symphony? Or shall I just stay with SH and enjoy the "newness" (well, almost, since it'll be four (?) years from refit).

Yes, I knew Symphony. 

Assume the Sea Breeze on Symphony does not change.

Personally I would go with the SH and yes enjoy its newness. and for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes, I knew Symphony. 

Personally I would go with the SH and yes enjoy its newness. and for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

Keith

Thanks, Keith, for your, as always, excellent insight. Looking forward to my "splurge"  next fall, Barcelona-
Dubai. My first Crystal cruise was this summer's 8-day shortie along the West Coast, and I liked everything about Crystal except the small (in my experience) verandah stateroom. Hence, the splurge upgrade for the upcoming voyage.

I have a semi-serious (ok not even semi) reason for doing a Sea Breeze vs a traditional.  I also have to admit that we've only done a PH once and that was an upgrade.

We find we spend so much time going from one place on the ships to another and up an down the stairs.  If you are on 7 and heading to 11 or 12 - a lot of stairs up and down.  SO if you are in a SB in the center of 9 each trip up to 11 or down to 5 may be shorter.  I know in the end you will put on the same mileage but..

Told you it was semi-serious at best but I did think of it on one of my many up or down trips on the ship.

18 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Thanks, Keith, for your, as always, excellent insight. Looking forward to my "splurge"  next fall, Barcelona-
Dubai. My first Crystal cruise was this summer's 8-day shortie along the West Coast, and I liked everything about Crystal except the small (in my experience) verandah stateroom. Hence, the splurge upgrade for the upcoming voyage.

You are very welcome.

This is a wonderful itinerary.  Love the stops and the overnights.  So many nice options for touring and places to see without being rushed.  Great time of year too.  

I think you will be very pleased with both accommodation and itinerary.

Keith

On 8/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, Keith1010 said:

Yes, I knew Symphony. 

Keith

Agree with Keith. Yes, the Seabreeze PH has some awkward aspects including furniture that is too big and awkward TV viewing. However the wonderful shower and bathroom arrangement as well as the fresh "newness" of it make it worthwhile. Also, if one person wishes to sit and watch TV, the large living room style chair is at a perfect viewing angle.