Jars vs. bottles...bringing grocery items on board?

Buckimion

We'll have several days in New Orleans before our cruise but will be flying out very shortly after docking. On my to-do list is picking up some grocery items such as olive salad, but I began to wonder if Carnival treats (sealed) glass jars as bottles and I risk having them dumped?

Do not know how Carnival would treat jars.  In my opinion the olive salad you buy in New Orleans is not much better than the stuff you can buy at Walmart or Kroger, at least in Mississippi. I would not risk the mess it would make if the jar broke.

I would suggest having it in the carry on to avoid a trip to the naughty room. The prohibition is on beverages in bottles and olive salad isn't a beverage so my guess (and it's just a guess) is that it should be okay, but you might get that one security person who is bucking for promotion.

Whenever we have Cozumel as a port stop, I buy a jar of vanilla and never had a problem bringing them onboard.  I have also bought bottles of hot sauce in various ports also with no problem.  They are interested in containers that could have liquor in them.  Like the above, olive salad obviously is not liquor.  So I say you should have no problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gatour said:

Whenever we have Cozumel as a port stop, I buy a jar of vanilla and never had a problem bringing them onboard.  I have also bought bottles of hot sauce in various ports also with no problem.  They are interested in containers that could have liquor in them.  Like the above, olive salad obviously is not liquor.  So I say you should have no problem.

The vanilla we buy in Coz doesn't come in a glass jar. It's a plastic bottle. It's going to be Carnival's call when you reboard, OP.

1585046.jpg

81r1VzyTDvL._SY550_.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

I've boarded with food before that was left over from our day before, spent in port- things like half a sub sandwich from HEB, an opened bag of potato chips, candy... I bring it in my carry on and have never been challenged, so I think you'd be okay with bringing your olive salad onboard with you.

Oddly enough, I never thought about when I bought vanilla in Cozumel last cruise. The olive salad is not something that is commonly available in my area and the weight means shipping it home separately isn't practical.

I can't eat gluten, but would love a Guys Burger on a bun...Wondering if I could bring some gluten free buns onboard??  The fries are gluten free and they say if you have a gluten problem they serve it bunless...that's not a burger to me,  I want it on a bun???

Just now, cruisinthemed said:

I can't eat gluten, but would love a Guys Burger on a bun...Wondering if I could bring some gluten free buns onboard??  The fries are gluten free and they say if you have a gluten problem they serve it bunless...that's not a burger to me,  I want it on a bun???

Yes you could bring them onboard with you, with no issues.

23 minutes ago, cincicruisers said:

I wonder if buffet or main dining room have gluten free buns? 

I just did a search...I am so happy!!  I can have a GF bun with my Guy's Burger, GF pizza, breads, pasta, even chocolate melting cake, soft serve ice cream, etc.

Copied this from someone's post that was in a link from Carnival...

Carnival can provide our guests with meals suited to the following special dietary needs: vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, and gluten free. Our chefs will make every effort to fulfill your requests, and will gladly prepare freshly-made options that meet your dietary needs. Once on board, we ask you speak with the headwaiter or dining room host in advance, so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

Gluten-free pizza dough, pasta, bread for deli sandwiches, and hamburgers buns, as well as cake are available upon request. Plus, our frozen desserts and yogurt are gluten-free. All items are freshly prepared and may take a little longer than regular menu items. Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura, is available for your enjoyment.

We also provide prepackaged kosher meals. If you're requesting kosher meals, you must let us know two weeks advance of your cruise.

Guests who require a different dining time than they chose when booking can change once on board the ship. Guests will be accommodated on a first come, first served basis.

Food Allergies:

We ask that you please inform our dining team of any food allergies and special preparation you may require to accommodate your allergy. Please discuss this the first evening of your cruise. Although there are a number of options at our various restaurants, special dietary and food requests can be accommodated in our main dining rooms only.

Other Dietary Needs:

Although we do not have dietitians on board, we can offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. Diet requirements need to be arranged with the head waiter on the first night of the cruise. If dining in the Lido Restaurant, the guest should discuss requirements with senior dining staff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisinthemed said:

No need.  They have GF buns available.