Cruise Critic Community
beshears

Restaurants on the Horizon

I know there are several Pay restaurants on the Horizon ship.

Did I read that there are only "two", one for MDR, and one for My Time Dining restaurants on this ship?  The reason I ask, I have been on several ships where they had pay restaurants, as well as the My Time Dining, but always had two MDR's too.

Sort of confused by your question. Horizon has two MDRs, which is what you stated. Every Carnival ship has two MDRs, with the exception of Spirit class ships which only have one. 

OK, this is what I'm trying to say.  All ships I have been on before had "2" MDR's, plus 1 dining room for My Time dining.  So "if" I read your answer right, there are 2 MDR's, plus 1 My Time dining room? In other words, 3 dining rooms.  Or are you saying there are just 2, with 1 for MDR, 1 for MyTime dining?

9 minutes ago, beshears said:

OK, this is what I'm trying to say.  All ships I have been on before had "2" MDR's, plus 1 dining room for My Time dining.  So "if" I read your answer right, there are 2 MDR's, plus 1 My Time dining room? In other words, 3 dining rooms.  Or are you saying there are just 2, with 1 for MDR, 1 for MyTime dining?

There are two main dining rooms on the Horizon, the Reflection (Midship) and Meridian (Aft) dining rooms. However, there are two levels in each restaurant, which depending on your sailing, will be used for Your Time Dining. On my sailing, I had late dining (8:15) and ate in the Meridian restaurant.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

I can't remember if you've said you've sailed Carnival before, or if it was always other lines. Carnival doesn't have a separate MDR for Your Time Dining. You'll be in one of the two on Horizon. The MDR you're assigned to will be printed on your S&S card.

And one of them will be used for sea day brunches as well. I'm not sure which one because we haven't been on Horizon yet, but your Fun Times will tell you which one sea day brunch is in.

8 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

And one of them will be used for sea day brunches as well. I'm not sure which one because we haven't been on Horizon yet, but your Fun Times will tell you which one sea day brunch is in.

Horizon uses the aft MDR for breakfast and sea day brunch.  

36 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Horizon uses the aft MDR for breakfast and sea day brunch.  

Wish they used that one for assigned.....  

OK, I "think???" I may understand what you all are saying.  All ships I have been on have had two dining rooms with 2 levels, and as far as I know, they were ONLY for MDR eating.  Up till just a few years ago, other then the paid restaurants, there wasn't any MY Time dining that I had ever heard of, and maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. Isn't My Time dining room for people who want to come just about "any time" they want to eat, and not at the 6:15 or 8:15 time?

We were on the inaugural Horizon cruise last year with My Time dining. We had to check in on deck 5 by the JavaBlue Cafe and then go down to the Meridian restaurant on the 4th deck aft. The aft elevators and stairs were close by. We ate fairly early and most nights there was a longer line to check in on deck 5 then at the restaurant. They give you a paper with the time, table number and the number in your party. We had good service and in fact requested the same table for the rest of the cruise.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, beshears said:

OK, I "think???" I may understand what you all are saying.  All ships I have been on have had two dining rooms with 2 levels, and as far as I know, they were ONLY for MDR eating.  Up till just a few years ago, other then the paid restaurants, there wasn't any MY Time dining that I had ever heard of, and maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. Isn't My Time dining room for people who want to come just about "any time" they want to eat, and not at the 6:15 or 8:15 time?

Just to avoid some confusion, what you’re calling “My” Time Dining is called Your Time Dining on Carnival. Same difference. You go to dinner anytime between 5:45-9:30.

You’ll be assigned one of the two MDR’s for Your Time Dining. It’ll be printed on your S&S card. That’s the one you’ll dine at every night (if you want).

For example, last year aboard the Glory, we had YTD and were assigned the mid-ship MDR, deck 3, which is the lower level. We always ate on the lower level. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I read that on the Horizon, you can end up on either the upper or lower level of your assigned MDR. Is that right or will you still always be on the same deck?

Edited by Organized Chaos

We were always on the lower level for dinner.

We did the Dr. Seuss breakfast and that was in the Reflection dining room.

7 hours ago, beshears said:

Not sure what cruise lines you have sailed on in the past, but Carnival has had your time dining for at least 6 years if not longer. And you are correct that your time dining allows you to eat when you want between 5:45 PM and 9:30 PM. 

We did YTD on the transatlantic sailing last year. We varied the time each night and never had to wait for a table. Some nights we were on the upper level and some nights on the lower level of the Meridian restaurant. Some nights we asked for a table for two and other nights we just asked for two seats at a bigger table so we could meet new people. Great service, food and good company.

The pay restaurants were very popular, a lot of the sittings in the Steakhouse were booked up in advance. My personal favourite pay restaurant on Horizon is Ji Ji's, which also doubles up as the free to eat at lunch time Mongolian Wok.

10 minutes ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

We did YTD on the transatlantic sailing last year. We varied the time each night and never had to wait for a table. Some nights we were on the upper level and some nights on the lower level of the Meridian restaurant. Some nights we asked for a table for two and other nights we just asked for two seats at a bigger table so we could meet new people. Great service, food and good company.

The pay restaurants were very popular, a lot of the sittings in the Steakhouse were booked up in advance. My personal favourite pay restaurant on Horizon is Ji Ji's, which also doubles up as the free to eat at lunch time Mongolian Wok.

thanks, interesting post.  We are on the Radiance TA and I had not yet thought of rebooking the steakhouse and other popular for pay restaurants.  While we are in assigned seating in the MDR, the way you describe it on a TA does sound inviting. 

Hi Jimbo5544

We booked the Steakhouse on day two of the sailing and had to wait until towards the end of the second week for a reservation. We had no delays in booking any other of the pay restaurants but we did speak to a few people who couldn't book the Bonsai Teppenyaki restaurant onboard as it had all been booked in advance of the cruise.

One thing we noticed in the pay restaurants was a lot of the ship's crew eating therefore limiting the amount of tables for passengers. 

OK, yes I know the Your Time dining has been going on for at least 6 years or longer, but I have been cruising for over 25 years.

Am I understanding that your saying Your Time dining people ( they choose the time they want to eat, other than 6:15 and 8:15) can eat in the MDR?  When I go by the MDR restaurant at "any other time" other than 6:15 and 8:15, I don't see anyone eating there then?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand.

21 minutes ago, beshears said:

OK, yes I know the Your Time dining has been going on for at least 6 years or longer, but I have been cruising for over 25 years.

Am I understanding that your saying Your Time dining people ( they choose the time they want to eat, other than 6:15 and 8:15) can eat in the MDR?  When I go by the MDR restaurant at "any other time" other than 6:15 and 8:15, I don't see anyone eating there then?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand.

There are two MDR on the Horizon. The aft (Meridian?) both levels used for YTD. You check in on deck five at a desk not at the dining room entrance and they will tell you which level to go to, or check in on the App. Not sure if you can just go to the dining room and check in--probably.

Mid ship MDR (Reflections?) is used for set time dining.

OK, I believe I have it now.  Since there are two MDR's, one is for "set" (6:15 and 8:15) dining, the other is for YTD, which is "any time" you choose to eat. Both MDR being on two levels.

Years ago, there was no YTD, and there were two MDR's with the "set time", along with the paid restaurants.

10 minutes ago, beshears said:

OK, I believe I have it now.  Since there are two MDR's, one is for "set" (6:15 and 8:15) dining, the other is for YTD, which is "any time" you choose to eat. Both MDR being on two levels.

Years ago, there was no YTD, and there were two MDR's with the "set time", along with the paid restaurants.

Yep, that's right. Just check your S&S card to see which one you're assigned to. As has already been said, you can check in for Your Time Dining on deck 5 near the java cafe or by using the Hub app. I've also read that they still allow checking in the old way, by going to the front desk in the MDR. It's been a while since I saw that, though, so I'm not sure if it's still true.

On sea days, the Fun Times will tell you which one is serving sea day brunch. PhillyFan mentioned that on Horizon, sea day brunch will be in the aft MDR (Meridian).

27 minutes ago, beshears said:

To confirm what others have stated, Reflection (mid ship) is used for set dining time. I just looked at my S&S card from when we were on Horizon earlier this year. We had early dining and were at table 147 in the Reflection lower level MDR 

2 hours ago, beshears said:

What is your ultimate concern? Time, access?? 

OK, thank you for those that helped me get the room distinction cleared up, that has really helped. Cruizergal70, nothing really, other than I KNEW how the dining rooms were years ago, and now I see how they are on the Horizon now.