Cruise Critic Community
alleghator

Cheers Package conclusions

10 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

For the group that feel they might want more than the 15 alcoholic drinks, they need to have their bartender let them know when they get to about #13. Decide how much more drinking they are likely to do, and then pay cash for drinks until they are ready for their nightcap. They WILL let you pay cash for additional drinks if you have NOT reached #15, but will NOT sell you anymore after 15. One of the funky rules. Of course, they have the right to cut you off at less than 15 drinks, if you are are a loud, obnoxious drunk. 

This will likely be us...we really only drink excessively when with certain groups socially, just part of the party atmosphere and why we are all doing this cruise together. By the pool, I'll probably drink virgin coladas or seltzer and buy DH drinks so he  doesn't max his limit. While it sounds like this group is overindulgent, they actually are extremely fit and active, they just indulge when they party. That's the whole purpose of this cruise- to hang out together, have a blast, and not worry about the drive home!  We wouldn't buy the cheers package when on our own- but it makes perfect sense when we plan to overindulge. Thanks all for the clarification. Our last cruise as a group was on RCI where there wasn't a max number- and I can say that on sea days many reached over 20- especially since much of that is beer.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, mommyof3texans said:

I keep seeing references to buying discounted gift cards but only see references to AARP or some insurance company and I don't belong to either. Are there other avenues I am missing out on that I might qualify for? 

As for the Cheers package, I'm still on the fence for our 7-day cruise in February. I'll be going with my two sisters and both seem to think it's a good idea. Part of me thinks 5-6 drinks a day isn't that much over the course of the whole day and the other part wonders if I would spend $429 if I drank how I wanted (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).  

Ebay sometimes has sales on gift cards or coupon codes. I do Swagbucks (really casually these days, I used to do a lot more).  Depending on how much time you're willing to put in, you can get some "free" gift cards to be used to buy Carnival cards.  There are other similar sites, Swagbucks is just the one I use.  Sometimes, some of the gift card resale sites have Carnival cards- you can decide your comfort level using those.  If you go that route, just buy a new gift card right away.  

On 8/18/2019 at 9:19 AM, puppycanducruise said:

Thanks for posting your comments.

Sometimes, it's not about "breaking even" but being able to try new drinks without being concerned about the cost.  (as you mentioned)

Even if it costs you more in the end? Alleged convenience vs willful overspending? It's your money. 

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You can’t do this any more because of software changes they have made to their system. It used to be a loophole or funky rule as you mentioned, but the system no longer allows this. Additionally, you can never pay cash at any bar on a Carnival ship. 

Hmm, interesting change. How about the other thing I've seen done. When you buy a round for a group, your drink goes on Cheers, and their drinks go on your S&S card. Wonder if that would work for a group of friends. I've done it for the singer in the Piano Bar before. 

10 hours ago, leight said:

This will likely be us...we really only drink excessively when with certain groups socially, just part of the party atmosphere and why we are all doing this cruise together. By the pool, I'll probably drink virgin coladas or seltzer and buy DH drinks so he  doesn't max his limit. While it sounds like this group is overindulgent, they actually are extremely fit and active, they just indulge when they party. That's the whole purpose of this cruise- to hang out together, have a blast, and not worry about the drive home!  We wouldn't buy the cheers package when on our own- but it makes perfect sense when we plan to overindulge. Thanks all for the clarification. Our last cruise as a group was on RCI where there wasn't a max number- and I can say that on sea days many reached over 20- especially since much of that is beer.

Also, another idea that might help you is the couple of items that are NOT included by Cheers.

· Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets.

· Wine and champagne by the bottled (offered at 25% discount)

So the 101oz beer tube wouldn't count against your drink count, especially if you did it during lunch out by the pool or in the sports bar. Harder to get away with something like that right at the end of the night, when it's obvious what you are trying to do. 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:48 AM, Tom.Terrific said:

We don't purchase Cheers because by the end of the cruise, we wouldn't come close to breaking even.  We'd probably do pretty good the first few days but after that.... not so much.  

We'd much prefer Carnival sell a 10 drink prepaid package for $80 or so (plus gratuity of course).  I imagine we'd consume 5-6 of these during the course of a week, and then if there's drinks left over at the end.... we forfeit.  Are you listening Carnival???

That will never happen.  The purpose of Cheers is to offer an 'unlimited' type of program and not to offer discounted drinks.  A program like Cheers is priced based on averages.  They will have it broken down so they know the majority of passengers will consume 'X' number of drinks.  You then have outliers at both ends of the spectrum that will likely even each other out.  They will look at that overall average and price the plan accordingly so they still stay withing their desired profit margin.

Cheers is the way to go for us. On sea days we easily hit 15 each, port days are harder depending on the port but we get at least 6. 

On a sea day we wake up, go to the coffee shop, grab a fancy coffee and an energy drink. Head to breakfast, have a top shelf bloody Mary or two. While out and about have some drinks by the pool. Go to lunch and have a drink or two with it. Go do something else and have a drink or two At dinner we will have a drink or two. At the show we have a drink or two. Maybe go to the comedy club or piano bar and have a couple of drinks. I mean when you are talking about a sea day it is not hard to have a drink every hour you are awake. When I am not on a cruise I have less than 6 beers a week. It's a vacation and I want to be able to enjoy myself. If I didn't get the cheers package I would constantly be thinking about costs and wouldn't drink many drinks, and the drinks I did drink wouldn't be high quality. I know what a drink costs, it kills me when I see inflated prices. With cheers, its paid for, and I can have fancy drinks and not have to worry about carnivals markups. On our last cruise I got a glass of Hennessy in the steak house and the glass was huge, was awesome and brought good memories. Without cheers, I wouldn't have had that. My wife has issues with the juices they use on the cruise ship, so she cannot drink any of the daily drinks or the fruit mixed drinks, so she usually gets a shot of Roca Patron which they charge $16 a shot for.

We capitalize on the non-alcoholic drinks, we  get a coffee, energy drink, water, and a milk shake every day. Do I need a big fancy bottle of water at dinner, no, but cheers allows me to do so.

We are going to do cheers again on our October cruise. Hopefully this helps someone on the fence.