Equinox - After Captain Kate

NickPenn

I also do not pick cruises based on the top staff.  However, I would expect the Captain to make a daily message at noon.  I hope I am not the only one to pay attention and listen to the message.  I will get on the Equinox this Saturday, so I will see what this Captain does.

6 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I also do not pick cruises based on the top staff.  However, I would expect the Captain to make a daily message at noon.  I hope I am not the only one to pay attention and listen to the message.  I will get on the Equinox this Saturday, so I will see what this Captain does.

You will be disappointed because they do it at 10 AM.  🤗🙄👍.    Captain Demitri is the best for the announcement.  He always has some comical remark about the location.  He is one of the the best and the crew also likes him.   

We like all the Captains on X.  They are all great and have their own style.  

We always enjoy the “Liars Club”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I’m on the Equinox in March.  Do I care who the Captain is? Meh... as long as they get me from point A to point B safely.  I do find the Cruise Director a bigger deal as they often set the tone for fun and entertainment.

That said, get me on a nice ship with cold drinks and good food and I’ll be happy!

I have sailed more than 50 times on Celebrity.  I don't really care who the Captain is as it is always a good time.  That said, the couple of times we have sailed with Captain Kate the cruise was elevated from the usual very good to excellent.  It seemed like there just was a happier, more customer oriented atmosphere overall.  She was very visible, and in turn expected her staff to follow suit.  The communication was excellent, which is not always the case.  I believe the good manager of a company, department, or in this case vessel does indeed make a difference.  They set the tone, behave exceptionally, and therefore set an example and expectation overall.

Do I book by who the Captain is?  No way.  But is a sailing with Captain Kate a notch above the others?  IMHO yes (and I am just a regular, Elite+ passenger - did not get any special treatment because of being in a special suite or anything.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

the couple of times we have sailed with Captain Kate the cruise was elevated from the usual very good to excellent.  It seemed like there just was a happier, more customer oriented atmosphere overall.  She was very visible, and in turn expected her staff to follow suit.  The communication was excellent, which is not always the case.  I believe the good manager of a company, department, or in this case vessel does indeed make a difference.  They set the tone, behave exceptionally, and therefore set an example and expectation overall.

I've not had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Kate, but your observations regarding visibility, communication and setting the tone are spot on. I've had cruises where the officers have been invisible, including the captain, and the atmosphere has been palpably different.

• Like 2

We  had Capt Leo. Alex, Demetri, Kate and .... they have all been very good  and visible.  I think that Capt Kate stands because she is a female but the other Capt are always in the public areas when not on “duty” on the bridge.   Capt Leo told me that he loves being on a cruise ship instead of a cargo ship because he can interact with the passengers instead of looking at shipping containers 

The Captain is a bonus but what affects us the most is the CD.  Don’t want to mention any names but the worse for us was the female that always talked about her shoes and how busy she was the male that always mentioned his socks.   Both try to be a celebrity  and bigger that what they are instead of a CD.

if you complain to either about the entertainment, activities, or noise level they claim that they don’t have any control as it comes from the main office. if you praise something they take credit and say they are responsible  for everything except the production shows.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

Yes, but do they really prefer it or have they been told they prefer it! 🤔

I am sure they prefer to be called by their first name rather than suffer us attempting to pronounce their surnames...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

But I have a question for y'all.  Are Mr Chew & I the only ones who think it's kind of juvenile or even a tad disrespectful to call the Captains "Captain First Name" rather than "Captain Last Name" ??  These are professionals who have worked long & hard to get where they are.  We have met so many people on board who think that they are very close personal friends of the captain, just because they are on a first-name basis.  So … just wondering … 

No. I don't think it's disrespectful to these Captains.  I think it's appropriate to follow the lead of the CD who usually introduces the Captains.   If the CD introduces the Captains by their first name on occasion, then I believe the Captain is fine with the first name.  At least for Captains Leo, Johnny and Kate the CD often uses the first name.  As long as the name starts with "Captain" I think it carries the appropriate level of respect.

15 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

Can I ask? Where is Captain Kate headed next?

I sailed the Edge in early July and Captain Kate was on board a couple of nights.  While I'm not exactly sure what they were doing, I did see them set up cameras for filming.  They closed off the Martini Bar area for a few hours as well as the Magic Carpet one evening and were set up like a movie set.  My assumption is they are going to heavily market The Edge with some new material and Captain Kate will be a part of that.    I guess we'll find out soon enough.  

On another note.  I sailed Equinox last August and absolutely loved Captain Kate.  I usually don't care who the captain is, but she just brought a different personality (at some times quirky) which I appreciated.  She seems to have established a bit of a following with almost 83K followers on instagram so I guess it makes sense to use her in some marketing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakebloke said:

I sailed the Edge in early July and Captain Kate was on board a couple of nights.  While I'm not exactly sure what they were doing, I did see them set up cameras for filming.  They closed off the Martini Bar area for a few hours as well as the Magic Carpet one evening and were set up like a movie set.  My assumption is they are going to heavily market The Edge with some new material and Captain Kate will be a part of that.    I guess we'll find out soon enough.  

On another note.  I sailed Equinox last August and absolutely loved Captain Kate.  I usually don't care who the captain is, but she just brought a different personality (at some times quirky) which I appreciated.  She seems to have established a bit of a following with almost 83K followers on instagram so I guess it makes sense to use her in some marketing.  

We were on the Summit a couple of years ago and Captain Kate was so personable and I actually enjoyed some of her "lame" jokes!

On 8/20/2019 at 3:40 PM, miched said:

You will be disappointed because they do it at 10 AM.  🤗🙄👍.    Captain Demitri is the best for the announcement.  He always has some comical remark about the location.  He is one of the the best and the crew also likes him.   

We like all the Captains on X.  They are all great and have their own style.  You are right about his announcement.  They also seem to get better each day.

We always enjoy the “Liars Club”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Would prefer noon, but I am glad that he does one.

32 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Would prefer noon, but I am glad that he does one.

What is it you want to know/learn from these announcements? 

Was on MSC recently, Captain went on and on about sea depth, Lat/Long coordinates, etc..I found it useless. 

29 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What is it you want to know/learn from these announcements? 

Was on MSC recently, Captain went on and on about sea depth, Lat/Long coordinates, etc..I found it useless. 

And yet there are people who find that kind of information interesting. Expected weather and sea conditions for the next 24 hrs. Current location and course, nearest point of land if at sea. Some people don't care, and that's fine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

WHAT? Equinox is sailing still- without Capt. Kate at the helm- I would have thought they send her for scrap to Alang...!

Lol! I had the same reaction when I saw the title “Equinox after Captain Kate” - as if it’s the end of all things. So absurd. 

Edited by florisdekort

floris- what a great cruise history- just great! I hope nobody get´s me wrong- I just don´t get the hype about dear Capt. Kate. My favorite Captain was Dimitrios Kafetzis- great humor! I never had the pleasure to sail with Capt. Kate at the helm and I am not sure i ever will- since I changed cruise lines a few years ago ( Cunard mostly) - I turn back to X from time to time though! They are still a few steps ahead of all the mass markt cruise lines!

Cunards ships are different- all of them- but esp. my favorite ship out there- QM2

On 8/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, swigso said:

I have sailed many times on celebrity and could not care less who was sailing us 

why the fuss ?

I just do not get it 

I totally agree! I sailed with Captain Kate last September and did not get the hoopla. I was impressed that there was a female captain but that is it. She was more like a celebrity and honestly, it became quite annoying with all the cloying over her, 

I sailed 2x with the summit with her as captain and saw her 1x with the other officers at the end of the ramp in st. Thomas. Same joke both times about locating her keys in which pocketbook, Confucius daily saying. We were both times in an inside and new to celebrity so I doubted we would run into her. I honestly could have cared less. The only reason people fawn over her is because she is an attractive young female and is used for marketing. The advantage is she is good at her job but truthfully if she looked like jabba the hut and was the first female American captain with the jokes, visibility and staff motivation, no one would care.

• Like 1