Cruise Critic Community

Hi All,

Taking my first Crystal voyage in December. I’ve read their dress code and a bunch of the posts in here, but there never seems to be a good consensus on jeans. 

On non-BTO nights, are they allowed in Waterside and other venues?  And when I say jeans, I mean designer jeans, appropriately fancy, no holes, the same type I’d wear out to fancy NYC dinners. 

Curious on everybody’s opinion since the dress code seems silent on it. 

Thanks!

You'll get a variety of opinions, but the bottom line is that jeans are OK. Let the discussion begin! 🤓

Patty

Thanks so much for the prompt answers!  I figured they were ok and it’s mainly personal preference of others not wanting to see them. 

Whether or not anyone likes it, a fair few passengers do wear jeans to dinner on non-BTO nights.

I don't think I've ever seen beaten-up, holey jeans in Waterside; quite often the jeans are of the designer variety and probably cost more than the slacks that most passengers wear to dinner.

how severe is the dress code enforced on bto nights for men?  can slacks and a nice sweater be acceptable?  how optional is the word "optional"?  i think it's great for some folks to dress to the nines, but not all of us want to bring the extra clothing for one or two bto nights and some of us just aren't that into dressing up.  are all specialty restaurants off limits to non tie/jacket guests on bto nights?

thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

1 minute ago, USC Adventurer said:

how severe is the dress code enforced on bto nights for men?  can slacks and a nice sweater be acceptable?  how optional is the word "optional"?  i think it's great for some folks to dress to the nines, but not all of us want to bring the extra clothing for one or two bto nights and some of us just aren't that into dressing up.  are all specialty restaurants off limits to non tie/jacket guests on bto nights?

thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

The answer is it depends who is doing the enforcing but in general.

In Prego, Umi Uma and at Waterside they ask that that guests dress in BTO attire which for men if they don't go with a suit or tuxedo would be a sports jacket, dress shirt (tie optional) and dress pants.  At Waterside if you came in with a sweater and slacks while you would be in the minority they "likely" would seat you.  Often if you did that in Prego or Umi Uma they would ask you if you could change to a sports jacket and in many cases I have seen them turn guests away.  Now I am sure someone will post to say they got in or someone in Prego or Umi Uma and I am sure that is true but I am saying more often than not I have seen people turned away.

As to Silk and Churrascaria while they too officially have the same dress code as do the other restaurants they will seat you if you came in with a sweater and slacks.

They do ask that guests keep to the official BTO attire when going to public areas on the ship such as the lounges and the shows.  Will anyone throw you out?  No.

Keith

so, where do you eat if you don't do bto?  and you don't do the specialty restaurants?  i'm not familiar with the dining situation because i'm booked on a cruise but have never been on crystal before.

6 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Whether or not anyone likes it, a fair few passengers do wear jeans to dinner on non-BTO nights.

I don't think I've ever seen beaten-up, holey jeans in Waterside; quite often the jeans are of the designer variety and probably cost more than the slacks that most passengers wear to dinner.

We left the Serenity ;last week.  Jeans with shirts out where frequently worn in Waterside --- although a number of men wore jackets on casual nights.  We did see at several ladies wearing expensive jeans with pre-ripped holes in Waterside on two evenings.  

36 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

so, where do you eat if you don't do bto?  and you don't do the specialty restaurants?

Options would be:

Churrascaria 

Silk

Your room and ordering room service which could be from Waterside if it were open at that time

But how hard is it to bring a jacket along for BTO night?

I kind of like the analogy someone used a while ago. If your best friends' child was getting married and the invite specified jacket with/without tie, would you still show up in a sweater?? Think of Crystal's dress request as that wedding. And as Terry said, how hard is it to pack a jacket! And please don't trot out the old canard about paying for an extra suitcase. If you can afford to book on Crystal, you can afford an extra suitcase!

to answer your comment, i would probably wear a sweater and slacks and if that wasn't good enough for the wedding, i wouldn't go.  

9 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

to answer your comment, i would probably wear a sweater and slacks and if that wasn't good enough for the wedding, i wouldn't go.  

Perhaps you've provided yourself with a clue as to your potential participation in a Crystal cruise.  And if you really want to beat on this poor dead horse of a topic, I suggest you search on "Crystal dress code." You'll find enough of this same back-and-forth to occupy you for a good long while.

None of which will settle the matter.  Please do wear a clean sweater.

6 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

so, where do you eat if you don't do bto?  and you don't do the specialty restaurants?  i'm not familiar with the dining situation because i'm booked on a cruise but have never been on crystal before.

If you don't want to wear a sports jacket on a BTO night (keep in mind there are very few BTO nights on the average cruise) you can eat at the casual restaurant which I mentioned earlier; Churrascaria.  Since I would recommend trying each restaurant just save your visit to this one for a BTO night.  Another option even though it is a specialty restaurant is Silk where once again the BTO attire is not enforced.  If this was a restaurant you wanted to try at some point during the cruise this is another good option on BTO night.  Finally, as someone recommended another option is room service.  With room service and two of the five restaurants not enforcing BTO attire there are certainly lots of options for someone not wanting to bring a sports jacket with them.

Keith

8 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Perhaps you've provided yourself with a clue as to your potential participation in a Crystal cruise.  And if you really want to beat on this poor dead horse of a topic, I suggest you search on "Crystal dress code." You'll find enough of this same back-and-forth to occupy you for a good long while.

None of which will settle the matter.  Please do wear a clean sweater.

Exactly.  There is enough on this if you use the search feature --- or just check the Crystal web page where the dress requirements are quite clear.  I just wear a blazer on the plane making taking an extra suitcase mute.  Recently a friend crushed Carnival (one and done) where the dress code on formal nights required pants rather than shorts.  There are always options.

i'm happy to know you've provided me with many options.  i'm sure i'll be fine and won't go hungry on a bto night!

On 8/18/2019 at 7:48 PM, USC Adventurer said:

This is the attitude on all the mass market cruise lines I've frequented. I'm going on Crystal because I'm hoping the attitude displayed above is left at the pier.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, USC Adventurer said:

Sounds like you like to challenge the guidelines.

Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, USC Adventurer said:

Charming! Gives a whole new meaning to the term "self-absorbed"! 🤨

Edited by Roland4

52 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

This is the attitude on all the mass market cruise lines I've frequented. I'm going on Crystal because I'm hoping the attitude displayed above is left at the pier.

Mostly it is. 🙂

9 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

to the last four posters and you know who you are:

i was wondering how long it would take for the mean and name calling responses to show up here and you four didn't disappoint.  if someone can conform to your ideas, then instead of respecting their decisions, you all just need to call them names.  why don't you all just give it a rest and let it go. 

your posts reflect the small minded mass market cruisers that you don't think you are but you are one of them.  i hope i don't meet any of you on my crystal cruise.

I think you will find that by in large, Crystal cruisers are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. The problem you are having is that you are post "standards" and some of the rest of us aren't. Who's right? Neither group will ever change their minds. Are you right, you think so, are they right, I think so. All will have a wonderful cruise.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, Paulatmich said:

Hi All,

Taking my first Crystal voyage in December. I’ve read their dress code and a bunch of the posts in here, but there never seems to be a good consensus on jeans. 

On non-BTO nights, are they allowed in Waterside and other venues?  And when I say jeans, I mean designer jeans, appropriately fancy, no holes, the same type I’d wear out to fancy NYC dinners. 

Curious on everybody’s opinion since the dress code seems silent on it. 

Thanks!

This was a simple question requiring a simple answer. I for the life of me don’t understand why the clothes question always turns political. I like ‘Cool Cruiser’ come from So. Ca.  Do we have less class? Maybe, maybe not. More money. Maybe, maybe not. Are we a little self absorb? Probably. Are we more casual? For sure! I’ve been to weddings in Malibu costing in the 6 figures and not a jacket to be found. Somehow I can’t image that happening in the middle of NY. Please keep in mind everyone has different backgrounds and standards are personal, not to be projected on others.

By some of the responses on this post, it seems to me that Crystal cruisers are probably not more or less nicer than other cruisers.

Like they say opinions are like ^$#^*&()s, everyone has one. Doesn’t mean we have to show it.  

13 minutes ago, francot said:

This was a simple question requiring a simple answer. I for the life of me don’t understand why the clothes question always turns political. I like ‘Cool Cruiser’ come from So. Ca.  Do we have less class? Maybe, maybe not. More money. Maybe, maybe not. Are we a little self absorb? Probably. Are we more casual? For sure! I’ve been to weddings in Malibu costing in the 6 figures and not a jacket to be found. Somehow I can’t image that happening in the middle of NY. Please keep in mind everyone has different backgrounds and standards are personal, not to be projected on others.

By some of the responses on this post, it seems to me that Crystal cruisers are probably not more or less nicer than other cruisers.

Like they say opinions are like ^$#^*&()s, everyone has one. Doesn’t mean we have to show it.  

Political????????

No jacket wedding? Sure, don't wear a jacket, but a sweater on BTO when guidelines clearly state and request at least a jacket? I see a disconnect here...just looks like someone flaunting his independence "no one is going to tell me what to wear".