Bioluminescent Bay when docked in San Juan

Melody7

I will be in San Juan for the first time when the NCL Encore docks during my cruise this upcoming April. We're in Port from only 5:30pm til midnight. I am an outdoorsy person and love once-in-a-lifetime experiences. If I were to take an excursion to the bioluminescent bay, it would take the entire time that I have in port.

Has anyone kayaked the bioluminescent bays? Does the time of year that you visit matter in terms of microorganism activity? Is this something that's worth doing, especially if I know if like to go back to San Juan , PR in the future?

Thanks for any advice or experiences you can share!

I'm hoping to learn more too.  I read that low light is best for seeing the bioluminescence; for example a new moon will not give off as much light as a full moon.  Our ship temporarily had a ship excursion listed, then not listed.  Hopefully they list it again.  While usually comfortable doing things on my own, I also read the closest bioluminescent bay if still far and would be tight on time -- therefore we prefer a ship excursion.

There are more than one operators for the Bio Bay tours so even if the ship has contract with one of them, you could still be able to tour with another company. The best nights to see the dinoflagellates is when there's little to no moonlight. If there's a full moon out, I wouldn't even bother. The operators usually have transportation available to/from the pier. It's about 1 hour each way to Fajardo, where the activity takes place so, you should have time to come and go with your schedule. That said, I'd search for "Fajardo bio bay tours" and try to contact the operators to explain your schedule in order to find out if they are able to have you back on time.

I've researched this too because we are in port 1530 to 2300

1. From what i have found out, the ship DOES NOT offer excursions thru them.

2. There are Kayak tours and Electric boat tours; depending if you want exercise or let the boat do the work

3. The ride to Fajardo is about 90 minutes; you can rent a car, uber or taxi

4.  Tours start at either 1800, 1930, or 2100; depends on the operator

5.  Mosquitos are a big issue

• 1 month later...

From my research, when I am there (and they do have a ship-sponsored excursion, or else I wouldn't risk the long trip there and back with such little time in port), there will be a half moon, but it should set around 6:30pm, so there should be no moonlight!

• 2 weeks later...

Which operators have you found to have transportation there and back? I haven't found one and since the ship (encore) isn't offering the excursion, I don't want to risk the 90 minute trip there and back. I'm really disappointed because this is what I wanted to do while in port.