Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ken the cruiser

Which Princess ships are their most classiest?

Recommended Posts

We're in our mid 60s and over the past 7 years and 400+ days on a variety of cruise lines, we're finding Princess offers many of the things we have come to enjoy on a cruise. For example, we find ourselves enjoying cruise lengths between 21 - 35 days. We're also finding more sea days on a cruise is a positive rather than a negative as long as there is a variety of fun things to do, professional lectures to attend and a promenade to walk around. We enjoy having a balcony, a comfortable bed and a sofa, enough space not to feel overcrowded and a quality internet connection in the cabin. But most importantly, we enjoy the fact when compared with the other cruise lines we've sailed, Princess also offers a very fair price for what we get along with being able to pre-book excursions using our military and shareholder benefits OBC. 

 

So far we'd sailed on the Diamond and Crown and have future cruises booked on the Island, Grand and Coral, all in mini-suite or vista cabins. But we also know Princess has a lot more ships with different designs and character to explore. With that in mind we'd like to ask folks which Princess cruise ships they enjoy the most and why. Hopefully, with your added input we'll be able to pick future Princess cruises on some of their more preferred classy ships.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the ships you mention are part of the "Grand" Class of Princess ships.  This design has been around for about 20 years and defines a majority of the Princess vessels.  That design has now been replaced by the much newer "Royal Class" which represents the newest vessels (Royal, Regal, Majestic) with 2 more coming in the next year.  I will ignore the few older vessels which are no longer as popular in the US market.  The new Royal class vessels are gorgeous but do have some unpopular issues such as smaller balconies and the lack of a wrap around Promanade.  Personally I do not think one design or ship is "classier" then the others.  For us, the real class on any ship is defined by the passengers and crew which really can make or break any cruise vacation.

 

Many Princess fans do have their favorite ship but even those folks seem to have difficulty defining why.  Personally I preferred the first few Grand Class ships (Grand, Golden, etc) because they had an all-weather pool (retractable roof).   I say this even though our next two Princess cruises (Caribbean and Emerald) do not have the all weather pool feature.  We choose our cruises based on itinerary with the knowledge that every ship we have cruised (I think its over 70 different vessels) had its pros and cons.  I should add that many of us long time cruisers (we go back to the 70s) might say that the classiest ships were mostly older vessels...now gone.  My personal favorite was HAL's Prinsendam (recently sold to a German cruise line) which was old, worn in many places, had its share of rust, did not have many of the amenities found on newer/larger ships, but she was a special vessel to many who walked on her decks.  Some of our Princess fan friends put the original Royal Princess (now long gone) into a similar classier class.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have two cruises with Princess.  Emerald and Caribbean, and Sky next fall.  I say whatever ship I am on is the best. I enjoy being at sea and traveling to different locations with my wife.  Nothing on a ship is that special; as to make me book a cruise for that one feature.  Itinerary and time of year dictates where we choose to go; not the ship.  sorry can't answer your specific question.  Have fun on your next cruise.  Both Emerald and Caribbean were great ships and the crews were excellent.  

Edited by AF-1
added txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, the Royal and the Regal. Most of the Grand Class ships are just about identical, they are all fine ships but not as classy as the Royal and Regal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My choice is the Sapphire, one less deck of passengers, covered pool, smaller Dining rooms. But to be honest where and when the ship sails will always win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the passenger set that gives the ship class.  I would imagine any of the Princess ships would be enhanced with your presence. Pacific Princess reminds me of classic sailing more than any of the other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royal and Regal and other ships of similar design do not have walkable, sheltered promenade decks.  So, for those of us who treasure promenade decks, the Royal and Regal are not worthy of consideration.

 

Grand class and Coral are great for walking promenades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After 18 Princess cruises we’re sailing on Pacific Princess this spring.  From what I’ve read she harkens back to earlier times, with about 650 passengers in well-appointed facilities and a warmly welcoming crew.

Edited by LoriPhil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone you your thoughts and insights. So far we have enjoyed all of our Princess cruises as well as those we've taken on other lines. But as of late, Princess is really starting to stand out in a multitude of ways for us. We were really impressed with the MedallionNet internet service we used on our recent UK cruise on the Crown, especially when I was using it on our balcony during prime time. We also enjoyed the fact we didn't get heartburn once on our 12 day cruise where it was a common occurrence on the Oceania cruises we've recently been on. I guess rich food just doesn't agree with us. And then I can't think of any cruise line we've been on where the CD had 6 assistants, all comedians in their own right!!

 

Hank, you also motivated me to make this chart listing all of the Princess ships with some associated data I found via Ms Google. Hopefully it's all close to being correct. For what it's worth the Berlitz ratings were as of the 2016 version my DW has on her iPad. 

 

Ship

Class

Capacity

Crew

Age

Refurb

Prom

Tons

Berlitz

Sun

Sun

2,000

924

1995

7/18

Yes

77

1408

Sea

Sun

2,000

910

1998

11/17

Yes

77

1414

Grand

Grand

2,600

1,150

1998

3/19

Yes

107

1417

Golden

Grand

2,600

1,100

2001

4/18

Yes

108

1420

Star

Grand

2,600

1,100

2002

12/17

Yes

108

1417

Pacific

R Class

670

375

2003

6/19

No

30

1442

Coral

Coral

2,000

895

2003

1/19

Yes

91

1439

Island

Coral

2,200

900

2003

12/17

Yes

92

1437

Diamond

Gem

2,670

1,100

2004

2/19

Yes

115

1448

Sapphire

Gem

2,670

1,100

2004

3/18

Yes

115

1437

Caribbean

Caribbean

3,140

1,200

2004

5/19

Yes

112

1430

Crown

Crown

3,080

1,200

2006

4/18

Yes

113

1427

Emerald

Crown

3,080

1,200

2007

4/19

Yes

113

1442

Ruby

Crown

3,080

1,200

2008

10/18

Yes

113

1434

Royal

Royal

3,560

1,346

2013

12/18

No

142

1528

Regal

Royal

3,560

1,346

2014

 

No

142

1527

Majestic

Royal

3,560

1,346

2017

 

No

143

 

Sky

Royal

3,660

1,346

2019

 

No

 

 

Enchanted

Royal

3,660

1,346

2020

 

No

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoriPhil said:

After 18 Princess cruises we’re sailing on Pacific Princess this spring.  From what I’ve read she harkens back to earlier times, with about 650 passengers in well-appointed facilities and a warmly welcoming crew.

We've sailed on Oceania's Nautica and Sirena, both sister R-class ships to the Pacific, and really enjoyed our cruises, especially when we could dine outside up at their (Terrace Café) lido deck. Hopefully there are similar places on the Pacific as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

IMHO, the Royal and the Regal. Most of the Grand Class ships are just about identical, they are all fine ships but not as classy as the Royal and Regal.

We just booked a 21 day family Med cruise on the Enchanted Princess for Jul 2021, and are really looking forward to cruising on a new ship!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're in our mid 60s and over the past 7 years and 400+ days on a variety of cruise lines, we're finding Princess offers many of the things we have come to enjoy on a cruise. For example, we find ourselves enjoying cruise lengths between 21 - 35 days. We're also finding more sea days on a cruise is a positive rather than a negative as long as there is a variety of fun things to do, professional lectures to attend and a promenade to walk around. We enjoy having a balcony, a comfortable bed and a sofa, enough space not to feel overcrowded and a quality internet connection in the cabin. But most importantly, we enjoy the fact when compared with the other cruise lines we've sailed, Princess also offers a very fair price for what we get along with being able to pre-book excursions using our military and shareholder benefits OBC. 

 

So far we'd sailed on the Diamond and Crown and have future cruises booked on the Island, Grand and Coral, all in mini-suite or vista cabins. But we also know Princess has a lot more ships with different designs and character to explore. With that in mind we'd like to ask folks which Princess cruise ships they enjoy the most and why. Hopefully, with your added input we'll be able to pick future Princess cruises on some of their more preferred classy ships.

 

 

 

Is classiest even a word?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my favourite princess ships would be the grand class ships for one main reason.  i only book the aft mini-suites on the starboard side.  ex. e729, e731.   those are great cabins for me.  everything else about princess is wonderful especially the pub lunches 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our favorite ship is the Sapphire Princess, although we haven't sailed on it since it moved Down Under. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

my favourite princess ships would be the grand class ships for one main reason.  i only book the aft mini-suites on the starboard side.  ex. e729, e731.   those are great cabins for me.  everything else about princess is wonderful especially the pub lunches 🙂

We saw those and would definitely book one of those too if they were available as we definitely prefer a covered balcony over an uncovered one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We've sailed on Oceania's Nautica and Sirena, both sister R-class ships to the Pacific, and really enjoyed our cruises, especially when we could dine outside up at their (Terrace Café) lido deck. Hopefully there are similar places on the Pacific as well.

Aft of the the buffet (deck 9) on the Pacific Princess is a partially covered outdoor area with tables and chairs according to the deck plan  (https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=PA).  We will have our first cruise on it in October 2020 but we were on her sister ship (the old Royal Princess) ten years ago and enjoyed that area very much.  Here's a picture from Google:

image.png.fa18e3160fb3a8adf87a42a209238e9d.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MixerDave said:

 

Is classiest even a word?

 

Yes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MixerDave said:

 

Is classiest even a word?

 

Except as classiest is a superlative you do not say "most classiest".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, brisalta said:

 

Except as classiest is a superlative you do not say "most classiest".

You are correct. Thank you so much for pointing this out. If I had the capability to correct the title of my thread, I would remove "most" from the title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been on the Golden 3X, the Crown once, the Coral once and the Regal once.

Our favorite is the Regal because it is an updated classy version of the Golden minus

Skywalker's. However, we love Skywalker's on the Golden and the Crown because of the fabulous

private time and views. The Regal offers a fabulous Horizon Court. 

We did not care for the Coral, actually because of its size and no aft balconies. The Horizon Court

was at the front of the ship and because it was a Panama Canal cruise, the windows were usually

fogged over offering no views. And the windows were slanted; not a great design in our opinion.

The Golden Crown, and Regal were much more open; never seemed crowded when the Coral actually did.

Note: Many people love the Coral- not us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first cruise with Princess was on the Dawn Princess. For me the Dawn Princess is the most ‘’Classiest.” 

My Rowboat is the most Classiest rowboat 😁.

 

1029FA62-3CF5-4F26-9EDD-8BAB264A013E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...