Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
MouseBerry

Another inconsistency on disembarkation (MDR bar closed)

Hi,

had disembarkation from MS Rotterdam this morning and discovered an inconsistency between our two cruises regarding availability of coffee specialties and water and usage of our beverage package:

Koningsdam this June during breakfast on morning of disembarkation day we could order coffee specialities and bottled water and use our QBP as it was possible every day.

Rotterdam August we could not get coffee specialities and bottled water as we were told the bar has already been closed. We would understand that it is not possible to buy extras as the onboard account is already closed, but the beverage package should be usable.

We have to mention that we were in the latest disembarkation group and had breakfast quite late. But this was the same situation on both cruises. 

Not a big deal, but we were surprised as we planned to get bottled water for our way home.

Note: We liked the Rotterdam more than the Koningsdam. And the possibility to use the cabin until moment of disembarkation is a very nice touch. We feel a little less „rushed“ off the boat.

Just a question to the experienced HAL cruisers: if one books a B2B cruise, would he suffer from same limitations (e.g. breakfast at MDR until 8am only, bars closed etc.) at the end if the first leg? 

regards

MBerry

7 minutes ago, MouseBerry said:

Hi,

had disembarkation from MS Rotterdam this morning and discovered an inconsistency between our two cruises regarding availability of coffee specialties and water and usage of our beverage package:

Koningsdam this June during breakfast on morning of disembarkation day we could order coffee specialities and bottled water and use our QBP as it was possible every day.

Rotterdam August we could not get coffee specialities and bottled water as we were told the bar has already been closed. We would understand that it is not possible to buy extras as the onboard account is already closed, but the beverage package should be usable.

We have to mention that we were in the latest disembarkation group and had breakfast quite late. But this was the same situation on both cruises. 

Not a big deal, but we were surprised as we planned to get bottled water for our way home.

Note: We liked the Rotterdam more than the Koningsdam. And the possibility to use the cabin until moment of disembarkation is a very nice touch. We feel a little less „rushed“ off the boat.

Just a question to the experienced HAL cruisers: if one books a B2B cruise, would he suffer from same limitations (e.g. breakfast at MDR until 8am only, bars closed etc.) at the end if the first leg? 

regards

MBerry

I’ve had both beverage cards and the SBP and both ceased to operate late the night before disembarkation (I believe the time is midnight but I don’t want to swear to it).

Perhaps the Koningsdam has an improved system?  Not sure but your experience on the Rotterdam mirrored ours on our sailings.

For your B2B, you will have to abide by the breakfast hours for those that need to disembark or alternatively, you can do room service.  HAL does offer room service on disembarkation morning.

I can’t recall on the specialty coffees and water as we didn’t need it.  But, yes, I would expect them to be closed temporarily until everyone that has to has disembarked.  What I have done (if I thought I needed it) was to get a couple bottles of water the night before and pop them in my fridge. 

Kind of off topic but we do the happy hour the night before and get 2 bottles of water.  We've actually gone to breakfast in the MDR and been locked out of our room on return.  Had to get steward to let us in to collect our carry off luggage.

The SBP ceases to be valid when the last bar onboard closes the night before disembarkation.  That could be midnight, 11 PM or even 1:00 AM.   Not sure about the Quench package, as we have never had it.   On most HAL ships, you cannot get any bar services on the morning of disembarkation, and that includes specialty coffees, and bottled water.   

Hi,

well usually we took bottled water every evening. We missed this on the last evening and expected to get one in the MDR during breakfast. This was possible on our first cruise ob the Koningsdam and we assumed this to be HAL standard.

The regular coffee in MDR on MS Rotterdam was ok. Again, no big problem at all.

Just wanted to mention that one should not expect HAL rules are the same on each HAL ship. The HAL ships seems to be  little kingdoms!

By the way: How do you know when bars/lounges will close? On our last cruise the when&where indicated „open until late“. Maybe this means until the last guest has left the bar. 

regards

MBerry

On all the back-to-back or Collector Cruises, we have had to abide by the rules on turn-around day.  Breakfast is early for everyone.  After all the ship has to get ready for the next group of passengers.