IRONS IN THE ROOM

The ticket contract also refers you to the website, and of course they reserve the right to add anything they want to add at any time.  Security not finding something is not the same thing as it being allowed.  The port security go by what they get told to go by.  It would improve everyone's experience if people didn't show up with items that are clearly not allowed on board hoping that it won't be discovered.

21 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

As I said we take a travel steamer always and do not hide it is always seen by the security personal as it is on top in my carry on.  What you need to do as everyone should do is READ YOUR CRUISE DOCUMENTS (contract) sent out to us by Celebrity just before our cruises. The contract clearly lists the rules and clearly states all banned items guess what steamers are not listed. It is very clear!  Maybe they just added steamers to the list of banned items if so I will not bring one but I doubt it. The web site does not RULE but your documents (contract) does review it before you leave if steamers have been added leave it at home. Anyone who has used a steamer knows they are very safe and no more a fire hazard than most other electrical devices we use everyday in life.

Sorry, but you are wrong.  Please re-read your contract.  Steamers are NOT allowed.  I hope no one reads your post and assumes that it's okay to bring their steamer onboard.

8 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I leave on Equinox on Saturday so I pulled up my cruise docs and looked at the contract.  Here is the wording, yes it does exclude steamers.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas, Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors* , Illegal Drugs & Substances , Candles & Incense, Coff ee Makers, Clothes Irons/Steamers & Hot Plates , Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows, Skateboards & Surfboards, Martial Arts Gear, Self-Defense Gear, including handcuff s, pepper spray and night sticks, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fl uid and fi reworks, HAM Radios, Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint; Alcoholic Beverages**; Hookah Pipes.*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

Thanks my last cruise was September 2018 and steamers were not listed. Darn will not bring one, will have to pay for ironing service!

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, but you are wrong.  Please re-read your contract.  Steamers are NOT allowed.  I hope no one reads your post and assumes that it's okay to bring their steamer onboard.

No my post said read your contract and if banned leave it at home!

29 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

The contract clearly lists the rules and clearly states all banned items guess what steamers are not listed. It is very clear!  Maybe they just added steamers to the list of banned items if so I will not bring one but I doubt it.

You are quite right, it was added to the list sometime between 2016, when steamers weren't included in my edocs prohibited list, and 2018. From my 2018 cruise documents section on prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas, Sharp Objects,

including knives and scissors* , Illegal Drugs & Substances , Candles

& Incense, Coff ee Makers, Clothes Irons/Steamers & Hot Plates

, Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows,

Skateboards & Surfboards, Martial Arts Gear, Self-Defense Gear,

including handcuff s, pepper spray and night sticks, Flammable

Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fl uid and fi reworks, HAM

Radios, Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint; Alcoholic

Beverages**; Hookah Pipes.

I have not needed to use my Downy Wrinkle Release spray since I started packing my clothes 3 items in each plastic bag from the dry cleaners. 

I pack the old Delta Airlines way. 

Lay one bag of three items with the top portion in the suitcase and the rest lying across the lid. 

The next one goes hangers in and the rest off the side of the case. 

Third group hangers in and the rest out in front of the case and fourth out the other side. 

I keep the layers going till I have them all stacked in opposite directions. 

Then I fold one in, then the next, going clockwise around the suitcase till they’re all in. 

I can stuff my suitcase so it bulges, and my clothes don’t wrinkle!

i take my Downy just in case but haven’t used it in several years. 

The other benefit is that it take less than five minutes to hang everything in the closet. 

The rules clearly states no steamers in numerous places. Someone wants to bring it and have it confiscated that’s their choice. I have better things to do on a cruise than go to the naughty room and Waste my time. Some people you just can’t get through to. By the way they are not only a fire hazard but also an electrical overload issue.

I find that packing my clothes between layers of tissue paper helps keep out the creases.  It sounds silly to some to go to all that apparent bother.  But I find it helps slow down my packing just long enough to make me ask:  Do I need all these items?

When I’m cruising in the Caribbean, I don’t worry so much about wrinkles.  It’s a beach paradise, for heaven’s sake!  Who cares at the beach?!  In Europe, however, on tours of galleries and famous places, I prefer to be more put-together out of respect for the places and people there.

Each to his/her own!

After reading through this thread I am no longer bewildered by the number of things in the naughty room, and at airport TSA stations. Some folks just don't believe the rules apply to them.....shaking my head. OP asked a question, but others, who ought to know better just don't like the answers, and decide to break the rules, which are in place for a reason.

Looks like it is best to leave linen and cotton clothing at home, unless it has a good pattern to hide the wrinkles, but it is a lot easier to just bring wrinkle-free clothes.

Steaming in the bathroom with the shower running also works, as does a flat-iron or other permissible hair implements, as long as you have the patience.

This is one area where Carnival owned lines (Princess, Cunard, HAL, Carnival) tend to score some points by having laundromats with irons.... not that I want to spend significant time on a cruise doing laundry, but if you have a few things you need quickly washed without waiting a day or two, it can be handy.

Azamara, part of the same group as Celebrity has a wonderful self service laundry 

with iron and ironing board.    We found it very civilized and they also honored our Captains Club Level so we received perks.  Azamara always include standard beverages and all gratuities.