Oasis Refurb

12 hours ago, OACAggie said:

How are they able to add so many new cabins with regards to life boat occupancy?

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

They had extra capacity in the lifeboats.

I believe that they still need to limit the total number of passengers on the ship. In other words, they can't fill every cabin to capacity, but they can now sell more cabins at double occupancy which presumably means more revenue overall. My guess is that the typical passenger count won't change very much after the new cabins are added.

Our last best guess was that they were adding 50 new cabins give or take a few, so at double occupancy that's about another 100 people. They could offset that if necessary by reducing the number of triple and quadruple occupancy bookings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

But then they have to move the outdoor area to the middle... I don´t see that there is enough space for it.

steamboats

Maybe they will? The press images include the concept for the teen space which looks like it is still underneath the Windjammer. We will just need to wait and see exactly where they put it. 

5DE77B44-011E-4973-A3E5-4B78F51D1B64.jpeg.1fae67ca621cee59a5872fbe7d6266d7.jpeg

http://m.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/image/5051/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

I believe that they still need to limit the total number of passengers on the ship. In other words, they can't fill every cabin to capacity, but they can now sell more cabins at double occupancy which presumably means more revenue overall. My guess is that the typical passenger count won't change very much after the new cabins are added.

Our last best guess was that they were adding 50 new cabins give or take a few, so at double occupancy that's about another 100 people. They could offset that if necessary by reducing the number of triple and quadruple occupancy bookings.

Couldn't they reduce the number of employees on the ship to offset the increase in the passengers?  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, fscool said:

Couldn't they reduce the number of employees on the ship to offset the increase in the passengers?  

Generally speaking, crew members do not use the lifeboats unless they are manning them. The rest of the crew use a different type of evacuation system, so reducing the number of crew members won't increase the lifeboat capacity for guests.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, Lloyd555 said:

Work on area of deck 14 & 15 area above the bridge.

In the 1st photo from Royal Caribbean's Press Center, some large sections are visible. In the second photo, the edge of a large section can be seen in the foreground.

DECK 14 and 15b.jpg

DECK 14 and 15.jpg

Thanks for these photos.  We have relatives booked into 14526, one of the larger panoramic oceanview cabins being added to deck 14 on the corner, post dry-dock.  Looking forward to seeing what those cabins look like in person.  We have had panoramic cabins on other ships and loved them but these will be a first on an Oasis class ship.

4 hours ago, Pratique said:

Generally speaking, crew members do not use the lifeboats unless they are manning them. The rest of the crew use a different type of evacuation system, so reducing the number of crew members won't increase the lifeboat capacity for guests.

Yes, they use the chute down into the inflatables.  I had a video posted, but they deleted it.

11 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Nah... getting that one drink at Bionic bar is the coolest... then you realize that you paid WAY too much for a Long Island and you sink into a depression.

At least you get a cool "show!"

We ordered a drink once from the bionic bar.  Drink wasn’t nearly as good as from a shp bar.  It was also served in a paper cup, which wasn’t very appealing.

36 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Not a refurb question but a general Oasis of the Seas question. In the Solarium Bistro at dinner is it strictly buffet or do you order off a menu for the main course?

Buffet is complimentary but there are a few upcharge items to choose from (no menu per se but the server will tell you what's available).

Edited by Pratique

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Buffet is complimentary but there are a few upcharge items to choose from (no menu per se but the server will tell you what's available).

There actually is a menu, available through the cruise planner (unless something has changed since my 2018 Harmony cruise).

53 minutes ago, teme said:

How things have gone usually with refurbs, should I expect some kind of issues? 

There are some things that may still need finishing, but generally you should not see much of that and it shouldn't affect your sailing.

51 minutes ago, Pratique said:
Ugh I can't bear to watch but I can't look away...

I'd like to think that the cranes in Cadiz are better anchored and less like to crash on the ship like in Freeport.

Biker, who wonders if the CC resident weld quality inspector @Thorben-Hendrik has any thoughts on Spanish workmanship.

Edited by Biker19

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I'd like to think that the cranes in Cadiz are better anchored and less like to crash on the ship like in Freeport.

Biker, who wonders if the CC resident weld quality inspector @Thorben-Hendrik has any thoughts on Spanish workmanship.

It's not the cranes I'm worried about, it's the holes they've cut in the hull and those ghastly slides. Poor ship.

On 9/30/2019 at 2:15 PM, Pratique said:

On Ovation the muster drill video specifically states "some guests may be led to a marine evacuation chute" and the animated video shows people using the chutes down into an inflatable raft.  

If Ovation can put guests into the chutes, no reason why Oasis class couldn't, in theory.  It must be approved through SOLAS for Ovation if they are planning for it.  

That being said Freedom and Voyager class added cabins without adding lifeboat seats.  Did they cut crew?

1 minute ago, twangster said:

That being said Freedom and Voyager class added cabins without adding lifeboat seats.  Did they cut crew?

No, there was excess lifeboat capacity.